Can't Decide

Tac

Limp Gawd
I'm looking to get and new phone and have narrowed it down between an Iphone or and HTC Fuze. I could really use some help as this will be my first smartphone.

Here are the things I'm looking for

good battery life (5+ hrs of talk time)
Stable OS
well designed HUD

If you have used one of these phones please give me some pros and cons from your experience. I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks
Tac

YMMV on the iphone battery life. It is the "it" device of course. Most like the OS and HUD as you call them.

It really depends on what you want the phone for.

Are you planning to type a lot with it? I don't mind the iPhone virtual keyboard, but the Fuze's physical keyboard is far better.

Use it as a media player? iPhone all the way.

Need the camera? Fuze is a bit better, with an LED flash, and can shoot (crappy, but at least it can shoot) video.

The Windows Mobile OS is crap. The oldest, least advanced smartphone OS available. If you have stubby fingers, a stylus is very helpful. iPhone OS and GUI are far slicker and easier to use.

It really depends on what you want the phone for.

Are you planning to type a lot with it? I don't mind the iPhone virtual keyboard, but the Fuze's physical keyboard is far better.

Use it as a media player? iPhone all the way.

Need the camera? Fuze is a bit better, with an LED flash, and can shoot (crappy, but at least it can shoot) video.

The Windows Mobile OS is crap. The oldest, least advanced smartphone OS available. If you have stubby fingers, a stylus is very helpful. iPhone OS and GUI are far slicker and easier to use.

You were right up until that last part. WinMo is what you make of it, same as Windows. You can take full control of your device (WinMo) or you can be limited by what your phone tells you you can do (all others). The choice is yours.

I'm looking to get and new phone and have narrowed it down between an Iphone or and HTC Fuze. I could really use some help as this will be my first smartphone.

Here are the things I'm looking for

good battery life (5+ hrs of talk time)
Stable OS
well designed HUD

If you have used one of these phones please give me some pros and cons from your experience. I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks
Tac

As a long-time ATT customer I recently faced the same exect decision. I've had the iphone 3g now for just one week and I couldn't be more pleased.

Based on my short time with the phone I wouldn't say the battery life is outstanding but it gets me through the day. With heavy usage it could require charging during the day. I keep the charger nearby but haven't had to use it except at night.

I haven't had any stability problems so far and the variety and usefulness of applications available from the AppStore is outstanding, IMO. Some really great stuff there.

If by HUD you mean the user interface, well, the iphone is just great. Extremely easy to use.

One thing that was important to me was a large (relatively speaking) LCD; I knew I would be using the phone a lot on the web.

Sure the iphone has its weaknesses (e.g., camera, lack of MMS and multitasking) but overall it's the phone that others are compared to.

:confused: All others? Explain. I don't know how to respond to this...

I wasn't aware there is any other custom ROM community anywhere near the scope of the WinMo community. Can you completely overhaul the OS on your phone with an iphone or blackberry? I changed what is the equivalent of a page file on my phone the other day to get a better layout of the memory for more performance. Can that be done on others? If so cool, but it'd be news to me.

Okay, well compared to an iPhone or Blackberry I guess WinMo is easier to "hack". It's just that you said, "All others." That's what I take issue with as Android and OpenMoko are both open source.

Anyway, we should only be comparing WinMo to iPhone for the purposes of this thread. WinMo is much more customizable, you're right. There are all kinds of hacks out there. But that's exactly the problem. It NEEDS to be hacked to make it usable (and even then...). There are some issues with iPhone's OS, but I think they're relatively minor compared to WinMo. The multi-tasking support is lacking in iPhone. Needing to jailbreak it, too.

I would need to know what the phone is being used for to recommend one over the other, though.

Back