Canon Body and Lense <$500

zachary80

2[H]4U
I'm just looking for a good film camera with a mid-range lense for now, since I can't afford a digital rebel.
Bodys:
$135 K2
$190 (170 MIR) T2
$300 Elan 7N

My understanding is that each one is worth the price over the lower model

Also, what lense should I get to with them? Are the kit lenses any good?

$135 K2
$190 (170 MIR) T2
$300 Elan 7N

I would spend at least the extra $55 on the T2, it's a lot more fully featured than the K2. It also has a metal lens mount (plastic on the K2), which will last longer. The Rebel T2 is pretty much the same camera feature-wise as the Elan 7 (note, not 7N), minus a few of the custom functions. Of those that are missing from the Elan 7, the mid-roll rewind is the most useful (I was constantly swapping between Velvia and Provia rolls halfway through on a recent trip). The T2 is also very lightweight, great for travelling with. It looks hilarious on the end of a long L lens though (you should see my fiance's on my 70-200 lol).

The Elan 7N is a little quicker, has a couple more focus points, has more custom functions, and has a magnesium alloy chassis so is a bit more heavy and robust. I shoot an Elan 7 with a vertical grip, and it's great, Really quiet mechanics, probably one of the quieter ones out there. The big advantage I see in the 7N over the 7 is that it has a backlit display... how I would love that on my Elan 7 when shooting at night!! (note: T2 also has backlit display)

For lenses the kit lens is fine (28-90 III now I think). However, for a bit more cash you can get the 28-105 USM f/3.5-4.5, which is a much sharper lens and has internal focus (making the use of a circular polarizer much more convenient). Either is a great place to start. Or, constrain yourself to working hard on composition with a 50mm f/1.8 lens: you have to think more when you've only got one focal length. :)

good article comparing the 28-mm zooms, where most people start:
http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/28zooms/

For $500 you're probably pretty close to picking up a used Rebel 300d off of a photography forum. I'm about to get a two-week old 350d with the 18-55mm kit lens for $720.

wake6830, I'd rather not go used

SidewinderX said:
If you'd like to get into digital....

$450 for an EOS D60. It doesn't come with a lens, so if you get a 50 f1.8 (about $70) and a CF card, you can get into digital for about $550.
The reviews of the D60 all look very positive, but they are also from 2002. Is it too dated for a digital camera now? KEH has good reviews and that seems to be a good price; I could stretch my budget to go digital.

Right now it is between a T2 (the only additional feature of the Elan 7n that I can see myself using is the ability to switch film mid roll) and a digital, maybe that D60.

sulfur_lad, the lense you reccomended, the 28-105 USM f/3.5-4.5, looks great and will probably be what I get regardless of body choice.

Right now I have an Olympus C750 as my digital and no film. I'd like the extra flexibility of a SLR and the fact that every picture my Dad takes with his K2 and kit lense outdoes my C750 is depressing.

edit:
I just realized that the D60 was used which explains a lot of things. Right now I will probably stick with the T2 and lense combo stated earlier.

good strategy, although consider taking his k2 for a test-ride to see if you're happy with the results you get out of that. The T2 will be similar, but will wear a little better, be a bit faster than, and allow you to go a bit further than a K2 would if you get pretty far into it. If you're happy with what you see, then go for it! Otherwise, the c750 is a pretty capable little camera (if a bit mean on the lens flare end), and you should still be able to get a pretty decent pic out of it. I have a (now) ancient Canon S40 that I stick in my camera bag as a point and shoot digital. Good luck!

Just a couple more questions

I plan on ordering from B&H, does it matter whether you buy a domestic or imported lense besides cost?
What kind of color and b&w films are best for landscape/nature shots?
Are there any particular camera bags that are good and hold both the lense and body?

Gray market (import) lenses are not covered by manufacturer warranties. This is more important for Nikon lenses, since Nikon refuses to work on any import lenses at all.

As for film - it's sort of a personal preference. If I were to shoot film I'd probably shoot Fuji Velvia since it gives a punch to the color. Some people might not like this. I don't know about black and white films though.

neeyo said:
I think you can skip slr's if you spell lens with an 'e'
Especially since I am incapable of learning

I have no idea where I picked up that weird spelling

Why are you going to try and learn with a film camera. If you cannot spend more than $500, then you prob cannot afford to have film developed all the time. Also time and energy to get it developed. I would just save.

zachary80 said:
Just a couple more questions

I plan on ordering from B&H, does it matter whether you buy a domestic or imported lense besides cost?
What kind of color and b&w films are best for landscape/nature shots?
Are there any particular camera bags that are good and hold both the lense and body?

Agreed with other comments! Greymarket = no manufacturer warranty here. Landscape, Velvia 50 is money. Good general purpose film, Provia 100. Good print film landscapes, Reala 100. Good print people shots, Pro H 400; formerly NPH 400 (same film, different box). Black and white, I like Ilford Delta 100.

Try 'em yourself though, lots of people have different preferences. Which is why I won't suggest a bag. :) I travel / ski / climb with a Lowepro Rover II AW. It carries my Elan 7 w/battery grip, Speedlite 420ex, 70-200 f/2.8L, 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM, plus has a tripod carrier and the top half can be used as a daypack.

Crumpler also makes some really nice bags, but they can be a bit expenseive. Their website is quite worth the acid trip, though. :D I'll post some film samples in a few mins. gonna test my new scanner.

darktiger said:
Why are you going to try and learn with a film camera. If you cannot spend more than $500, then you prob cannot afford to have film developed all the time. Also time and energy to get it developed. I would just save.

It was a sarcastic reply to the pointing out of my poor spelling. I have been taking photos for years, just not with nice film cameras, and they are not be as good as some of those I have seen here or photo sites

I have ran the costs, and can afford to have the film developed. Whether I get digital or film, I want to have hard copies. Even though I have a photo printer (HP 7550), its best results are not good enough for me in comparison to that of a labs.

Anyways, I have gone ahead and bought the T2 and lens, along with some Kodak TMAX and Fuji Superia to play with. I will try out some of those other films closer to my next trip (France and Germany).

Thanks for the help guys

Back