Cannot use Autocad off of old drive

mlapgw

Gawd
I installed an SSD drive and put windows 7 proon it. My hope was to still use Autocad off my old spinning drive .
I have the AutoCad disk and can install it on the new SSD drive. I didn't want to do that because I have special menus set up specific to my industry. I did no want to have to reset up my autocad.
Unfortunately even though I can see the program on my old drive, clicking the launch icon gives me this message:
"The application has failed to start because it's side by side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use command line sxstrece.exe tool for more detail."

Is there anyway to run programs like these off my old harddrive while running windows on my new ssd?

AutoDesk softwares put a ton of miscellaneous crap in your C:\ as well as in your registry. I'd be surprised if AutoDesk had a way for you to do this...if you're a paying licensee shoot their techs an email or post on their forums they'd know for certain. You can't be the first person to try this.

Are we talking about an older or a recent version of Autocad? The recent versions are a total mess with the libraries and databases installed everywere on the disk. I would rather try to copy the GUI configuration over than to try and use an installation belonging to a different OS.

EDIT: Trying to use the support is an idea, but in my experience the support often has no clue why certain things stopped working. My approach to solving Autocad problems a fresh OS install. Luckily it does not break very often.

If its just the menu's your worried about, its all stored in the .cuix file. Do your new install and copy+open your old .cuix and your done.

If you have customized other stuff, alot of it is stored in the users registry under the ACAD tree as well as the users app data folders.

I've copied users ACAD settings from old computers to new ones without problems.

What version of CAD are ya using?

snip
Is there anyway to run programs like these off my old harddrive while running windows on my new ssd?

No, do it like satterth said, I will try it later too.
Another option is to use Tools->Customize->Export Customizations or the cuiexport/cuiimport commands before and after upgrade/change for transferring your settings.

I know, it's a pain in the arse to make all the GUI to your liking. For me it takes at least 2 days to configure and modify my AutoCAD settings after an update to another version... LOL

I don't know what was in your mind, when you hoped that an earlier Acad installation will work after a new OS install on another drive. :rolleyes:

I'll try what satterth said. Thanks for that, it is a pain in the ass to set up my menus again. I am using Autocad 2011LT.
I had not planned on putting the autocad on the same drive as my Windows 7. I can do it, I have the room , just wasn't the plan.
If I do a fresh install can I direct it to be in a different drive from the O.S. or is this something funky with this program and it really should be on the same drive?

If your doing a install you can install it to a different drive. It does not need to be a system drive.

Back