Cant access certain pics from harddrive since install of windows 7

Eshelmen

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey all.

Call me a noob, I know. haha.

But I bought Windows 7 a few months back and installed to one of my harddrives.
It has windows xp on one of the drives and the other has 7.

This is what I wanted HOWEVER!. Windows 7 is not letting me have access to my camera folder I had hundreds and hundreds of pics in. Says I do not have authorization to view them.
Is there something I can do to bypass this?
Some photos are ok to view but others are not accessible.

Any ideas would be great.. Thanks

Are you talking about a folder on the other hard drive (that has XP)?

Your options are to 'take ownership' of the folder, which in the process will botch your XP account's ownership of the folder.

Or on the XP machine, you can go into folder options and uncheck 'use simple file sharing'. You may also have to remove the password on the account.

Ownership may not be enough. Taking ownership of the file/folder doesn't give you rights to it, it just allows you special access to assign rights to it.

After taking ownership, you will most likely have to close the properties windows (it will pop up telling you when you need to reopen the properties window) and then give your user account access using the security tab.

Poke around in the forums here... I've written up how this works at least a dozen times, and I don't have too much time to rehash it right now.

Ownership may not be enough. Taking ownership of the file/folder doesn't give you rights to it, it just allows you special access to assign rights to it.

After taking ownership, you will most likely have to close the properties windows (it will pop up telling you when you need to reopen the properties window) and then give your user account access using the security tab.

Poke around in the forums here... I've written up how this works at least a dozen times, and I don't have too much time to rehash it right now.
Taking ownership of a file should automatically add the "Creator Owner" to the security list, which would be the new person.

Anyways, I think this is a private account/password issue as by default "Users" have full rights to files.

Back