Can't connect to GFWL

Gabriel

2[H]4U
Since yesterday, I haven't been able to connect to Windows live. Logging in to Dark Souls or SF x tekken I get:
The LIVE service may be unavailable, or there may be an issue with your home networking equipment or firewall

When I click on network status, the following info is shown.

Internet IP Address: Not signed in

System Link Address: Not Active

UpnP: Not signed in

What the hell is going on? I haven't changed any router/firewall/internet settings in years. Everything else works fine online. I can even go to the fucking xbox site and sign in there.

I'm having the same problem. I tried to play Batman yesterday and this morning and I get the same thing.

Did you install the latest GFWL client?

Makes sure all the pre-reqs are patched, too. Things like MS C++ Redist and such.

Also, GFWL will crush your soul. It is what it was designed to do. Another reason why it was the DRM of choice for the PC version of Dark Souls.

I am also unable to log into GFWL (Dark Souls). I'm guessing this isn't a coincidence and the service is having technical difficulties. I can log into the client fine, but unable to get any games to connect.

Edit: Looks like it's back up for me.

Last edited:
I uninstalled/reinstalled the client, but it still gives the same error :(

Did you have an xbox live subscription that has expired? This happened when I changed my card but didnt update Xbox.com. It charged me for the next installment but left me in deficit because I hadnt paid.

GFWL is really picky about network connectivity. Make sure you have ports open for it.

Probably better if you didn't install that POS on your computer anyway.

No, I don't have an Xbox live subscription. And it has worked (mostly) fine for the past 3 years I've been using this router and playing GFWL games.

Yeah, must be some technical troubles with it. I was playing halo 4 two nights before and got booted off. couldnt connect back to live. I wasnt able to play last night after working a 14 hour shift.

If you look at the Darksouls steam forum, a bunch of people are having this issue.

I've had this same issue since yesterday morning. I was hoping to get some summoning help with Kalameet in Dark Souls :p

I had this as well. This is just one of the reasons why i cant fucking stand GFWL! WHat a piece of shit.

I had the same problem last night trying to play Fallout 3.. ugh. Eventually it was back to working properly

the joys of the internet! Theres just so much that can go wrong, its amazing it works!

get a crack for the game

That.. doesn't really help in this situation. The game can still be played offline for those effected, but you can't use the online features such as the messages, bloodstains, and summoning/invading. Even if you did crack it for whatever reason you're still relegated to playing offline.

You aren't the only ones:

Microsoft said:
Starting from last night (February 8, 2013) - some of our users are experiencing an issue connecting, in game, to games that they have previously had no issues with. We are aware of this issue and are looking into what is causing it and for a resolution.

Users may notice
- Cannot connect on their account on a game that worked previously
- Other users can use their account on the same PC without issues
- In the Games for Windows Marketplace, under view game keys may be getting "An unknown error has occurred."

http://forums.xbox.com/gfw/technical_support/f/253/t/455946.aspx

I hope they get this fixed. I'm starting to wonder if I can beat Kalameet on my own :p

Back