Can't enable SLI with NVidia Surround

I went to NVidia.com today and did a Live Chat with their support. I can confirm they acknowledged it's a known issue and said it'll be fixed in upcoming driver releases. No confirmation for the next version of the driver release date or if it'll be fixed in the next release.

Nvidia have also updated the original cross post on their forums advising that the fix will be in the next release, if only we know when the Beta's were coming.

Sweet! I still didn't get to try it yet. Can't wait to try it ASAP.

Update: Tried the new Beta driver and can confirm its working!

Last edited:
Can anyone confirm this is fixed on the release drivers? Mine still doesn't want to work (clean install) getting the same issues?

I've tried 320.49 and the newer beta as well and still not working. 2 gtx460s that used to work on old platform. Z87-A MB. Any updates?

I've tried 320.49 and the newer beta as well and still not working. 2 gtx460s that used to work on old platform. Z87-A MB. Any updates?

As far as I'm aware 320.49 was meant to resolve the problem across the board, if you've performed a clean install of the drivers and it's still present you might want to raise a new nvidia support ticket. Their techs are pretty helpful and will work with you to reproduce on their end if it is indeed a problem with their software.

so, I had a single MSI GTX770 4GB and running on three monitors. I wanted to get another 770 for the longest time, but MSI hasn't had stock on them since Black Friday. I finally said the hell with it and picked up a Zotac GTX770 4GB card for SLI thinking my rig would kick ass. I get home, plugged it in, and for some reason it was running at 1/3 the speed of the single card. I thought something might have gotten messed up with the driver installation. I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, but still nothing. I reformatted my computer twice, still the same thing. I tried each card on it's own to see if they were working, no problems there. I started to think my power supply was not working right (Antec 850, but a few years old). I heard a clicking noise in my computer after a bit that sounded like it was coming from my power supply (I have SSDs, no HDDs, so it wasn't that). I went out and bought a new 850WATT power supply, still the same problem. I test them on one screen, SLI works great, really close to twice the speed. As soon as I enable all three, it's 1/3 the speed of a single card. Driver version 335.23, btw. I have noticed a few of you posted having 2600k or 2500k and that it worked fine for you. Any clue why I'm getting such poor speed with SLI and Surround together? What drivers were you guys using back then?

2600K @ 4.7GHz
MSI Z68-GD55-G3

so, I had a single MSI GTX770 4GB and running on three monitors. I wanted to get another 770 for the longest time, but MSI hasn't had stock on them since Black Friday. I finally said the hell with it and picked up a Zotac GTX770 4GB card for SLI thinking my rig would kick ass. I get home, plugged it in, and for some reason it was running at 1/3 the speed of the single card. I thought something might have gotten messed up with the driver installation. I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, but still nothing. I reformatted my computer twice, still the same thing. I tried each card on it's own to see if they were working, no problems there. I started to think my power supply was not working right (Antec 850, but a few years old). I heard a clicking noise in my computer after a bit that sounded like it was coming from my power supply (I have SSDs, no HDDs, so it wasn't that). I went out and bought a new 850WATT power supply, still the same problem. I test them on one screen, SLI works great, really close to twice the speed. As soon as I enable all three, it's 1/3 the speed of a single card. Driver version 335.23, btw. I have noticed a few of you posted having 2600k or 2500k and that it worked fine for you. Any clue why I'm getting such poor speed with SLI and Surround together? What drivers were you guys using back then?

2600K @ 4.7GHz
MSI Z68-GD55-G3

Might be worth a shot to check with the manufacturers for BIOS updates on each card.

BIOS of the mobo is up to date, Jan of this year, actually.
I'm on the phone with Zotac now, the maker of the second card. I have built computers for a long time now and I have never seen a BIOS update for a graphics card. Have changed the ROM of then with NiBiTor long time ago, but that wasn't by the manufacturer, I was overclocking myself.
Z68 chipset on this. What was the other people's that were able to get it working with the 2600K? Or driver version of the graphics cards? Any suggestions at all?

EDIT: Wow, I got a response back from NVidia, MSI, and Zotac. MSI has sent me a new BIOS for my mobo to try, just about to try now..... Still didn't work

To give an example of the speeds I mean. Heaven Benchmark

Single card, single display 897
Single card, surround display 675
SLI cards, single display 1728
SLI cards, surround display 432

Last edited:
I'm getting the same results with my SLI/Surround setup. Granted I have an old P6T-SE mobo which was never meant to do SLI, but I cross flashed it and my performance is basically the same as yours (mac_angel)

If you get any answers or ideas I'd definitely like to hear about them.

It doesn't appear to be anything to do with PCIE lane speed. It just seems as though SLI is awful in surround mode.

My gear:

i7 920 @ 3.2ghz - 12GB 9-9-9 1600mhz
Asus p6t-se crossflashed to Asus p6t deluxe
Gainward 780 GLH (PCIE 2.0 16x)
Gainward 780 GLH (PCIE 2.0 8x)
1KW PSU (Be Quiet Dark Power thing)

Edited to add: one strange thing I've noticed is that running Assetto Corsa in borderless windowed mode seems to get me the benefit of SLI FPS, and no microstuttering either. Very odd, but perf is up over a single card by about 60% (not tested, just my ball park guess) so whatever you're playing it might be worth trying that (if possible). Expect this is a driver issue with nvidia.

Last edited:
okay, little update. NVidia and MSI closed the tickets on me since they couldn't find a solution, and couldn't duplicate the problem because my X68 motherboard is too old. I got both to reopen the ticket because I finally was able to find another MSI GTX770 4GB card, so I took back the Zotac (horrible support), paid the restocking fee and paid the difference to get the more expensive MSI card. Only to come home, plug it in, and still have the exact same problem. I have been calling and emailing MSI to ask for an update for the past two weeks and no one would respond. I finally got someone on the phone and kept asking to speak with a manager. He kept dodging me, saying he needed to know what the problem was. He said that since I replaced the Zotac card with MSI, that it was probably a motherboard issue, and offered to RMA it. But with the same motherboard. I asked if he was going to guaranty that the motherboard they send me was going to work with my set up and he said there was no way that they can test it with my exact set up. I kept saying that without that, it would be a waste of time for me to take my whole system apart, spend money on shipping it in, waiting around even longer (it's been over a month) for it to return, and still could end up with the same problem.

Personally, I think this is driver related as well. I still have Flash crashing in Internet Explorer and Chrome when I have multiple windows open. If it's a single card, no problem. SLI, single monitor, no problem. SLI and Surround, Flash crashes, and games run slow. If they could at least guaranty that the z77 chipset works, I wouldn't even mind upgrading to that. But I'm not wasting any more money without someone telling me that they know for sure what the specific problem is and exactly what will fix it.

Back