Can't boot because no keyboard will work

vage

2[H]4U
Hey guys, I have a Tyan Thunder LE S2510 Motherboard, and for some reason I can NOT get it to recognize any keyboard. I have tried countless PS2 keyboards, USB keyboards, USB keyboards with PS2 converters, and nothing will work. Everything else about the system is great but I can't do shit with it because I can't even boot to a CD because the keyboard won't work. I need some help here guys, what are my options with getting this thing to recognize a keyboard or something so that I can get into the BIOS.

There is no option; this is a common failure thanks to Tyan's low quality design and assembly. The board is faulty or failed. There is no method or possibility of repair. You can RMA it to Tyan, but they'll "test" it and send it right back, and bill you $175 for it.

RMA that board, or contact them directly.

Better idea; go buy a new Supermicro board. It's cheaper than shipping it to Tyan along with a $175 "repair" fee, and getting the board back exactly as you sent it - still broken.

Although this wouldn't apply to USB port keyboard issues, some motherboards use a pico-fuse on the board for the keyboard PS/2 port. If that board does, it might be blown. Try a yahoo search on "motherboard keyboard fuse" for more info.

This might not help much but I found it on the web:
Why is my keyboard completely dead—no keys appear to function at all?

All other computer operations are normal. In this symptom, it is assumed that your computer initializes and boots to its DOS prompt or other operating system as expected, but the keyboard does not respond when touched. Keyboard-status LED's might not be working properly. Your first step in such a situation is to try a known-good keyboard in the system. Notice that you should reboot the system when a keyboard is replaced. If a known-good keyboard works, the fault is probably on the keyboard-interface IC. You can attempt to replace this IC if you wish, but it is often most economical to simply replace the keyboard outright. If another keyboard fails to correct the problem, use a Multimeter and check the +5-V supply at the keyboard connector . If the +5-V signal is missing, the female connector might be broken. Check the connector’s soldering junctions on the motherboard. Preheat any connectors that appear fatigued or intermittent. Many motherboards also use a “pico-fuse” to protect the +5-V supply feeding the keyboard connector. If your +5 V is lost, locate and check the keyboard-connector fuse. If problems continue, replace the motherboard.

Although this wouldn't apply to USB port keyboard issues, some motherboards use a pico-fuse on the board for the keyboard PS/2 port. If that board does, it might be blown. Try a yahoo search on "motherboard keyboard fuse" for more info.

This might not help much but I found it on the web:

A good number of Tyan boards have omitted it, so that if you should happen to have an incidental short on the PS/2's 5V to data line, SURPRISE, it blows up the keyboard controller. Do not ask how many times I have seen stupid things like this, where to save a few pennies a board, they omit necessary microfuses and smoothing capacitors.

Back