Cant find an E8400 anywhere

jfuze

Limp Gawd
Are there any magical websites selling it less than $250 that I dont know about? This is the last piece I need for my build and cannot find it anywhere. :( its driving me crazy!

Ive been calling Microcenter every day for the past week and they havent had any in. (its been "weeks" they tell me)

Or maybe someone has an extra new one they could slip me at a good price? idk what to do anymore. :confused:

i was set on the e8400 but since i couldnt find it anywhere, i started looking at the quads and now im kinda happy i didnt order a e8400. goin with the q6600 instead.

Even NCIX, which is a large store and Intel launch partner, say the next lot will not arrive before april at least (with a few units at a time before them, all going to fill backorders).

They are tough to find now, some places have/had oem chips recently, I think ewiz did,or does. For my second chip I bought an E3110 Xeon and I like it. Still have my 8400 tho too.

Larry

Nice find. But I still go for quad since its 200 at microcenter

Do whatever you want. The thread is about finding an e8400. Also, the microcenter deal is In-Store, and not everyone has a microcenter in their neck of the woods.

Shipping is $12.49 GROUND! For a 0.1 pound item! Are you kidding me? :eek:

heh, good to see others think this is insane too :p I wouldn't trust it to work & don't advocate it - but wouldn't it be feasible to ship something as small as this in a typical letter envelope w/a little foam/bubble wrap?

Respect: $hipping

Do you guys think we'll see the E8400 show up at more online stores now that TigerDirect has them in stock? Also, I still have a CPU cooler that came with a Pentium D 940 retail box. Would that fit the E8400 if I buy an OEM version? I think it will if the heat spreader is the same size on both chips, which since both are Socket 775 makes sense it wiould be.

man at least you guys have the option of a company actually shipping to canada. I live in the other country(mexico) good look finding a us store that will ship here! well anyways, yeah seems the e8400 is out of stock everywhere! good thing im not buying. If i was it would be a huge hassel just to get someone to pick it up for me since I don't have a working visa atm.

I was at Microcenter yesterday & they had zero stock. They also had no idea when they would get new inventory.

Have you checked to see if a tracking number was issued? I ordered an E8400 from these guys mid week AFTER talking with a rep on the phone to insure availability and an hour later I recieved an email indicating they were sorry but OOS. I hope you get your CPU but frankly I will never order anything for TD again.

Have you checked to see if a tracking number was issued? I ordered an E8400 from these guys mid week AFTER talking with a rep on the phone to insure availability and an hour later I recieved an email indicating they were sorry but OOS. I hope you get your CPU but frankly I will never order anything for TD again.

I ordered it last night and it shipped last night.... they emailed me a tracking number with UPS and everything. It's already in Illinois and im in Michigan so it should be here Monday.

So far so good with my first order ever with TigerDirect.

Sucks that happened to you. :(

Yeah I don't particularly like dealing with TD, either. Plus as already stated the shipping is cost is a joke. Anyone know if a HSF that came with a Pentium D 940 retail box will fit the E8400? I think it will if the heat spreader is the same size on both chips, which since both are Socket 775 makes sense they would be. But anyone know for sure?

Hey jfuze, let us know how it it goes with your E8400 order from TD. By the way, where are ya in Michigan? I'm from Mich too, just south of Detroit. Nice to meet ya!

Yes, it will work fine. However, it's a little smaller.

I'm actually going to use my e8400 hsf to replace my smaller pentium D hsf.

I purchased my e8400 retail from Mynlith.... it was $250 shipped though.

I was pissed about the shipping cost at TD, but just gave in. Dont really have the patience right now to keep worrying about whether or not i'll be able to find one. Knowing my luck, Microcenter will get them in again next week and sell them for $189 :c\

Anyways!

Anyone have a suggestion a good cooler to get for around $40? Even if I got the retail e8400 i would still be buying an aftermarket cooler because I do plan on overclocking a bit.

The Freezer 7 Pro looks great for $26, but is there something else under $50 that can get me a nice stable overclock?

I used the freezer pro on my D 805 and it was good to 4.0, so it should work fine on the E8400.

New to the forums, Hello. As far as Heatsinks and fans go, your Intel Dual Core Fan and heatsink should work just fine on an OEM E8400. Last year I tried an 840 EE Smithfield fan and heatsink on my E6600. The Copper core on the 840 EE heatsink is larger than the one for the E6600. I'm no expert on any of this but it seems the extra copper in the 840 EE heatsink didn't help cool the E6600 any better than the smaller stock E6600 copper core heatsink. I think Copper works better on Netburst Chips and Aluminum works better on these New Core 2 chips. Just my 2 cents!

New to the forums, Hello. As far as Heatsinks and fans go, your Intel Dual Core Fan and heatsink should work just fine on an OEM E8400. Last year I tried an 840 EE Smithfield fan and heatsink on my E6600. The Copper core on the 840 EE heatsink is larger than the one for the E6600. I'm no expert on any of this but it seems the extra copper in the 840 EE heatsink didn't help cool the E6600 any better than the smaller stock E6600 copper core heatsink. I think Copper works better on Netburst Chips and Aluminum works better on these New Core 2 chips. Just my 2 cents!

hm, no.

Copper is inherently better at cooling than aluminum regardless of chip.

If anything it's not enough copper to make a difference, or the heatsink design has changed.

Was at the Fountain Valley Fry's and checked on the E8400 retail box stock and they had none but they found the last one at Anaheim Fry's. They called it in and held it for me.
Microcenter Tustin was aout as expected. A little miffed to pay $225 instead of the $190 deal at Microcenter but with a little luck on my side Tustin MC will get stock in in the next 29 days and keep the price below $200 so I can PM Fry's.

GL on your Quest for a E8400 ;)

Since newegg was out of the E8400's for so long I just had my buddy in Cali go over to Fry's.. they had a pile of the cpu's for $220 and he mailed it to me. Since St. Louis has no Fry's it was the best I could do.

Unless it's on newegg or Petra's I'm not going to order it online.

Funny about MWave. Two weeks ago you could get one for $219.00 (Retail) plus tax and shipping for me. Came up to something like $242.00 and I told myself NO...

Found a trader here on Hardocp (tuskenraider) and got one from him for $190.00 shipped. Got it in a couple of days and am very, very happy.

Now I see MWave has OEM for $255.00. Wow, guess it's that supply and demand thing. But I love the speed of this processor. Fast, real fast.

Good luck to all looking for these. See on Pricewatch price is around $282.99.

:)

Since newegg was out of the E8400's for so long I just had my buddy in Cali go over to Fry's.. they had a pile of the cpu's for $220 and he mailed it to me. Since St. Louis has no Fry's it was the best I could do.

Unless it's on newegg or Petra's I'm not going to order it online.

Wow petra's sells cpus now? :eek:

I was pissed about the shipping cost at TD, but just gave in. Dont really have the patience right now to keep worrying about whether or not i'll be able to find one. Knowing my luck, Microcenter will get them in again next week and sell them for $189 :c\

Anyways!

Anyone have a suggestion a good cooler to get for around $40? Even if I got the retail e8400 i would still be buying an aftermarket cooler because I do plan on overclocking a bit.

The Freezer 7 Pro looks great for $26, but is there something else under $50 that can get me a nice stable overclock?

you can get an ultra 120 (not extreme) for $39 at tankguys. theres maybe a 1 or 2c difference in temps from the extreme.

I'm glad I got mine when I did. I got mine from tankguys and they had them for $199 with google checkout at the time. The prices have gone up everywhere due to demand since then.

I like Tankguys because they let you know what batches they have and if they have multiple batches you can request a certain one. I got a week 45A from them and it clocks great. Hopefully they'll have more in soon. The Xeon 3110 should be a good choice since it's basically the same chip as the e8400.

Was driving back from Boston and decided to get a e8400 at Microcenter in Cambridge, MA. The guy I talked to said they didn't have any in stock and he had no idea when they would be in. So to the people saying just go to Microcenter, they don't necessarily have stock even if you have one near you. They did have a q6600 on said for 199 tho which was tempting. But I currently have a e6600 @ 3gigs so I will probably just wait till the new quads hit to get a processor since I couldn't get an e8400.

WTF is going on? Did Intel really drop the ball here, or is this CPU really selling that well, or a little of both?

I can't believe I've had so much trouble getting a single CPU.

hm, no.

Copper is inherently better at cooling than aluminum regardless of chip.

If anything it's not enough copper to make a difference, or the heatsink design has changed.

Copper is far superior at absorbing heat than aluminum, but it retains more heat. Aluminum is kind of the opposite. Top notch heat dissipation, but sucks at wicking it up. Why do you think so many heatsink manufacturers use both materials? (then again, you get the problems of mating two different metals together, how to minimize thermal resistance at the Al and Cu joints, blah, blah...)

Back