Can't decide, help me choose.

Matthew Kane

Supreme [H]ardness
So I've gotten into a little obsessive dilemma lately which I don't even know how to cope with any more as I don't know what to choose.

My current rig is my sig minus the 670 that was used as dedicated Physx that's sold but the problem is that I will be back with running lots and lots of VM's again and I also want to futureproof my rig a little longer this time for gaming.

Should I:

A. Pickup a used or brand new 3770k? Prices between $300-390 (latter being brand new).

B. Sell off the current crap I have (mobo and cpu) for whatever $$ I can recoup and put it towards a 4820k ($370 here) and a 2011 mobo (expensive here).

C. There's alot of used 2600k/3770k combos on our ebay domain:

This one looks tempting and the seller is willing to let it go for $400 but I feel it is a bit pricey:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/asus-max...0?pt=AU_Components&hash=item1c3bd28f28&_uhb=1

Especially when there are quite a few EVGA z77 FTW+3770k combo's going for around $450 (auction) on ebay right now probably because people are flogging it off for Haswell.

I can't decide but I'm sort of leaning towards the 2011 as my previous rig was a i7 980x R3E with 24GB's of RAM, with the 2011 I can upgrade to a 6 core 3930k for cheap or one of the new 2011 Ivy-E 4000 series CPU should the price come down. I might also be adding another 680 in the rig later this year.

Then I also read that Broadwell might be available for the 1150 socket up until Skylake which will be completely different so 1150 seem's a bit future proofed but I can't decide.

I also will need minimum 8 sata ports with whatever mobo I will be going. Honestly I hate the current GB Z68X I have.

Can anybody else help point me in the right direction?

So I've gotten into a little obsessive dilemma lately which I don't even know how to cope with any more as I don't know what to choose.

My current rig is my sig minus the 670 that was used as dedicated Physx that's sold but the problem is that I will be back with running lots and lots of VM's again and I also want to futureproof my rig a little longer this time for gaming.

Should I:

A. Pickup a used or brand new 3770k? Prices between $300-390 (latter being brand new).

B. Sell off the current crap I have (mobo and cpu) for whatever $$ I can recoup and put it towards a 4820k ($370 here) and a 2011 mobo (expensive here).

C. There's alot of used 2600k/3770k combos on our ebay domain:

This one looks tempting and the seller is willing to let it go for $400 but I feel it is a bit pricey:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/asus-max...0?pt=AU_Components&hash=item1c3bd28f28&_uhb=1

Especially when there are quite a few EVGA z77 FTW+3770k combo's going for around $450 (auction) on ebay right now probably because people are flogging it off for Haswell.

I can't decide but I'm sort of leaning towards the 2011 as my previous rig was a i7 980x R3E with 24GB's of RAM, with the 2011 I can upgrade to a 6 core 3930k for cheap or one of the new 2011 Ivy-E 4000 series CPU should the price come down. I might also be adding another 680 in the rig later this year.

Then I also read that Broadwell might be available for the 1150 socket up until Skylake which will be completely different so 1150 seem's a bit future proofed but I can't decide.

I also will need minimum 8 sata ports with whatever mobo I will be going. Honestly I hate the current GB Z68X I have.

Can anybody else help point me in the right direction?

Where is "here"

Back