Canon MR-14EX on a 70-200mm?

Cerulean

[H]F Junkie
Canon MR-14EX ring light. I've been eying this for a few months and have been wondering if this can be attached to lens like the 70-200mm, 17-40mm, and 85mm. I can't find any information about threading or how the attach mechanics work, and I can't find any images on Google with closeups on the device itself. :(

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The light is made for close up macro photography. It is not powerful enough to work as a traditional ring flash. But to answer the question, the MR-14ex attaches to 52mm, 58mm, 67mm, and 72mm filter sizes depending on the Macrolite adapter used.

You would be better off with something like the Ray Flash if you want a portrait style ring flash as it is much larger:
http://www.ray-flash.com/

The light is made for close up macro photography. It is not powerful enough to work as a traditional ring flash. But to answer the question, the MR-14ex attaches to 52mm, 58mm, 67mm, and 72mm filter sizes depending on the Macrolite adapter used.

You would be better off with something like the Ray Flash if you want a portrait style ring flash as it is much larger:
http://www.ray-flash.com/
Oh, thank you much for this information and product recommendation! I've Googled much and never came across something like ray-flash. :( (My Googling skills aren't as great as they used to be)

Do you know if the "Ray Flash Ringflash Adapter for Canon 580EX II Flash with Canon 1V/1Ds/1D DSLR Cameras" will work with my Canon T3i and a Canon Speedlite 430EX II?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The 430ex is quite a bit smaller than the 580ex, but I dont know for sure.

I don't think it would work very well since the flash head is a lot smaller. You could always go with one of the Cowboy Studio knockoffs.

You're also going to lose a stop or 2 of light using an adapter like that. You could also consider getting a ring flash like the Alien Bees ABR800. You won't have E-TTL and will have to shoot manually, but if you're thinking about spending $200 on a Ray Flash adapter you might as well just spend a couple hundred more and get the real deal.

Back