Cannot wake up any computer

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
I have three desktops all win 10 21h1 all updated. I CANNOT get wake up on lan to work on any of them. Energy efficiency settings disabled. Standby is enabled in power setting . Fast startup disabled. Yes wol is enabled with magic packet... I have read several guides on nic settings nothing works.. Did MS disabled WOL with a security patch because it kind of feels that way. THis is all wired gigabit ethernet..... no wireless Linksys dual band router with 4 gigabyte ports.....

So WOL is terribly buggy/inconsistent. How are you sending the packet and how many times are you sending it? I usually have to send directly to the mac address for my thin clients and I have to send it 3x times in a row a couple of times before they will wake up.

IT used to work fine with windows 8.1 but different machine win 10 now asus laptop with 4700mq and intel nic. I Use Splashtop network soft ware to remote up to 5 machines.in my home I can access machine alright once they are up but cannot wake them up..... I'm wondering if Linksys router might be the cause?

The router shouldn't be an issue since the packets shouldn't be touching the router in a LAN setting. One way to confirm it is to replace the linksys with a switch (if they're not already on a switch) and disconnect the linksys. Each system should still have its IP and should be able to ping/wol each other. If it works here, then the Linksys is doing something, but I would highly doubt a router will be doing such things.

Well last night I downloaded a firmware upgrade and the Linksys router will now NOT connect to the internet It just sit there saying waiting. Even a hardware reset didn't work, Thanks Linksys...... I'm using an older router to access the net right now got an Asus Gs AX3000 ordered be ready for pickup at walmart in 3 hours.... I do think your right it not being the router. Ive done everything I just cannot get WOL to work and I did set all the WOL in the bios and nic card still not a go......Still feels like wol is no longer allowed in win 10.......

Make sure you haven't disabled any power states in the computer's firmware settings, as they're usually required for wol, etc.

where do i get the port number
"If the port number is not specified it will default to port 7"

In my batch file, I use 'wolcmd MAC_ADDRESS MACHINE_IP_ADDRESS MACHINE_SUBNET_MASK 7' and this seems to work after 3x times.

well wlcmd does not work either...I'm at a loss here I have over 5 days and cannot get WOL to work. After all the research, registry changes, bios wake up settings, magic packet... nothing has worked.....

How many times did you execute it? Like I said, the first time I tried it, I had to sit there and keep trying until I physically saw the system wake up. Then I figured out that it takes about 3x times for it to wake up. It might take more.

To see if it's a hardware issue, I'd boot up some sort of linux live cd and let it sleep and see if you can wake that up. If so, then you know at least it's working and it's a windows issue.

did it four or five times nada zip....
when I had 8.1 on my laptop I could wake both My winn 7 Amd machine and the two windows 10 in my den I also did not have bios options in the Amd machine.Once I upgraded the all my machines to Ten that's when wol stopped.dead... THIS SHOULD NOT TAKE A ROCKET SCIENTIST TO GET UP AND RUNNING got to be some permission or policy or software switch somewhere NOTHING BUT NOTHING WORKS......

Now I read that the network adaptor need to stay on when the computer sleeps for WOL. You have to use magic packet and in properties click wake on lan, However to have that you must allow the computer to put the system to sleep. If I don't click allow computer to sleep the nic wake on lan is unclicked and ghosted.. on all the machines...

I agree that something like this shouldn't 'just break', but that's the nature of all the F bad programing these days done in a hurry just to 'get it out there'. It's why I almost always wait for everyone else to upgrade, all bugs to have workarounds, and all other problems documented before I will even consider moving from what 'just works'.

Now I read that the network adaptor need to stay on when the computer sleeps for WOL. You have to use magic packet and in properties click wake on lan, However to have that you must allow the computer to put the system to sleep. If I don't click allow computer to sleep the nic wake on lan is unclicked and ghosted.. on all the machines...

Wait, so describe this again--I don't have 10 (well, I do, but that stupid system is having a fit right now). Are you saying that when you select the ability for the computer to sleep, wake on lan isn't available to click?

I just did everything in the three links including registry entries NADA ZIP still does not work/ Its as if the signal isn't even getting to the machine. Now when the machines are all up I can access and control them from the Splashtop software no problem I can even shut them down or put them to sleep. I just cannot wake them up. Also yes if I unclick the allow the computer to put the device to sleep it unclicks the wol and the magic packet...and also i have disabled fast startup....

I also bought a New Asus ax3000 new router made no difference took it back this is all local in my house not from the out side

Sounds like you've done everything. Did you check the magic packet setting in the nic properties?

yep packet match settings etc etc and even tried turning off energy saving on off no difference I'm running 21h1 win10 on all machine all updated latest drivers, I have 5 Megabyte (50 megabit) internet from fiber. no connectivity issues I even have my 3 IP cams port forwarded on router {fixed ip on them}....I ju st don't have any more ideas It almost feels like WOL has been disabled by ms but Surely that would have been posted by someone by now....

All I can think of is that there's something missing because if this was truly broken, a lot more people would have posted about it without any solution.

Thats my conclusion also something is amiss somewhere. Could the two hubs be having some issue? a 12 port and and a five port maybe swapping out one.or both?

I just switched hub out in one room no change. Then i took the main cat five from the router and hooked direct to pc and one direct to sleeping pc still no wake hubs eliminated WTF is going on? got reallly old router with ddrt firmware...maybe that will work?

Thats my conclusion also something is amiss somewhere. Could the two hubs be having some issue? a 12 port and and a five port maybe swapping out one.or both?
The switches shouldn't be affecting it unless they were changed since it was previously working.

I just switched hub out in one room no change. Then i took the main cat five from the router and hooked direct to pc and one direct to sleeping pc still no wake hubs eliminated WTF is going on? got reallly old router with ddrt firmware...maybe that will work?
It's something on the windows setup as that's the only thing that changed. Everything else didn't change so I can't believe any of it could be the root cause.

I have no ideas or clues but when 2 computers ea with a DIRECT connection to the router WOL fails? Maybe Rod Serling is standing in the corner? THank you or your help though.... This has to be a setting somewhere......

I have no ideas or clues but when 2 computers ea with a DIRECT connection to the router WOL fails? Maybe Rod Serling is standing in the corner? THank you or your help though.... This has to be a setting somewhere......
Just one of the settings in those links I posted earlier. There's a lot of them and I'm sure if just one isn't set right, poof, it won't work. It's probably as tough as getting IPsec vpn tunnels configured across different vendors--the days I spent 12hrs chasing that until I noticed just one thing set wrong--and then it started working and hasn't stopped.

One setting just like you said....got it working.. Had to enable the send function in Splashtop software and all computers had to sleep in the S3 mode,

One setting just like you said....got it working.. Had to enable the send function in Splashtop software and all computers had to sleep in the S3 mode,
Nice! So it was in the Splashtop software alone or you had to get them sleeping in S3 as well?

Back