Canon 580EX vs 550EX vs 430EX. Help!

pcMan

Limp Gawd
I have a Rebel XT and want to get a flash for it now that I have a gift card I can use at Amazon. I'm undecided between these...
Canon 580EX $389 (-gc = $329)
Canon 430EX $264 (-gc = $205)
Canon 550EX $309
I also looked into the Sigma EF-500 DG Super but it would cost the same as the 430EX. I am leaning towards the 550EX since it's better than the 430EX but still has many of the same features (from what I've read so far) as the 580EX. I've read that it's worth going from the 430EX to the 580X for $130 more since it makes a big difference in features ...

"While the choice between the 420EX (at $200) and the 580EX (at it's original $400) was fairly clear based on price, its not so clear between the 430EX ($250) and the 580EX ($380). The 580EX adds the ability to act as a wireless master, increased power, external power options, more custom functions and stroboscopic operation - for an extra $130."

Now, from what I've read so far, the difference is not so clear about going from the 550EX to the 580EX... "This was Canon's "top of the line" speedlite before the 580EX was introduced. It has most of the features of the 580EX, except for the color temperature and 'digital awareness' of the 580EX." Do these things really make a difference in real life? ETTL vs ETTL II? Is there anything my Rebel XT could benefit from using the newer 430EX or 580EX? Is the 550EX as good as the 580EX or is there something I am not aware of? Has anyone had any real-life experience with any of these and could compare them?

Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
From what I can see:

430EX: Smaller and lighter (73grams lighter) than the 550EX; wider (but not much more) angle of coverage; Recycle time is also far quicker with the 430EX -- 4.3 seconds faster.

Probably the main difference is the power that the 550EX gives... the flash goes a little farther.

Between the two, I would go for the newer 430EX for convenience... weight does make a difference if you've been shooting for a few hours.

But for longer term a good investment would be the 580EX in my opinion.

I hope this helps.

Point of info:

ETTL vs ETTL-II - that difference is in the camera. The flash behaves exactly the same, but the way the camera evaluates and compensates for the information from the micro-preflash is different. At least, that's how its been explained to me several times.

I've only got a 120.00 promaster 5550DX flash. Works fine for what it is, but I have very few features relative to the 550.

BB

I use a 20d and have the 580EX. It's a really nice flash, if you want the camera to do it all for ya. It adjusts it's output size and level based upon how far away the subject is and available light reported from the camera. I was on top of a Ferris Wheel and snapped a shot of my family from up top. The flash zoomed tight on the group below.
small.jpg

Other shots when the flash was manually adjusted lit up the while frame. The flash also auto adjusts when shooting a portrait close up. It kinda diffuses the light and brings out the skin tones.
I say get the 580 if you have the cash. If you don't have the money and just want more light, anyone of the others would be fine.

One thing previous posters havent mentioned, that those threads I linked should make clear: The 430 is a very capable, light, good output flash but cannot be a MASTER for a multiple lighting setup. Only the 550 and the 580 can. Since you are going to need at least one slave in any such configuration, saving a few bucks and using a 430 in that spot is a good first choice, as you can learn about using the flash and then expand later on by buying the more expensive master at that point, rather than first when its capability is wasted since you only have one anyway.

Of course, the 580 gives you the best light output and is a master, so it might be worth it to you to get that model instead. Only you will know if your shooting preferences will dictate that added expense.

If you simply dont know if you will need it or not, best to go with the 430 in my opinion, as the cost savings are considerable. Thats what I wound up doing anyway, tho I am watching many different places for a 580 bargain. =) I heard Dell had a ridiculous sale on em one day a few months back, but I missed it sadly.

Sam

90% of the time you are going to want to bounce your flash. This is the most noticable change from an external flash, and it really makes flash pictures look great.

That said, it takes alot of power to bounce. I use a 430EX (I'm holding it right now, actually) because I like the lower weight (I shoot a 350D too) and I dont take *that* many flash pictures. That said, there have been probably 7 or so pictures I couldn't get because it was not powerful enough to bounce. That is out of maybe 200 pictures with it... not a bad ratio, but if you bounce in aircraft hangars or need 100% of the shots 100% of the time, the 580EX is probably for you.

And if you are worrying about the master/slave thing, you've got to have two flashes in the first place, so it doesnt hurt you to first get the 430EX if you might want to get a 580EX later. If however you've already got a 420EX or something of the sort, you may want to consider a 580EX to act as a master.

I have a 580EX that I bought brand new. I must say it's a very convenient and easy flash to use. The one button design for rotating and tilting compared to the two buttons required for the 550EX makes adjusting the direction much easier. Also, the recycle time between flashes is noticeably quicker, which makes really nice for taking pictures at parties and getting sequences. Though I am not as familiar with the flash as I want to be, I have no regrets about buying it.

Here are two pictures I took in low light conditions.

I don't know how much flash you need, and I'm pretty much a noob photog, but I know this is a flash that I will use for quite a while.
~Andy
ps. also, the bounce card incorporated in the flash is really nice :)

The 550EX and 580EX are nearly identical in power. The biggest difference is the high-voltage input of the 580EX, which costs about another $200 for a compatible high-voltage battery pack. It can also run off of 4x AA batteries. Then the other differences are things like the consideration of digital-zoom, etc. There may be differences in recycle times I don't know about too...

The 550/580EX put out about 2x more light than the 430EX. This isn't easy to see from the Guide Numbers, mainly because putting out 2x more light only increases distance 1.4x times. Also guide numbers aren't really useful, since you need to know the ISO & Apeture (and exposure calibration) it was calculated from...and these numbers are rarely provided by manufacturers and offer some flexibility to meet marketing/advertising demands.

If you're looking at Sigma's flashes, consider weither or not you will be adding more flashes in the future. Sigma's flashes do NOT offer a wireless option. Most of Canon's flashes can be set into a wireless slave mode, and a couple can be a wireless master. If you want multi-flash setup in the future, you might stick with the EOS SpeedLites (430/550/580, etc). Cheers & goodluck.

Tim_axe said:
...The biggest difference is the high-voltage input of the 580EX, which costs about another $200 for a compatible high-voltage battery pack. It can also run off of 4x AA batteries...

Corrections:
BOTH the 550EX and 580EX have high voltage inputs.
The cost for Canon's CP-E3 external battery pack is about $140
The CP-E3 operates off of 8x AA batteries
Canon CP-E3

Canon also sells a CP-E2 which is similar to the CP-E3 except it uses 6x AA batteries.

I love my 580EX

Thanks for pointing out the 550EX does have a High Voltage input...I somehow never found that when I was looking at that flash on B&H. I guess the only other real difference would be Wireless Master mode...which isn't much use if you only have 1 flash. Hopefully I'm not wrong there. Cheers & enjoy whatever flash you choose.

BTW, I have an older 420EX, and wish I could have waited for a 430EX or 550EX.. Get a flash you won't regret. :)

Tim_axe said:
If you're looking at Sigma's flashes, consider weither or not you will be adding more flashes in the future. Sigma's flashes do NOT offer a wireless option. Most of Canon's flashes can be set into a wireless slave mode, and a couple can be a wireless master. If you want multi-flash setup in the future, you might stick with the EOS SpeedLites (430/550/580, etc). Cheers & goodluck.
Correction:

sigma website said:
EF-500 DG SUPER incorporates wireless TTL flash photography, slave flash photography, and FP flash photography (synchronized with high shutter speeds).
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/flashes/flashes_flashes_details.asp?id=3257&navigator=1

I finally ordered a 580EX. I was leaning towards the 550 but then I would be buying old, unsupported technology. After all, if they come up with a new product now or in the future it is more likely to work with the 580 than the 550 and the difference in price is not that much. Then I considered the 430 after reading so many great opinions about it here but I do plan to photograph some events and weddings as a second photographer while I learn and hopefully do it myself after that and the 430 won't be enough.
Thank you for the sample pictures, links, and the advice. It really helped me make a decision.

I use my 580EX for weddings and I'm glad I didn't settly for anything less.

You'll be happy with it.

At least you know you won't be disapointed. The 580 is top notch.
Sometimes for indoor shots, I'd be lazy and not feel like packing it, and always regreted it. Now, I never leave home without it. Live and learn.

Rooster said:
At least you know you won't be disapointed. The 580 is top notch.
Sometimes for indoor shots, I'd be lazy and not feel like packing it, and always regreted it. Now, I never leave home without it. Live and learn.

I have a used 550ex and love it. I don't know if the 430ex would have been good enough but I know I have enough light with the 550ex.

Back