Can't decide which video card I should get...

hey man we would love to help but you really arent giving enough info. Whats your current setup, cpu ram monitor type and size and resolution. Finally what games do you play?

Well im not gonna say the 8600 is bad but i guess its a decent card get the 4th one!

My setup is:
core 2 duo E8200
GIGABYTE GA-73PVM-S2
2 gb ram DDR2 800
160 gb hard drive.
HP 22" widescreen monitor 1680x1050

I like to play shooting, FSX game.

Will spend about 100 dollar for a graphic card. If there are anyother choice, plz tell me!! :)

an 8600 card wont really cut it at 1680x1050, you would be better of saving for an 8800gt

imo

o lol u can have diff choices um go for a 8800GTS 320mb there really cheap around $100-120 each but if u wanna put about $150-170 than get a 8800GT.

well.. I saw the 8800 video card is too long to fit on my mobo. It will block my sata connector if you look at the picture of the mobo link above.

Spend a pinch more money and get a 8800GS or if you can find one for around your price, a 9600GT.

Oops, i didnt see Sonic posted, but ill leave it just to reinfoce my point

Also you can get 90degree SATA cables then it should not block your ability to use a longer card.

dont buy a 8600GTS, just dont. It will not be good for you for the price you are spending.

8800GS FTW or 9600gt FTW, or 3850.

dont buy the 8600gts you will be dissapointed

pay a little extra (or the same price in some cases) and get a 9600gt or a hd3850 512mb

8800GS or 9600GT for sure.

EVGA all the way, they are an excellent company all the way around, I can't give them enough love.

NCIX has the an 8800GS for under $100 after an MIR.

Also, you think Gigabytes engineers would be fooled by placement of the sata ports? You can easily find sata brackets that elbow at one end to avoid problems like these. Guesstimating it looks like even with one of the old bulky dual slotted G80 coolers, it wouldn't block your sata ports.

excellent choice^

a 8600gt would be a mistake to have in your system.

8800GS or 9600GT for sure.

EVGA all the way, they are an excellent company all the way around, I can't give them enough love.

Whatever.. They screwed me right on the forums here and no one takes offense. I have a 7900gt here. A first run version. I might add a card that they knew had problems right off the assembly line. the first one I got was DOA. On the phone I specifically asked for the updated version of the card that didn't have the memory problems. They agreed. Instead they sent me the same old thing and it worked fine for a while. then the troubles started to rear their head. The card ran incredibly hot but was no where near the maximum. So I spent about 100 dollars on a nice water cooling system for my video card alone. Temps fell by 10c and the card was working. Well a few months ago the memory finally just died. Corruption in everything including the bios. I figure heck It's got a lifetime guarantee. So I inquire about what I needed to do for RMA. I was totally forthcoming about the fact that I had added a water cooler and I no longer had the screws or the fan to put the heatsink back on. I do have the heatsink, just not the required mounting hardware. I get told that since I don't have the screws I can't RMA. So I said ok, I'll get some screws. No answer. Then I inquired again. Now the new answer is. No you don't have the original fan! WTF? I though it was the screws. They said nothing about the fan at first. So. EVGA is not your friend! They are jerks just like the rest of them. They won't honor the warranty on the card if you ever need to use it. The sad Part is, I Know for a fact that XFX will RMA a card that doesn't even have a heastsink attached anymore.

Once again, the honest get burned while the dishonest prosper.

So, I say screw EVGA. Buy XFX...

It is now my personal mission to let everyone I can know about their shady practices.

I wouldn't be so upset if they didn't imply in the first place that they had no problem with replacing the cooler on the card. At the time of my purchase, this was a major selling point! (They advertised the fact!) They never once said.. If you lose the shitty little fan or the screws we won't honor our agreement.

By the way RussianHAXOR, If you read this I have a fan now. Can I RMA this POS now or are we gonna find another excuse?

IS PNY is a good MANUFACTURER for video card? or which MANUFACTURER is best for video card?
Is the size between 8 series and 9 series video card are the same? Thank you

XFX is who you want to do business with. They are a smaller company so it may take sometime to get an RMA if you need one. But, at least they will honor what they say.

I've gone through my fair share of EVGA rma's and its been pleasant every time.

@ballerX, why didn't you just keep the screws dude? Put them, and the heatsink, in a little ziplock bag and put that where you keep all your other warranties.

I'm beginning to think XFX is shilling people like BallerX here to spread these stories, I've seen a couple of really anti-EVGA pro-XFX stories like this in this forum.

But yeah, EVGA is fine with you taking off the heatsink/fan and putting on your own aftermarket cooler so long as afterward you put it all back on.

EVGA is a good company, XFX is a good company, and BFG is a good company. Each has their strengths and weaknesses but I have no trouble recommending any of em.

PNY is industry standard across the board. Industry standard 3 week turn around time. Industry standard 3 year limited warranty.

You know what MrWizard? Your an @$$O.. You see that 5.3 years by my name you fookdeep.. That would be an awful long shill to be running don't you think? What, like it's the XFX long con or something. I even have the original correspondence between RH and my self on the subject. I would post it but it was done by private message. Since I'm not a dishonest ass, I shall not unless I have his permission. Further more, you have no idea the circumstance surrounding the losing of the screws and fan. I happen to have roommates. The kind who borrow things like screws out of my parts bin. I also didn't mention that the freaking fan died so I chucked it. Hence why the card was overheating and also why i bought the water cooler in the first place.

No EVGA is not a good company. If they where, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Now accuse me of being a liar again.

Edit: The harsh words where uncalled for. I don't enjoy being called a liar regardless if one uses the qualifier LIKE. Your intent was clear. I over reacted. I don't know you. So I apologize.
I replaced the more offensive rhetoric with your much more subtle representation.

I'm beginning to think XFX is shilling people like BallerX here to spread these stories, I've seen a couple of really anti-EVGA pro-XFX stories like this in this forum.

If it walks like a duck.... The reason you see them is because EVGA are dishonest. We all know the cards are made by the same people. We all know that the first run of 7900's went tits up. The fact is XFX handled it. EVGA pissed a lot of people off.

Just be aware that the 8600GT is getting old and will not handle new games well at all. You can forget about running games at anything over 1024x768 resolution.

What do you mean. I have an XfX 8600gt 512mb (not sure which ddr because Cyberpower built this and on the page it does not say which one it is) and I play COD4 max at 1680 by 1050 with no AA and it runs totally fine. I also play all the orange box games at max with 2-4x AA with 8-16x AF. What do you mean by it won't handle anything over 1024x768 resolution?

You know what MrWizard? Your an @$$O.. You see that 5.3 years by my name you fookdeep. That would be an awful long shill to be running don't you think? What, like it's the XFX long con or something.

MrWizard6600 said:

Well, limp gawd... I respect people who read more then they talk, its a rare trait these days, but your a pretty good cantidate for a plant, not that I'm saying you are. NVs shilling ran pretty deep as you may recall.

And for the record, I'm cheap. Nvidia, you dont even have to give me a 30" monitor, just a couple 9800GTXs and maybe a 24"er, and I'll sing about how great Nvidia is.

BallerX said:
I also didn't mention that the freaking fan died so I chucked it. Hence why the card was overheating and also why I bought the water cooler in the first place.

ahh, fair enough. Still, keep that stuff around, even if its just for a later ghetto mod. My friend took a cooler from an EVGA 7 series KO card and mounted it to a 6600, then unlocked it and clocked the crap out of it till it started looking like a 6800.

No EVGA is not a good company. If they where, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Now accuse me of being a liar again.

My most recent experiance is a dead 680i board (just as many problems as the early 7900GTs no?). I RMAd it, less than 2 weeks later I had my new board. I sent it to them with the NB fan mounted even though they explicitally told me multiple times to take it off. They shipped me a new one at no charge to myself.

I have delt with EVGA at least a douzen times and I have no complaints of any kind. Speedy shipping, snappy turn around times, no bogus rejections.

If it walks like a duck.... The reason you see them is because EVGA are dishonest. We all know the cards are made by the same people. We all know that the first run of 7900's went tits up. The fact is XFX handled it. EVGA pissed a lot of people off.

EVGA didn't change their lifetime warranty service plan, anyone with a defective 7900GT or 7900GTX could have it returned just like everyone else, all advanced RMA and cross shipping features were available to them, just like everyone else.

If you call handling it sending me the same old POS revision they promised they wouldn't. The title just means I don't have a high post count. So, what does that say about how much I read VS how much I post.
I said, I'm not a dishonest ass. I didn't say, I'm not an ass.:D

Once again you called me shill in a roundabout way. I would have though you would get the point.

Don't take my word for it! Ask RH if everything I said is true, I have no problem with him. He is just the messenger.

Ah why you got to pick a card, that will kill this thread and I was having fun reading. :p

Back