cannot start IE7 in vista64 anymore!?

wizzackr

[H]ard|Gawd
ok, here is the problem: yesterday microsoft update installed a new cumulative security update for IE7 on my vista64 machine. since then, i cannot even start the bloody program anymore: whenever i intend to, IE7 starts up briefly and then the download window pops up asking where i want to save an unknown file called "navcancl".

a quick google on "navcancl" spits out a whole lot of information on a known spyware threat ect. - but neither defender (meh...), spybot or even nod32 reports any spyware or malware on my system.

now the problem is: i cannot even re-install internet explorer on vista, as microsoft seems to see it as part of the OS! any clue on how i could try to fix this except for an entire reinstall of the system?

any help is greatly appreciated, guys...

you try system restore? it makes a restore point right before updating.

Have you tried saving the file and then seeing if IE will fire up after you've done so?

Yep, checked what you suggested, too. However, after some deep digging i came up with this:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/co...=65a522c2-e440-42b9-9b07-a6267bd6945d&m=1&p=1

Aparently, the problem exists on both XP SP2 and Vista machines and is caused by the latest security update and IE7's phishing filter. Reinstalling does not help - as soon as the cumulative security update is installed you end up with the same rubbish again. I'm posting this in case someone ends up with the same problem - until MS addresses the issue you will have to tun off the phishing filter... bugger.

Back