Can't find article re: Ram optimizers doing more harm than good

PeteWalker74

Limp Gawd
Hey guys...

I have googled it using many, many terms, but am unable to find an article which outlines the reasons why ram optimizers at best do nothing, and at worst they can make performance worse. It was on the [H] front page a while back, but no search through the archives pulls anything up (broken?).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys.

All I can say is by running ram optimizers, you're taking up ram, so in turn some of your ram is being used.
I see you have 1gig of ram, so you won't need it

-nertil

Originally posted by nertil1
All I can say is by running ram optimizers, you're taking up ram, so in turn some of your ram is being used.
In my opinion just but another stick of ram and get at least 512

There's a possibility that the small amount of ram they use might be worthwile if they are a marked improvement on windows' default ram managment. I don't know if any of them are.
I personally feel windows is to pagefile-happy compared to, say, FreeBSD, but for all I know it might be the best solution for windows.

Originally posted by HHunt
There's a possibility that the small amount of ram they use might be worthwile if they are a marked improvement on windows' default ram managment. I don't know if any of them are.
I personally feel windows is to pagefile-happy compared to, say, FreeBSD, but for all I know it might be the best solution for windows.

Or it might just be the best solution... ;) The problem with ram add ons is they have been known to page stuff out to disk, that has no business being on disk. (Kernel for example)

Generally the operating system will be able to handle memory much better than any addon program. These ram optimizer programs just fool the operating system into doing stuff that it didn't intend to do(kinda like putting a resistor on the maf to alter the air flow reading in order to change the air/fuel mixture). Though I have noticed windows is a dog with the swap file.

To hell with proof, just make assumptions about it:

If it was useful, MSFT would've bought them out and included it in windows.

Besides, any product that's almost exclusively marketed through spam and popups has very little chance of being of any use.

Guys, I didn't ask for opinions... I don't care whether it's good or not, or whether I need it or not. I asked for someone to give me the link for the article I was speaking about.

Just answer what is asked, don't go off on your own.

Thanks anyway.

Back