Can't defrag to 100% - O&O in Vista x64

Hey guys,

Hope this is in the right category, I've tried posting this in multiple forums to no avail.

I have 1 80gb hard drive for Vista, 1 80gb for installing programs to, and 1 640gb for storage. After installing Vista and doing updates and whatnot, my Vista hard drive seems to be stuck at about 40% fragmentation.

I've tried using O&O normally (in every possible way - /space, /name, etc), using it during boot time, and I've even tried other defragmenting software.

My hard drive has about 50gb of free space and I've also tried turning off EVERY running piece of software (minus the vitals).

Any ideas? If it comes to it, I'll just reformat, but I hope I don't run into this problem again :(

Try a different defrag utility, such as Auslogics, and see if that will finish. I've never been a fan of O&O products.

Ah-hah!

Thanks for that, I ran it and it cleared up a lot. I'm now at 27% fragmentation - according to O&O.

I also just figured out that if you click on the colored blocks (representing which data is where on your hard drive) in O&O it tells you what file that block is a part of. Apparently, I have a huge section of "locked" files. When I click on them, it shows that they're all a part of "pagefile.sys"

So, I think maybe I need to move my pagefile someplace else? I'm just guessing here. And TBH, if that's the case, I'm lost about how to go about doing that in Vista (why'd they change the control panel so much from xp?).

Thanks again. Any ideas about the pagefile?

You could always delete the pagefile, reboot, check the root of your disk for it, then defrag and reallocate it again.

Removing it in Vista is, IIRC, nearly identical to removing it from XP. i.e. right click on my computer > properties > select the option in the stupid vista properties dialog > advanced > performance > advanced, etc.

Cool, thanks. I have 4 gigs of memory, so for now, I just completely turned off pagefiling (it's stable this way so far).

Defragged again, and now it says I'm at 32% fragmented. The locked files are gone in O&O, but now it's showing a big block of fragmented files in "C:\System Volume Information"

Square one *sigh*

Nope, still fragmented. This is actually kinda frustrating, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

But thanks for all the help guys. Everyone here is very helpful - other forums seem to at least have some people bash you and call you a noob for trying to learn and ask questions.

Seriously, thanks. It's very much appreciated.

What if you try disabling System Restore to free up a lot of space, and then try again?

esotericsean - I've been having the same issues. This thread is reminding me that I need to email the fine people at O&O and ask what the deal is, thanks. :)

@Attica! - Yeah, O&O needs an update

@DeaconFrost - Uh, I think it's fixed. O&O reports 0.03% fragmentation :D

THANK YOU!

I uninstalled O&O about 2 days after I installed it, complete crap. Try perfectDisk, running quite well for me on Vista x64.

Age old question, is it really necessary to defrag to 100%, if in the process you're using more processing cycles to reorganize the data than it would take to access the same data in a partially fragmented state?

Back