Can't access certain items in the control panel

Zer0_II

Weaksauce
I can't access certain items in the control panel. Whenever I click on them I get the following message "Windows cannot create a shortcut here. Would you like to create a shortcut on the desktop instead". I tried to access them while in safe mode as well, but I couldn't. I can access them manually by going to start and typing in "rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Options_RunDLL 1" which brings up the taskbar and start menu properties. I did a search for shell32.dll on my computer. I noticed that is a shell32 file in system32 system32/dllcache and in the I386 folder. I tried renaming the original shell32.dll file then copying both duplicates into the system32 folder then registering them, but that didn't help. After I copied the shell32.dll file from the I386 file, registered it, then rebooted I got error messages saying Dr. Watson and Explorer.exe had encountered errors and needed to close. So then I went back and renamed them, renamed the original once again, and reregistered it. Then I rebooted and didn't get the errors, but I still can't access the items in the control panel. I also tried running sfc/ scannow, but it completes the scan without giving me any type of message. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could figure out a solution to this problem. Thanks in advance.

Check for spyware/viruses/malware etc with the programs in my signature - make sure to update them before scanning.

I've seen spyware mess up control panel before.

I've done a variety of scans on my computer using only the most updated software. I'll go ahead and list what I've used so someone doesn't suggest it.

Anti-Virus: NOD32, AVG, Trend Housecall online scan, Panda online scan
Trojan Detection/Removal: Ewido Security Suite, a-squared
Spyware Detection Removal: Webroot's Spysweeper, Adaware, Spybot S & D, Microsoft's Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster
Hijack This

All of these programs have indicated that my system is clean.

Back