Cant boot Windows XP Pro CD from Laptop optical drive

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by H1HID, Aug 3, 2008.

1. H1HID

H1HID [H]Lite

I cant get this windows Cd to boot from my optical drive. I went into the bios made sure the boot order was fine. Then that didnt work. Then I tried disabling the hard drive to isolate the problem and that just produced the same result. When I try to boot from CD it just says "please insert bootable media or check settings in bios"...i paraphrased that. I know this Windows CD works because I tested it in my desktop.

I even took apart notebook and reseated everything, checked connections and all was fine. Went back together just fine and still the computer wont boot from a CD and the hard drive isnt working because my cousin deleted some important windows files somehow so I need to boot from original Windows CD to restore O/S.

Please help, thanks!

2. H1HID

H1HID [H]Lite

3. MenuBoy

MenuBoy [H]Lite

on the boot order page in the bios was the optical enabled?

4. H1HID

H1HID [H]Lite

what exactly do you mean by enabled...the secondary IDE controller is enabled and the BIOS recognizes the DVD drive and i went to the boot order screen on a separate tab and put it in the number one slot on the boot order.

5. AMD T-type

AMD T-type [H]ardness Supreme

What kind of laptop is it?

Some Laptops have an F12 option (press after you turn on) to load a boot option menu. I know you say you have your optical drive to boot first but you can try the boot menu for shits and giggles

6. LoStMaTt

LoStMaTt 2[H]4U

Also try some other bootable CD just to make sure its not the disc/image you have.

Rule out the media you are using.

7. H1HID

H1HID [H]Lite

the media im using is an original win xp cd (that boots on my desktop but not laptop) and i tried the boot menu to no avail

8. AMD T-type

AMD T-type [H]ardness Supreme

What kind of laptop is it

9. H1HID

H1HID [H]Lite

its a Gateway 7330GZ

10. bigdogchris

bigdogchris [H]ard as it Gets

Under boot order, what are the options? Please check and write them down.

11. Uncle

Uncle 2[H]4U

Does your laptop see the dvd drive. I just finished repairing one, their was an extra key in the registry that kept xp from seeing the drive. Just need abit more detail.

12. H1HID

H1HID [H]Lite

the hard drive is toast meaning win xp is totally screwed and wont boot under any circumstance, so im not sure if Win XP sees the drive but the BIOS does.

Ill double check the boot menu options but im pretty sure its just strictly a boot order menu that allows you to move different devices up and down the boot sequence. I can tell it is trying to read the disc because if I have the DVD set to Boot #1 then it takes longer to get to the win xp error screen but with the hard drive as Boot #1 it comes up almost instantly to the win xp error screen

following me?

:)

13. Demon10000

Demon10000 [H]ardness Supreme

I've got a machine that refuses to boot from CD when the hard drives are in AHCI mode. Try putting them into Compatibility, or IDE mode if you have a SATA drive.

14. H1HID

H1HID [H]Lite

the drives are IDE