Canon SX40 to SX50 upgrade worth it?

bastage

Pics of your wife?
I Currently have an SX40 & when I bought it I really didn't anticipate myself taking too many pictures But I have been using the hell out of this little guy.. I bought it in July & my usage on it is just going up.. So far this month I have taken over 800 pictures.. a bunch using the full extent of the 36x zoom.

So with the sx50 now out I figure I could get maybe 200 for the sx40 & that would put me out about another 250..

So is the extra zoom & faster focus time worth it..

Also I am not interested in gong to a DSLR.

It appears to be a very worthy camera to upgrade to for sure. You don't mention what your subject matter preference is, so you'll be the best one to decide if the extra zoom and faster focus would be a big benefit.

One of the specifications that really caught my eye was raw support. I downloaded the Pelican raw image at the bottom of this review by The Photography Blog . Because Lightroom and dcraw doesn't have support yet, I opened it in Canon's DPP, slid all the sharpening and noise reduction to 0, then saved a TIF out. Then opened it in Lightroom and did a slight amount of color noise reduction (8) and a Luminance Reduction of 2, and Sharpening at 61, 1.3, 25, 16. I have to say it is wonderful looking at an image from one of these bridge cameras that doesn't have a massive amount of noise reduction artifacts all over. Just having the option to natively use raw would have me upgrading from the SX40.

DPP fixed up the color fringing really nice with the Lens Aberration Correction Tuning menu.

Edit: Here is a Flickr group.

My subject matter varies quite a bit.. Nothing specific, but I can definitely say for sure that I am making full use of the zoom on the sx40.. its allowed me several shots that I otherwise could not have gotten.

Back