Cannot install nvidia drivers

Syphon Filter

2[H]4U
Hi All,

My system (sig below but running at stock) shat the bed last night. I fired up Just Cause 3 and the game hung.

After that happened, my system was having trouble detecting my GPUs (SLI 780Ti). It was as if the drivers had been corrupted / lost from the system.

Since then I have tried:

1. Reinstalling the drivers - results in a black screen / hang.
2. Removing one card and then the other.
3. I thought I had narrowed it down to a duff card but now I get a "Nvidia Installer Failed" error when trying to install drivers.

Now that item 3 is happening with what I thought was the "good" card I am a little concerned that I either have a deeper issue (mobo?) or that it's not hardware related at all.

Any ideas?

Do you have a backup prior to this hang?

Maybe try an earlier version, like 344.75?

I tried a restore point, still couldn't successfully install drivers. I've started from scratch and done the following:

Card 1:

Starting from a clean Win 10 install with Card 1 installed:

1. It was detected correctly as a 780Ti (this is the card I used to do the Windows install).
2. Nvidia drivers appeared to install correctly.
3. The machine rebooted and BSOD.
4. Reboot leads to BSOD.
5. Moved card to another slot, made it to desktop but BSOD shortly after.
6. Reboot, made it to desktop - card now shows as "Video Controller (VGA Compatible).
7. I ran GeForce Experience and it immediately downloaded 359.00 driver. No other tabs were usable.
8. Tried installing driver via GFE. Result - BSOD & reboot.
9. Card now shows as 780Ti in DevMan. Tried installing driver from here (automatically).
10. Driver installed and requested reboot. BSOD.

Stopped testing Card 1 at this point. Removed card from system and installed Card 2.

Card 2:

Carrying on from the above.

1. Booted ok.
2. Things immediately looked better as the monitor was running at native res rather than 640x480 stretched out or whatever the "I've shit myself" default is.
3. Installed 359.00 nvidia package. This installed fine.
4. Rebooted - all good. Nvidia control panel loads and works.
5. Shut down and moved card to another slot (just to rule out slots) - desktop loaded at crappy res but flicked to native almost immediately.
6. Installed Steam and 3DMark - scored 10,472 overall which I believe is about right for a 780Ti.

Stopped testing Card 2 at this point.

Surely the conclusion is Card 1 is FUBAR and Card 2 is fine??

Back