can't add win xp sp3 machines to Windows Server 2003 domain

mystykmax

Limp Gawd
I had been adding machines to our domain just fine and then the other day I get this below and I seem to not be able to add any machines anymore. I have no idea what to do at this point...can anyone lend me a hand/brain?

This is what I get:

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)
The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.OURDOMAIN
Common causes of this error include the following:
- The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.
- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:
OURDOMAIN
. (the root zone)
For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

Post IP of server

Post IPCONFIG /ALL of a workstation

Do you at least get the challenge for domain admin account credentials when joining?

The IP of the server is: 192.168.2.55

The ipconfig /all of the client:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : meagd1
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-1F-81-AE-FB
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.7
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.55

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 01, 2008 1:21:31 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, October 02, 2008 1:21:31 PM

Someone had set this system up before I got here. I have no ego attached to this network but the kids at the school are having a hard time because they can't get to things on the network like they were able to previously.

Ive been fooling with windows domains recently, and have come across that error. I had multiple domains setup and only the first one worked, the other domains in the forest got that error. I was using windows dns server on the DC of the original domain. If you open that up, you will see there are a dozen or so SRV entries in the forward(?) lookup zone. I duplicated entries for the new domains as SRV records pointing to the other DCs until the clients could start joining again. The clients probably do need to use the dns server that has the SRV records.

I can't give you specifics because i don't know what i'm doing with this stuff, but i did get it to work :)

was this computer previously joined to a domain?

the computer is set to auto configure right not manual ip?

really if its a fresh setup, just format the box and worry about 1 less thing.

what i would probably try doing, searching regedit for any previous domain stuff, maybe run WinSockXP Fix, try to manually configure the IP see if it takes.

Im sure you ahve tried this stuff.

yeah i skipped over that too.

lol, thats why something must be manually in there.

YeOlde link me that article man =)

So part of the story is that I was working in my "office" at home behind a netgear router that is part of the 192.168.2.x. Inside the router it's all DHCP 192.168.1.x. When I was inside the router, I actually got it to join once. Then I take the machine to its rightful place and set the IPs statically like the rest of the system (this particular machine was 192.168.2.12) and I set the net mask, gateway, and DNS servers (first DNS server was the 192.168.2.55 which is the DC as well as DNS). Once I got out there I could not get it to join for anything. Even the internet wouldn't work and that gateway is a different machine. I have other machines on that same switch that were using the internet just fine with all the same ipconfig settings except for different IP addresses. I guess one of the things I'm not familiar with is the DNS settings. There is so much stuff in there, I don't know what I'm doing. What I should fiddle with and what I shouldn't. There's ldap, tcp, msdc, et al...This is probably really simple stuff but I'm really struggling. Sorry if I post info here that isn't quite right. I'm really trying to learn and fix the problem.

The ipconfig of the client out in the network when not behind my router is:
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : mtellis.org

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.12
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.57
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . :

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
^ is missing from your first paste, you should have something here.. like the internal domain name (domain.local)? This should be set in your dhcp scope. Atleast I think thats your problem, had the same thing recently with our apple machines in an AD/OD env. - it seems like a DNS issue (well it is but not 'normal')

So the way I have been trying to add the computer to the domain is by right-clicking on My Computer, going to the name tab, then either Change or Network ID and filling out the appropriate info. What happens is that I never get asked for my credentials for adding to the domain...it gives me the error in my first post...so at that point, I don't know what the suffix is because it hasn't been added to the domain yet. I think something is wrong with my DNS because it seems to not be able to find a computer by the name of: "test-liq2928nro.mtellis.org" which is the DC and DNS. I just don't know how to fix the DNS :(.

It's a subnetting issue, not DNS. Change the subnet in your router to 255.255.252.0. Make sure any system with a static IP also has it's subnet changed to that. If you cannot change the subnet on the router then the IP range you can use for your domain is limited to the same subnet as your domain controller is in.

Why not simplify it all with the same IP range? Double NAT'ing 'n stuff...why make it odd?

I know it seems odd, and it's probably the way I've explained things honestly.

Our whole network is 192.168.2.x. I have a wireless router for our home, and I'm NATted behind that of course. I want to be able to use our in-home wireless router for stuff around the house. So when I had set up this machine (it's the 3rd one) I did it behind the router because I have to go out of my home and into a lab to actually attach the machine to the network where it needs to stay (the 192.168.2.x).

I have successfully added two other machines to the domain by setting them up in my home and then attaching them to the 192.168.2.x in the lab. From that point I change the IP to a static 192.168.2.x (for this one, x=12) and also change the subnet, gateway, DNS1, and DNS2. Then I change the computer name and finally try to add it to the domain. The first computer went fine (x=15). The second computer seemed to have a fit but finally worked (x=14). The third one seems to be extremely problematic.

For the third system, I got tired of going to the lab and wanted to be home. So I set it up in my home, hence the 192.168.1.x. Finally I was able to add it to the domain. So, thinking I had success, I took it out to the lab, hooked it up to the cat5, and logged on as local administrator. Then I changed the IP (192.168.2.12), subnet was the same (255.255.255.0), gateway (192.168.2.57), DNS1 (192.168.2.55 which is also the DC), DNS2 (set to the one our ISP gave to us which is public). Then I go to change the computer name and domain and it never asks for my credentials on the domain, it just give me the error far above here that it can't find the DC because there's no entry in the DNS for it, even though they are the same machine.

Does that make more sense? I really apologize for the confusion. If I haven't irritated anyone too much, I'm still hoping for some guidance.

"DNS2 (set to the one our ISP gave to us which is public)."

domain computers should never have the ISP's DNS servers...You should have the server doing DHCP as well

why are you double nating? each time i read this thread i get so confused.

you want to join the workstaiton on the same lan. do that.

I'm confused too...lol. Is the "lab" and "home" the same physical location?

Our whole network is 192.168.2.x. I have a wireless router for our home, and I'm NATted behind that of course. I want to be able to use our in-home wireless router for stuff around the house. So when I had set up this machine (it's the 3rd one) I did it behind the router because I have to go out of my home and into a lab to actually attach the machine to the network where it needs to stay (the 192.168.2.x).

Why not reconfigure this wireless router as just an access point...on the same IP range as your primary router? That way..you entire network is same IP range....no NAT in between.

yeolde - how did your job go buddy? haven't seen you online all day?

That server is running fine today...I didn't reboot it. Probably deal with that tomorrow afternoon. Was up in Rhode Island for most of the day up near providence. Physical Therapy office attached to a Golds Gym. Yeah...the scenery was tough today! :D

lets guess nice phat asses and big breasts bouncing along on a treadmill? =)

lucky man!

"DNS2 (set to the one our ISP gave to us which is public)."

domain computers should never have the ISP's DNS servers...You should have the server doing DHCP as well

I can start changing this info, but I can't just switch the whole school and neighborhood to DHCP because I'll have duplicate IP's on the network, won't I? I'd love to use DHCP, but it will have to wait for now. I'm the only person on this job, and it wasn't pleasant when I got here.

why are you double nating? each time i read this thread i get so confused.

you want to join the workstaiton on the same lan. do that.
I tried. I mentioned how I tried that. I mentioned it didn't work. I really wish I could "do that". I can't and that's why I'm posting here.

I'm confused too...lol. Is the "lab" and "home" the same physical location?
It's a dorm. I don't want my home computers on the same subnet as the rest of the dorm and school and the neighborhood (we have some pro-grade wireless stuff to serve part of the community as well).

Why not reconfigure this wireless router as just an access point...on the same IP range as your primary router? That way..you entire network is same IP range....no NAT in between.

Because I don't want my home computers on the same subnet as the rest of the dorm, school and neighborhood. Also, I don't want the new machine I'm adding to be behind my NAT, I just tried it because I was tired and wanted to go home. I failed to join the domain from the main network LAN previous to trying it at my home behind my router/NAT. I can't join the domain from the lab which is not seperated by NAT from the DC/DNS.

ok, so here is the situation...forget all the above....I am trying to connect a computer to a domain and the computer can't find the domain (I did this on the same subnet most of the time, got tired and brought it home and then tried from there). I don't want it to be in the 192.168.1.x subnet. I had just tried that out of tiredness and frustration.

My desire is to take the computer to the lab, which is physically located in a different part of the building than my apartment, and hook it up to the domain that uses only 192.168.2.x. So this system for right now needs to use an IP of 192.168.2.12. It's not being used anywhere else so I know that portion is safe.

Basically a cable comes in from the wireless transmitter outside (still on the 192.168.2.x subnet). This cable feeds into a 16-port switch. I plug my ethernet into the switch. I change the IP info as follows:
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : mtellis.org

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.12
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.57
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : (We don't use DHCP yet. I'm going to work on that later).

Then I try to add the computer to the domain and instead of popping a window asking for my domain credentials, it says that it can't find the DC because apparently it's not in the DNS. I am able to remote desktop into the DC from this same room on a different computer that's already on the domain OR from behind my NAT in my home by IP.

I actually had this same error yesterday at one of my new client's. It was a machine that had been joined to the domain at one point, but the computer account had been deleted from the directory so it could not authenticate. In order to get things straightened out, I disjoined the machine, restarted, and when I tried to rejoin the domain, I got this error.

I got rid of it by uninstalling the nic drivers and reinstalling them. Everything was set to DHCP before I uninstalled, and once I reinstalled it pulled the same ip, but it worked. Wierd.

I got rid of it by uninstalling the nic drivers and reinstalling them. Everything was set to DHCP before I uninstalled, and once I reinstalled it pulled the same ip, but it worked. Wierd.

I'll give that a shot. Thanks for giving me a new idea. :)

glad it worked. It still seems a strange to me, but at least there is a fairly simple 'fix'

Back