Can't connect to another computer on network

ppilot

Weaksauce
So at work we have computer that has our Sage database files and I am having a problem connecting up with it via the network with a new laptop.

On everyone else's computer, you just double click the computer icon in the network section, enter in the name and password, then you are good to go. On my new laptop I keep entering the correct login information and it keeps getting rejected. I've compared the sharing settings to the old laptop and everything appears to be identical so I am pretty stumped right now.

Any ideas?

Firewall on the remote computer? Can you ping the other computer's IP address?

Yes I am able to ping the other computer with no problem. It probably should be noted that every other computer in the office can log into the computer with the Sage files and that I can access another computer that is completely open sharing setting wise (you can access with no login).

is the user name and password present on the computer you're having a problem with?

Can the remote PC access other shares on that computer?

So on a shot and prayer I switched my login from a Microsoft account to local and all of a sudden i can connect to the networked computer without even being asked for network credentials. Does it make any sense why this would work?

Yes, because in a non-domain situation, your local creds are passed to the other device for authentication. Since all your other workstations are logged in locally with the same username/password, it makes sense that the one box that's one off can't authenticate to the remote box. You can try mapping a drive using different credentials if you want to stay logged in with your MS account.

It sounds like you maybe in a domain environment but haven't joined the laptop to the domain yet. Have you connected the new laptop to the domain? If not you will need to type domain\username in the username field. Domain being the name of your domain controller.

Back