Can't delete Flash9e.ocx in vista

celwin

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been trying to delete Flash9e.ocx from a non boot drive in Vista for sometime. Keep getting access denied errors. I took ownership and gave myself full rights. The file still won't be deleted. I even activated the administrator account and tried deleting it from under the administrator login. NADA. It's Adobe Flash file. Now I know there is a flash uninstall unility I can download, but that utility by default removes/looks the file on the C drive. As mentioned earlier the file is not on my c drive. Any ideas?

You can also boot a PE CD (like UBCD4Win), Knoppix, or any LiveCD that supports NTFS and just nuke the file. You could also try booting safe mode as well.

Guys I ran across the same problem in WinXP. I tried unlocker, booting from at least 5 different boot cds, including Knoppix and the file cannot be deleted.
It used to say file is in use now it doesn't specify the file name. It just says "Access Denied" like there is a wrong encoding in the filename character and it doesn't recognize it.
Any help.
Thanks,

PS: I can rename the file to whatever I like but it won't let me delete them. It's like the hard drive space was allocated for it and locked, no matter what I call it.
And they are not even in windows install folder. They are just files on backup HDD (not in use)

It's not deleting because System File Protection is replacing it nearly instantly as soon as you do delete it. And if you can't delete that one single file by booting from some CD and accessing the drive/partition and removing it that way, something is seriously wrong there. The problem is as soon as you delete it and reboot back into Windows, System File Protection is going to delete it once again from the file cache and from WinSxS - that's the whole idea behind it.

99% of the time you should be able to install the standalone Flashplayer from Adobe (not the ActiveX version) and then simply uninstall it - that should remove all traces of Flash from your system, lock stock and barrel.

PS: I can rename the file to whatever I like but it won't let me delete them. It's like the hard drive space was allocated for it and locked, no matter what I call it.

Ive had this problem a few times with different stuff. Typically i rename it to a txt file, reboot the computer and then i can delete it

Ive had this problem a few times with different stuff. Typically i rename it to a txt file, reboot the computer and then i can delete it

I would assume this would work, the file is probably locked because some process has it open. A rename and reboot should allow you to eliminate it.

Thnx guys, but none of the stuff you suggested works.
Is Flash really THAT desperate to make you keep their software on our computer that they make their files unrecognizable by WinOS.
Geez, after this I'm not using Flash anymore, I'll go for some open-source alternative.

It's not deleting because System File Protection is replacing it nearly instantly as soon as you do delete it. And if you can't delete that one single file by booting from some CD and accessing the drive/partition and removing it that way, something is seriously wrong there. The problem is as soon as you delete it and reboot back into Windows, System File Protection is going to delete it once again from the file cache and from WinSxS - that's the whole idea behind it.

99% of the time you should be able to install the standalone Flashplayer from Adobe (not the ActiveX version) and then simply uninstall it - that should remove all traces of Flash from your system, lock stock and barrel.

System file protection has nothing to do with it, its not a windows system file.

System file protection has nothing to do with it, its not a windows system file.

I was thinking the same thing...

Anyway, it's either in use, or the disk is corrupted where the files is stored. I would use some kind of bootable CD with some disk tools and use that to delete it.

I have a similar problem except it's a torjan DLL. I use unlocker, and trying rename, move, delete etc., the DLL itself is attached to winlogon.exe, thus, everytime unlocker try to delete or rename, the machine simply reboot itself.

Should I just try booting from a CD then?

Try unlocker first.

If that don't work, boot to safe mode and delete it with in cmd

Adobe's website has a Flash remover somewhere. Check that.

If it doesn't work, then I have a question for you: Have you ever clicked links from emails with the subject header "CNN.com Daily Top 10"? If so, then this is probably your issue - http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/101495

Back