Can't figure out how to get DSL modem into bridge mode

RyanVM

Limp Gawd
I've got a Thomson ST546 DSL modem/router and a Linksys WRT350N running dd-wrt v24rc4. I want to have my Linksys router do all of the routing work, as the current setup is rather shaky with both trying to act as routers (double NAT and all that).

From what I've been able to find in researching this myself, it appears that it should be possible to set the ST546 to run in bridge mode, which will then allow my WRT350N to do all of the work. However, everywhere I've seen that calls this setup the solution doesn't bother to say how it's actually done. Apparently it's assumed that I'll know how to do it, which isn't the case :).

Do any of you have experience with this type of setup and have more information as to how to get things properly setup? If you need any clarification of what I said, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks!

This is a very device-specific question. You need to download and save the manual(s) locally. You also should prepare by recording all your ISP settings, passwords, phone numbers, and by getting to know the modem-router and your dedicated router before making changes. Exporting the settings could be a good idea. All these because once you start mucking around, there's a chance that it'll be some time before you get it all working and you're back online.

From the User's Guide:

You can also connect to the Internet using a Broadband PPPoE dial-in application.
The PPP over Ethernet connection scenario provides PPP-like dial-in behaviour over
the virtual Ethernet segment.
To be able to use a broadband dial-in application on your computer for connecting
to the Internet, the SpeedTouch™ needs to be configured for Bridged Ethernet or
Routed PPPoE (with PPPoE relay) via the SpeedTouch™ Home Install Wizard on the
Setup CD or the embedded Easy Setup. .

http://www.thomsontelecompartner.com/en/products/viewanaccessproduct.php?id=80

(Which has no details on the embedded Easy Setup other than how you launch it.)

In theory, it should be simple to set up.

1. Connect directly, get into web interface.
2. Save settings.
3. Set it into bridged mode via wizard (it should be "Easy", right?).
4. Connect router to modem
5. Connect to router, get into web interface (might need DHCP release/renew)
6. Set up Internet PPPoE as per ISP requirements
7. Confirm Internet access.

Back