Can't change boot order in Bios to run Memtest

Hey guys,

My PC is running Windows 7. In the past I never had an issue running memtest from my CD. I would put the CD into the PC, restart the PC, press a certain key (I think) and Memtest would load.

Unfortunately I forgot what key I used to press and Memtest won't load, it goes straight to the Windows Startup Screen and the Desktop loads.

I went into Bios and I saw that CD/DVD was not #1 in the boot order which is strange because I used to run memtest many times on this PC and I never changed the Boot order.

I tried changing the boot order by hitting the + key but the key won't do anything. Is there some other key that I need to press in order to get + or - working?

also I see two CD/DVD's in the boot order of the Bios, I guess it's because I have two CD/DVD drives? Which one do I make #1? The Memtest disc is in the bottom CD/DVD drive.

Any help is much appreciated

Usually Memtest starts automatically without any key presses if your CD/DVD drive is 1st device.

What brand and model motherboard are you using? Usually it tells you at the bottom of the screen in the BIOS what keys you have to press to navigate through the menus. The manual probably explains it in great detail, but I know, who reads those things? :D

We aren't going to be able to tell you which drive is which, you will just have to try trial and error with at most 2 restarts.

Here's the Motherboard Brand and Model:

Model 880G-E45 (MS-7576) (CPU1)

Brand American Megatrends Inc.

Thanks for the help.

Update: I was hitting the wrong button on the keyboard to change the boot order. I was hitting the key with += instead of + key. I changed the boot order and now Memtest is running :)

Question: What does the blinking red plus sign next to Memtest86 mean?

Last edited:
Back