Can't apply Shared Folder permissions to any account..

MMitch

Gawd
Hello,

Hopefully someone has a better idea of what's going...
Situation: Until recently I had folder W shared over my network for 2 users and it worked flawlessly.. but now for some reason I can't access it.

If I go to the shared folder's permissions, I only see the owner (Me) which have full control. So there, I add account #2 or everyone or homegroup... and hit apply. If I re-open that same window.. the account I just added is gone. Kind of irritating since I don't want to share my credentials.

Anyone have an idea of what's going on ? I've searched a little today and yesterday and can't find anything so far.

Thanks a lot for the help !

Hello,

You mean assigning the permissions with another admin ? No since I'm the only admin account.
I can however setup permissions on other folder not on that drive... Problem seems isolated to one partition.

Sorry - I mean, have you tried granting/changing the permissions for a different account or group?

Well, I tried all accounts other than owner... so Account A, Everyone, homegroup and I created account B ... it always revert back on that folder and sub-folder.
It's probably a policy issue ? but I have very limited knowledge on those...

Any way to view currently applied permission to all/any folders ? ( I mean outside or permissions... like anything that can affect those)

I'm trying to edit the Sharing permissions. I ran the Get-Acl and nothing seems out of whack there..
Owners: Everyone
Sharing: Everyone
-1 at the end no restriction...

When I add an account to the permission list it just removes it right when I close the window.. I do not have this issue on another partition (Example C:\Max\Temp\ can be shared but W:\Downloads\ can't)
Please note I can share it with my account apparently... So if I enable Share of that folder, Max account can connect to it but that's about it... all other accounts get automatically removed from the permission list for that folder.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated

W:\Downloads sounds like an already connected network drive. Is W:\ a local disk?

You can't reshare a network drive. You have to edit the permissions from the original disk from which it is shared and then connect the network drive from the remote host to that machine hosting the share.

Hmm Cmustang87 might be onto something. Are you editing the permissions on the computer you are sharing from (where the drive is actually located locally) or trying to access and change the permissions on another PC? Maybe try enabling the Administrator account or setting up a new admin local (non MS so you can't have to create an email and all that jazz) account and try using that account to change the permissions.

Also, what steps are you doing to enable the sharing? There is the advanced sharing and then there is the option where you can right click a local folder, hit share, and it shares it out to everyone. I have noticed that windows sharing folders over a network is finicky at best and doesn't like to just stick and work long term heh. One option will work while the other won't no matter how many times I go over the settings.... give it a few weeks and I have to redo it using the other method b/c now the advanced share stopped working, ect.

Another possibility is that maybe a higher level folder is preventing you from changing the subforlder's permissions? that's my only other thought. Good luck!

Hi,
Well I'm applying the permissions, or at least trying lol, using the only admin account on the computer. I'm also applying it to a local folder if I may say. (the HDD is connected to the mobo although that partition is encrypted so it needs to be attached upon boot-up)
The folder is at the root of that drive... and even permission applied to the direct drive doesn't work (only that drive, W:\) On another note, I can share other drives without any issue and that drive has been shared for 6+ months until now.

If I use my credentials from Computer B, I can browse the shared folder... I would simply prefer to not "save/share" my credentials on that particular controller. This is really strange... Wish I could simply format / change folder location but that can't be done without a lot of work...
Is there any way to view any rules / permissions on a said folder and/or subfolder/main partition ?

EDIT: W:\ drive is the mounted drive... and yes, upon every windows bootup, I need to redo permission... it's just that now it does not work anymore... I'm puzzled

Hmm very strange. What version of Windows is the share computer running? Are you able to share out the folder when you don't require a password or logins? I'm with ya though, I've kind of given up on sharing folders over the network using Homegroups or even the other sharing methods because they never seem to stick and the other person will be able to use it for awhile and then nope, and they just can't access it anymore. I can log in using my login, but they can't. I gave up and use Bittorrent (well it's "Resillio" now) sync to get at the files, can't stream them though in the case of media. I want to eventually get a NAS and do it properly but for now it at least works better than no remote access to the files at all!

Since you mentioned homegroups though, depending on whether it's just these two PCs or if it'd be a lot of work, have the PCs exit and rejoin the homegroup or just both leave it and re-do it as a new homegroup. That does seem to fix sharing for a little while, until it breaks again :-/.

As for the permissions thing: you can go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Managerment > Shared Folders > Shares to see a list of all the current network shares. You can double click on the folder to see the maximum users allowed, sharing settings, and security settings. Maybe try changing the permissions from there to see if they stick. Otherwise might be some security or group policy setting thingamajig that I don't know about haha.

Oh wow, in there the permissions are ok... I'll have to check what I can do in those settings menu.
Thanks a bunch and I'll let you know the outcome.

fyi, this is on Win10 x64 PRO

SNIP
As for the permissions thing: you can go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Managerment > Shared Folders > Shares to see a list of all the current network shares. You can double click on the folder to see the maximum users allowed, sharing settings, and security settings. Maybe try changing the permissions from there to see if they stick. Otherwise might be some security or group policy setting thingamajig that I don't know about haha.

Another (quicker) way to check your shares is to just press Windows key and type \\localhost\ and press enter. You can see your shares this way as well. However, this will not show the default or admin shares. It only displays the user created shares.

Back