cant deside

Homey D. Clown

Limp Gawd
I'm trying to deside should I go with a GeForce 8300 chipset and run Hybrid SLI or get a AMD 790? I've heard a lot of really good things about the AMD chipset but would I get better performance running a Hyrbrid SLI? Comp. is used almost totally for FPS gaming! Far Cry 2,Crysis,Gears Of War etc. I am going to be upgrading the processor and memory also! was looking to either get the P2 720 or The 7750 X2 and 4GB of DDR2 1066 or 3 depending on which processor I go.

AFAIK, hybrid SLI is a power saving feature, it switches to the onboard chip and powers down the main card when you dont need the sheer power, IE on the desktop. Even if it were to add the onboard gpu to the mix when gaming, the power a 8300 would add to a gtx 260 is gonna be sub 1 fps in any reasonable situation.

In short, if you dont want the gtx 260 eating power when idling, go for the 8300, if you want to tweak your cpu's brains out (some 720's can be unlocked to quad core using the sb750 chip most good 790 board come with), go with the AMD.

Ever since amd got their chipset game together, i see no reason what so ever to buy nvidia chipset boards anymore, AFAIK they dont even have a high end chip for amd these days..

yeah the decision really depends on where you plan to go in the future.. hybrid SLI's nice but its nothing compared to ATI's hybrid crossfireX.. like drfreeze said though its great if you want to save power.. but the gtx 260 cant take advantage of it like ATI's hybrid crossfire can when gaming.. the 720's the best choice if you get a board that can enable the 4th core.. but board makers are coming out with bios to now allow the 4th core to be enabled now that AMD scrapped the x4 945 and is turning them all into 720's.. so the new batches of the 720 are actually 4 perfectly good cores with 1 core software disabled.. but in all honestly id go with the AMD chipset.. gives you a lot more choices.. especially with overclocking.. why nvidia seems to fail at creating an am3 board no one knows but ive pretty much lost all confidence in nvidia especially on the AMD side over the last couple years..

yeah the decision really depends on where you plan to go in the future.. hybrid SLI's nice but its nothing compared to ATI's hybrid crossfireX.. like drfreeze said though its great if you want to save power.. but the gtx 260 cant take advantage of it like ATI's hybrid crossfire can when gaming..

i would actually argue that hybrid SLI is better then hybrid cfx. The thing is, HCFX only works with a handfull of low-end cards (3450 and such), so when you plug in a big bad HD4870X2 into your GX790 mobo, that big bad mofo of a card will still suck down lots of watts when you are getting your [H] on. Change the whole thing over to the Nvidia side of things, and your GTX 295 will be switched totally off..

Sure Ati might provide more performance if you have a 780g mobo and a 3450 compared to nvidia for the same price, but who the hell buys a 3450 for the performance? today you can get a very nice budget card like the 4670 for 65 euros... why bother with hybrid crossfireX?

Back