Canon 50mm f/1.4 and f/1.8

Mr. Baz

2[H]4U
I was reading some posts on dpreview, as well as some other camera sites reviewing the Canon 50mm.

One of the major things that came up was that the 1.4 had a definite better bokeh than the 1.8.
I had some people say the 1.4 was sharper at f/5.6 than the 1.8 as well.

Anyone have either of these two lenses?

Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM:
USM
f/1.4
fast AF
better bokeh

Canon 50mm f/1.8:
Decent lens
only $70

Comments?

I'd say get the 1.4 if you can afford it (slightly faster, USM, metal mount). If not the 1.8 is a fine lens and only $70 like you said. I have it and I've been very happy with it.

id get the 1.4, never know when the 1/3 of a stop will come in handy;)

edit- its actually 2/3 of a stop

Hmm. I just found a reivew of the Sigma 12-28 and it's being raved as being VERY good. Even comparable to the Canon 50mm f/1.4. Of course...it costs $649. :eek:

Originally posted by Mr. Baz
Hmm. I just found a reivew of the Sigma 12-28 and it's being raved as being VERY good. Even comparable to the Canon 50mm f/1.4. Of course...it costs $649. :eek:
What kind of lens are you looking for right now?

I've used both the 1.8 and 1.4. I own the 1.8, and I've borrowed and shot with the 1.4 on several occasions. The 1.4 is the better of the two, no doubt about it. It is definitely sharper, with slightly better color and contrast than the 1.8. It's silent focus mechanism, with full-time manual adjustment, is very nice (but slow). I can't speak to the difference in bokeh, because both lenses look good to me in this respect.

The one place where the 1.4 falls down is bang-for-the-buck. It is expensive compared to the 1.8. The extra 2/3 stop might come in handy for some people, but to be honest, I've never shot the 1.4 wide open. That said, I really like borrowing this lens :)

If you check out photo.net, I posted a link to an article that puts the 1.4 up against the 1.8 not too long ago. It's a good read. :)

Originally posted by Mr. Baz
I was reading some posts on dpreview, as well as some other camera sites reviewing the Canon 50mm.

One of the major things that came up was that the 1.4 had a definite better bokeh than the 1.8.
I had some people say the 1.4 was sharper at f/5.6 than the 1.8 as well.

Anyone have either of these two lenses?

Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM:
USM
f/1.4
fast AF
better bokeh

Canon 50mm f/1.8:
Decent lens
only $70

Comments?

Judging by how you compared these two lenses, you are leaning towards the 1.4. So I say if you have the money, get it.

Its a great lens. The 1.8 is for people that are poor, but want low light shooting abilities. If I could afford it I would get the 1.4, but I can't so 1.8 here I come.

Cheers,

Back