Cant Enable SLI >.<

JKownz

[H]ard|Gawd
I have two MSI GTX 570's. Both are not flashed or overclocked. my system is not overclocked as well and am running them a Asus Maximus IV with the newest bios out and newest drivers. PSU is a Corsair 1050 Watt. I just installed fresh windows and got a new sli bridge. no luck. My only temporary solution is when i go into device manager and disable and then re enable one vga adapter for Nvidia control panel to let me enable SLI. I tried reseating the cards and i find that only when i reseat them that they get detected. But once i restart Nvidia control panel says there is not device linked to the software. I single stress tested them both and work fine. I cant figure out if its a software or motherboard related issue or what.

Tried reseating both cards
Tried switching slots/ cards around
Tried a new SLI bridge
Tried install of new windows
Newest Bios is on Motherboard
nothing is overclocked
tried Previous versions of Nvidia drivers with Driver sweeper

Did you try both cards in the 2nd slot? Could be a bad connection on the slot.

Did you try both cards in the 2nd slot? Could be a bad connection on the slot.

yea i tried different slots. I cant seem to figure out why it enables when i reseat a card. Like it needs to install the hardware like adding a new device just so it enables SLI everytime. seems like some sort of software error when enabling SLI

IIRC, the only fix for my 275s was the SLI Patch worked great on my M4A79XTD EVO and my P8P67 PRO Try it and it should take care of the issues, you can find it here: SLI Patch

Do you have RealTek LAN/NIC? There is a lot of talk about updating or reverting that driver in order to get SLI working.

Do you have RealTek LAN/NIC? There is a lot of talk about updating or reverting that driver in order to get SLI working.

one that i have on this mobo are the Intel(R) 82583V Gigabit. odd how i just reseated the bottom card in a lower spot and put the new sli bridge on and now even when i restart sli is working fine. currently running 285.62 drivers. Im scared that out of the blue ( witch it has done over 15x already) when i get into windows it says there is no hardware associated with the devices on this computer and my resolution looks like crap. Im starting to think its a possibility that it is bad connection on the mobo pins in the pci express slots. Could be wrong, no way for me to tell. When i look at them closely with a flashlight they look fine.

It's most likely a driver issue or software issue. I had this exact same problem with my setup... every few days I'd boot up at low resolution and SLI was disabled. Very frustrating. I'm pretty sure it was a screwed up video driver in my case. I would reinstall the video drivers or update and the problem would go away... for a while. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I ended up reinstalling Windows and I haven't had the issue since.

So, the good news here is it's likely just software bugging out. The bad news is you might not fix the problem unless you nuke it and start over.

It's most likely a driver issue or software issue. I had this exact same problem with my setup... every few days I'd boot up at low resolution and SLI was disabled. Very frustrating. I'm pretty sure it was a screwed up video driver in my case. I would reinstall the video drivers or update and the problem would go away... for a while. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I ended up reinstalling Windows and I haven't had the issue since.

So, the good news here is it's likely just software bugging out. The bad news is you might not fix the problem unless you nuke it and start over.

forth thing on my list is windows fresh install. didn't solve it when i installed newest nvidia drivers. 295.73. I am running drivers 285.62. So far the restart and disabled drivers/lower resolution has not returned. not sure if i sat a video card just right or the software just clicked and started working. I hate that i am always at a constant state of worry it will just be disabled at any restart and i didnt find a actual reason for a issue and a resolve.

I'm usually the last person to say this, but reformating is what you probably need to do. I think people often jump the gun on that, but when you can't enable SLI after all you've done that's all that's left. I've run into this problem myself on one occasion and that's the only thing I could do.

If you have a spare hard drive you could install the OS on just to see if that would work, then go that route before wiping your existing drive and having to reload everything. That's what I did. When that worked I went ahead and reinstalled on my SSD.

I'm usually the last person to say this, but reformating is what you probably need to do. I think people often jump the gun on that, but when you can't enable SLI after all you've done that's all that's left. I've run into this problem myself on one occasion and that's the only thing I could do.

If you have a spare hard drive you could install the OS on just to see if that would work, then go that route before wiping your existing drive and having to reload everything. That's what I did. When that worked I went ahead and reinstalled on my SSD.

dont think you guys are reading my posts right . i formatted and started fresh 3 days ago. as soon as that didnt work i made this post

dont think you guys are reading my posts right . i formatted and started fresh 3 days ago. as soon as that didnt work i made this post

That wasn't actually clear to me. What slots do you have the cards in? I'm going to assume the board in your signature is the one you are currently using.

forth thing on my list is windows fresh install. didn't solve it when i installed newest nvidia drivers. 295.73. I am running drivers 285.62. So far the restart and disabled drivers/lower resolution has not returned. not sure if i sat a video card just right or the software just clicked and started working. I hate that i am always at a constant state of worry it will just be disabled at any restart and i didnt find a actual reason for a issue and a resolve.

Ah, sorry about that. I hate when people offer me useless info...

Do you run anything else in your PCIe slots or are you using the built in X-Fi? It's possible you have another device that's causing the problem.

There is an official statement today about nVidia drivers, SLI can't be enabled, and a Windows WMI timing bug. He also refutes that RealTek has anything to do with it:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=223426&st=400&p=1374512&#entry1374512

... there has been an ongoing, well-documented issue with ... SLI that seemed to pop up again with the 290 ...
This is not a Realtek or NVIDIA driver bug. It is a timing issue with Microsoft's WMI. We will have a workaround in the next driver release.
There's also a handful of users that say the driver claims no hw found on reboot, and they have to reinstall the driver each boot ... I bet it's the same issue just without SLI.

There is an official statement today about nVidia drivers, SLI can't be enabled, and a Windows WMI timing bug. He also refutes that RealTek has anything to do with it:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=223426&st=400&p=1374512&#entry1374512

There's also a handful of users that say the driver claims no hw found on reboot, and they have to reinstall the driver each boot ... I bet it's the same issue just without SLI.

pretty much exactly what is happening in that forum post. but as SLi mode. At least its not me going crazy thinking its my hardware.

I'm having this issue now and I searched google and found this thread. This is Nvidia BS. When I was running crossfire I never had an issue once. Now with these blasted 670s the ONLY time it will allow SLi is on a fresh install. I don't want to have to re-install windows every time Nvidia releases a driver. Horseshit man. That isn't always convenient. I've read for YEARS on here how "great" nvidia's drivers and compatibility is. I just don't agree.

My 2 670s are working just fine after having a 5970 installed on the same 6-month-old windows 7 install. I always do a driver sweep between new driver installations (not that you even need to, just an old habit from my ATI days).

I have two MSI GTX 570's. Both are not flashed or overclocked. my system is not overclocked as well and am running them a Asus Maximus IV with the newest bios out and newest drivers. PSU is a Corsair 1050 Watt. I just installed fresh windows and got a new sli bridge. no luck. My only temporary solution is when i go into device manager and disable and then re enable one vga adapter for Nvidia control panel to let me enable SLI. I tried reseating the cards and i find that only when i reseat them that they get detected. But once i restart Nvidia control panel says there is not device linked to the software. I single stress tested them both and work fine. I cant figure out if its a software or motherboard related issue or what.

Tried a new SLI bridge
nothing is overclocked

Wow JKOwnz you did everything correctly. Even re-instlaling the OS. The only option is if you have a secondary crossfire/sli motherboard lying around to test if it could be some issue with the motherboard.

I'm having this issue now and I searched google and found this thread. This is Nvidia BS. When I was running crossfire I never had an issue once. Now with these blasted 670s the ONLY time it will allow SLi is on a fresh install. I don't want to have to re-install windows every time Nvidia releases a driver. Horseshit man. That isn't always convenient. I've read for YEARS on here how "great" nvidia's drivers and compatibility is. I just don't agree.

Driver issues will ALWAYS happen. This is something you can't avoid by switching brands. You have to wait for Nvidia to correct this. Aslong as your system is stable and you can run all your programs/games fine you don't really need to update your drivers. I know this isn't much, but be glad your current system at the present time is stable and working.

This is a great example to show everyone that nVidia has driver issues too. In the more recent times (G80/RV600 era) the drivers have been the same quality. Shit happens, it's life.

Tried a new SLI bridge
nothing is overclocked

Reformat. Reinstall everything. I'm normally the last guy to say that, but I've seen it happen too many times with NVIDIA cards. For whatever reason SLI ends up broken on some machines and that turns out to be the only solution. It happened on my own personal rig once while using dual GTX 580's. Your post said something about installing new Windows, but was that an upgrade, reinstallation over the current one, different version or what? I've also found that Driver Sweeper is unreliable at best. I don't think it's been updated in awhile and it still leaves stuff behind.

I think I found out ONE of my issues. It seems that Nvidia SLi doesn't work if you have a diplaylink based USB monitor attached to the system. Once I removed it and uninstalled the displaylink drivers SLi enabled. Having other wierd issues but at least I know I can get SLi running now.

Back