Can't connect to ESXi server

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
This is the error I get when I try to connect to a brand new install of ESXi:

I read a KB article saying I have to install .net framework 3.5 service pack 1, and I did, but I still get that error.

Is there a way I can fix this?

Seems to work on my windows 7 workstation... but that requires dual booting, I need this to work in a VM. Anything after XP/2003 hogs too much resources I don't want to run that in a VM.

Also, I get a message that my license expires in 60 days?! Does it mean ESXi is not actually free? What happens when it expires, is it going to keep nagging me, or stop working?

After 60 days you loose all the pay features, and you put in a "free" key.

You don't get vmotion or any of the good toys for free.

Oh ok that's reassuring, I thought I had entered the license already but I did not, just put it in now and it says it no longer expires. For a single host the limitations arn't too bad, and by the time I decide I want to expand hopefully the open source stuff will be more up to par.

As much as I like to use and support open source, vmware just blows everything away. I'm up and running and already making VMs without having to read heavy documentation or running all sorts of commands or troubleshooting shit. I just hope the keep this version free. Would also be nice if they made a proper Linux client. There seems to be one, I installed it, but it does not do anything, unless the command is not obvious, I can't find it, and it's not in the start menu.

The 5.5 client has limitations as to which OS it will work with.
This is a known issue on XP/2003 systems that are 32bit. There's a hot fix for 64bit systems.

Is there a fix for 32 bit? If not, what should I do? I really don't want to have to dual boot all the time. Is there a way to get the Linux client to work? I installed it, but I don't know how to launch it, it did not add anything to the start menu or desktop or anything. I suppose I could make a windows 2008 VM I guess. I just hate to use up a couple gigs of ram just for that.

A Win7 VM shouldn't take much more resources than XP. Maybe a bit more RAM.

You really should ditch XP.

Server 2003 is nice and lightweight so I like to use it for VMs where stuff requires windows, but I think I'll just do a win7 VM then strip everything down like switch to the classic GUI and what not and I should be ok. I might end up just making that VM the minecraft server too, so it will need lot of ram anyway. Though I guess I should probably use a server OS like 2008 for that.

Back