Can't decide if I should sell my AiW ?

Sc0ttFern

Gawd
I recently built a new system. I have an ASUS P4C800 Deluxe mobo and a 2.8 (C) P4 CPU. I have a 420W PSU, and I have my CPU overclocked to 3.08Ghz.

My problems begin with my Radeon All in Wonder 9800 Pro. I do a fresh install of XP and get all updates install all Cats 3.10s and MMC 8.8 and I have come up with a couple issues that are UNACCEPTABLE FOR A $340 video card.

Problem 1) Whenever I watch TV on it, after 40 minutes or so, the monitor goes into sleep mode and won't come out of it. Yes, I turned off all power management options. I have to reset for the video signal to come back.'

Problem 2) While I am watching TV, whenever I exit the tuner, it crashes and I have to click "Do not send error report".

Problem 3) After I leave the computer on overnight, the next morning its noticeably sluggish and leaves artifacts when I delete files to the recycle bin. Also, it crashes when I go to play some of my Xvid/Divx .avi files........just won't play them and crashes Media Player or any other file player..........This was the final straw that broke the camels back.

I have turned off Fastwrite as well.

I do not like all these issues I am having, I never had them on my old XP box with a GF3 Ti200......Should I go back to a FX5800 or something for rock solid stability ?

First try everything with your CPU not overclocked to eliminate that, could be heat from the OC (even though it's a small OC).

Card runs fine with my setup in sig.

No OC by the way all stock.

CPU temp is 39C/104F

Mobo temp is 29C/89F

I have a Lian Li PC-65 case with 2 front fans, 1 rear, and 1 top fan.......

I guess I should turn off the OC

If your AGP bus is out of spec, your card is not going to run right.

If the AGP is at stock, then the card sounds like it's bad. RMA the bad boy if this is the case. The 9800 Pro AIW is amazing when it's working right.

Don't confuse rock solid stability when you may have a busted card. nvidia has busted cards too, and they don't even have TV in.

It's a great card, but the latest WDM drivers from Catalyst 3.10 drivers have issues. After watching TV for a half hour or so I get a hard lock and XP recovering from a device failure. The error refers to ativtmxx.dll, an overlay file in the WDM package.

I would hang on to your card as other people are having similar problems. Catalyst 4.0 should fix it.

Return or sell the card then pick up a non-AIW version and a TV card. AIW cards are nice when you have limited slots, but are really not worth it over a normal TV card if slot space isn't a problem.

Back