Cant access pfSense web GUI

nry

Limp Gawd
This is my first time trying to use pfSense properly and im not having much success, infact I had more success when I was messing around to see what it could do about a year ago!

My issue is I simply can't access the web GUI, once I have managed to be able to access it from my WAN connection, but as soon as I changed settings, that was the end of that!

I am running pfsense inside a VM using hardware pass through

Host:
Asus P8B-WS
Xeon E1245
16GB Ram
Intel Pro 1000 GT PCI Card (passed through to VM)
Intel Dual 1000 PCIe card (passed through to VM)

VM:
1GB RAM
4GB HDD
1600Mhz max CPU
1x Virtual network interface
3x physical (from PCI cards)

Setup:
- The VM detects these cards no problem, I have connected the WAN to the PCI card, then my test PC to a port on the PCIe card
- Logged into the console via vCentre, pfsense has got itself an IP from my crap adsl router (192.168.1.25), the router detects it too in the attached devices list
- No access to pfsense from the WAN side, not even a ping response
- Computer connected to pfsenses LAN (using PCIe card) windows 7 detects the DHCP server, and gateway etc, no internet connection, no ping response

I can't work it out, am I missing out a critical step here? I have tried a fresh install too!
Cheers

- No access to pfsense from the WAN side, not even a ping response

That is expected behavior. The WAN interface starts off rejecting all incoming traffic unless you specifically allow it with the firewall. It's in fact the whole point.

- Logged into the console via vCentre, pfsense has got itself an IP from my crap adsl router (192.168.1.25), the router detects it too in the attached devices list
- Computer connected to pfsenses LAN (using PCIe card) windows 7 detects the DHCP server, and gateway etc, no internet connection, no ping response

pfSense has a default IP of 192.168.1.1/24 - from everything you've said I'm guessing you never changed that and because you're WAN is in the same network, pfSense is having trouble routing. Try unplugging your WAN (make sure it drops the WAN IP/route), hooking up your Windows7 computer, configuring pfSense (LAN to a new IP range, including your DHCP), and then connecting the WAN back in. You're also going to have to turn off "Block Private Networks" on your WAN interface.

Cheers, no idea how I actually resolved this in the end though!
Soon as I got the gui working iv managed to setup all my sub networks pretty easily and almost got my whole network up and running :D

No doubt there is a huge security hole somewhere though lol

Remember, it's https and not http. You also need to ensure to set the proper IP/subnet mask for it's internal interface. Can do this from the console.

Back