Cannot hit 2560x1600 - Dell 3007WFP and Dell Optiplex 980

SBMongoos

[H]ard|Gawd
From the research I have done I should be able to hit 2560x1600 with this equipment. But, it maxes at 1280x800. I have tried using the old ATI Radeon HD 3400 with a Dual Link DVI cable. I switched to the DisplayPort using a Display to DVI with the dual link cable but still hit 1280x800. Remove/deleted drivers and installed but no luck. Both devices spec to 2560x1600. I have a newer 24" Dell monitor that I connect to and it can hit the 1900 res.

Any ideas?

Try a different cable? That 3400 should support one dual-link output.

But if you could post a picture of your DVI connector we could make sure. There were lots of different variants of these cheap things, and nixing the dual-link port seems like an obvious cost-saving measure.

Or it could just be broken. You don't know, you've never pushed the output this hard.

Also, if you're not using one of these beefy powered dual-link adapters, it won't work. But they're so expensive you might as well buy a video card.

Accell B087B-003J Mini DisplayPort to DVI Dual-Link Adapter - Newegg.com

Last edited:
I've tried a couple of cables and adapters. It seems that DVI-D is needed and DualLink and the Display Adapter to be active not passive. On the pic of the display adapter ends the white one is a Molex and the black is Dell. See images.

Attachments

• 20160720_142004.jpg
    20160720_142004.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 20160720_142035.jpg
    20160720_142035.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Sorry, I meant the DVI port on the HD 3400 you mentioned. They might have gone with single-link DVI as a cost-saving measure.

That cable is definitely dual-link capable.

And there are plenty of "active" single-link DVI adapters out there. I just want to make it clear to you that there's a big difference between the two.

And it could easily be any piece of the puzzle here. The second link on the HD 3400 could just not be working, or it could be a lower-quality cable. You wouldn't notice either of these things UNTIL YOU USED the second link.

Or maybe the inputs on this monitor are noisy, causing it to be picky about the quality of the signal. This goes double when you're trying to keep two links synchronized. Be prepared to spend some time and money troubleshooting.

Dell 3007wfp - Wont go into high resolution - Badcaps Forums

Last edited:
Sorry, I meant the DVI port on the HD 3400 you mentioned. They might have gone with single-link DVI as a cost-saving measure.

That cable is definitely dual-link capable.

And there are plenty of "active" single-link DVI adapters out there. I just want to make it clear to you that there's a big difference between the two.

The pic I added here shows the DVI connection on the ATI card and then the ends of the DVI connections on the Y cable.

I've checked my DVI-D to Display adapters again and they are dual link. Odd the video card (DVI) adn the onboard Display port are both doing the same thing.

Attachments

• 20160720_144330.jpg
    20160720_144330.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Well, there's your problem: you're using a Molex DMS 59 to dual-DVI adapter. It doesn't have enough signal pins to carry TWO dual-link DVI, so it just defauts to single-link on both leads.

DMS-59 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DVI Dual Link Display vs. DMS-59 Connector

YES, even though those ends have all the connectors for dual-link, they cant handle it.

That's why it blew my mind that the industry adopted these shitty things. It castrates your resolution support, and all for the sake of a second connector.

Anytime somebody tells you THE LINKS IN THE CHAIN DOESN'T MATTER, set them straight :D

Okay..that makes sense as to why I cannot use the ATI card the Molex Y adapter. But, it seems the display to DVI -> dual link DVI cable -> DVI port on 30" display ought to hit that res.

Okay..that makes sense as to why I cannot use the ATI card the Molex Y adapter. But, it seems the display to DVI -> dual link DVI cable -> DVI port on 30" display ought to hit that res.

You haven't mentioned what brand and model number DP to DVI adapter you're using. You have to communicate if I'm going to help :D

You haven't mentioned what brand and model number DP to DVI adapter you're using. You have to communicate if I'm going to help :D

I've tried four:
  1. Dell DANARBC084
  2. Molex 7476667706 (it appears)
  3. Amphenol E326508
  4. BizLink CN-023NVR

I've tried four:
  1. Dell DANARBC084
  3. Amphenol E326508
  4. BizLink CN-023NVR

Dell DANARBC084 is single-link:

DPT TO DVI SGL LINK ADPT 470-AANH - DANARBC084 - Newegg.com

The Bizlink is a rebdged Dell, which is also single-link.

Amazon.com: Dell Universal DisplayPort (DP) to DVI Video Adapter Cable: Electronics

The rest of your post just looks like cables, not adapters.

Amphenol - E326508 - HDMI Cable, 8 FT | Multicom Online Store

Amphenol Displayport Cable E326508 Awm Style 20276 80°c Vw-1 Male To Male 6 Ft

I don't know what the hell a Molex 7476667706 is, but it sounds like a cable.

So, you don't have a Dual-link DVI capable graphics card because of that stupid low-profile multipurpose connector, and you don't have a Dual-link DVI capable adapter. Since those are expensive, I'd just buy a new graphics card like this one:

Amazon.com: MSI Computer Low Profile PCI-Express Video Card GT 710 1GD3H LPV1: Computers & Accessories

That is single-slot, low-profile, so it should be compatible with whatever PC can fit that HD 3400.

This card was released six months ago, so Nvidia should commit to support it on new Windows releases for at least half a decade.

Here is the spec page, confirming dual-link DVI and 2560x1600@60hz support:

GT 710 1GD3H LPV1 | MSI USA | Graphics card - The world leader in display performance

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The pic I added here shows the DVI connection on the ATI card and then the ends of the DVI connections on the Y cable.

I've checked my DVI-D to Display adapters again and they are dual link. Odd the video card (DVI) adn the onboard Display port are both doing the same thing.
That doesn't look like a standard HD 3400. It looks like a modified version for the OEM machine you're using. Here is what the I/O panel on a retail HD 3400 looks like:
HD_3400_Series_67650.jpg

The video card I found that matches the I/O configuration is Dell Y103D, which is actually an HD 3450.
Y103D 0Y103D CN-0Y103D | Ati Rsdeon HD3450 DMS59 Low Profile Card

Unfortunately the specifications on that page are for the retail version of the card.
I've tried four:
  1. Dell DANARBC084
  3. Amphenol E326508
  4. BizLink CN-023NVR
Everything you listed are passive convertors. DisplayPort can only passively provide single-link bandwidth for DVI. You need an active adapter to get the required dual-link bandwidth for 2560x1600.

My mistake. I posted a source DP to output DVI adapter. I don't think there are adapters out there that work the other way around?

That doesn't look like a standard HD 3400. It looks like a modified version for the OEM machine you're using. Here is what the I/O panel on a retail HD 3400 looks like:
HD_3400_Series_67650.jpg

The video card I found that matches the I/O configuration is Dell Y103D, which is actually an HD 3450.
Y103D 0Y103D CN-0Y103D | Ati Rsdeon HD3450 DMS59 Low Profile Card

Unfortunately the specifications on that page are for the retail version of the card.

Everything you listed are passive convertors. DisplayPort can only passively provide single-link bandwidth for DVI. You need an active adapter to get the required dual-link bandwidth for 2560x1600.

My mistake. I posted a source DP to output DVI adapter. I don't think there are adapters out there that work the other way around?

This desktop is a slimline case so the card is a low profile. Based on the logos on some of these adapters I thought they were active DVI to Display.

Dell DANARBC084 is single-link:

DPT TO DVI SGL LINK ADPT 470-AANH - DANARBC084 - Newegg.com

The Bizlink is a rebdged Dell, which is also single-link.

Amazon.com: Dell Universal DisplayPort (DP) to DVI Video Adapter Cable: Electronics

The rest of your post just looks like cables, not adapters.

Amphenol - E326508 - HDMI Cable, 8 FT | Multicom Online Store

Amphenol Displayport Cable E326508 Awm Style 20276 80°c Vw-1 Male To Male 6 Ft

I don't know what the hell a Molex 7476667706 is, but it sounds like a cable.

So, you don't have a Dual-link DVI capable graphics card because of that stupid low-profile multipurpose connector, and you don't have a Dual-link DVI capable adapter. Since those are expensive, I'd just buy a new graphics card like this one:

Amazon.com: MSI Computer Low Profile PCI-Express Video Card GT 710 1GD3H LPV1: Computers & Accessories

That is single-slot, low-profile, so it should be compatible with whatever PC can fit that HD 3400.

This card was released six months ago, so Nvidia should commit to support it on new Windows releases for at least half a decade.

Here is the spec page, confirming dual-link DVI and 2560x1600@60hz support:

GT 710 1GD3H LPV1 | MSI USA | Graphics card - The world leader in display performance

The Ampehnol is an adapter and that's the only number on it. The Molex one shows the model as 7476667706 and is also an adapter. I thought then ends of these things showed if they are passive or active. Maybe I need to be clear on which logo I need?

HD_3400_Series_67650.jpg

Right, I already posted this earlier in the thread. Next time read a bit? :D

Most low-profile versions of the card shipped like this, which provides TWO single-link DVI ports in the space of a single DVI port:

4100G81YH9L.jpg

I am SO glad we ditched this mess for DVI plus HDMI.

Obviously this can't do dual-link DVI. I already solved that mystery yesterday, so keep the thread on-track.

The Ampehnol is an adapter and that's the only number on it. The Molex one shows the model as 7476667706 and is also an adapter. I thought then ends of these things showed if they are passive or active. Maybe I need to be clear on which logo I need?

If you can't tell us where you bought it, and if you didn't pay at least a eighty dollars for it, it's likely not dual-link. This is a list of dual-link adapters:

Dell Adapter - DisplayPort to DVI (Dual-Link) : Dell TVs 4K Smart TV Curved TV & Flat Screen TVs | Dell

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DisplayPort-Active-Adapter-Converter/dp/B00A493CNY

Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter

Amazon.com: Accell B087B-002B UltraAV DisplayPort to DVI-D Dual-Link Adapter - Black: Electronics

The dual-link adapters are all ungodly expensive. They're also picky as hell; when it comes to display compatibility (no flicker), which is why I keep pointing you toward that cheap $35 graphics card. GUARANTEED WORKS, and if it doesn't you can RMA the thing.

Last edited:
If you can't tell us where you bought it, and if you didn't pay at least a hundred dollars for it, it's likely not dual-link.

The dual-link adapters are all ungodly expensive. They're also picky as hell; when it comes to display comparability, which is why I keep pointo9g you toward that cheap m$35 graphics card. GUARANTEED WORKS, and if it doesn't you can RMA the thing.

This is at a business and I'm working with what was provided and available. Budget is an issue often.

This is at a business and I'm working with what was provided and available. Budget is an issue often.

So you drop the cash, or you toss the monitor in the dust bin. I don't see why this is my fucking problem all of a sudden. I told you what you need to get things working, and $35 is not a lot of money.

You do know you can purchase a card from Best Buy and then return it for a full refund after you've confirmed that the thing works, right? No money out of your cheap pocket, and you can justify putting in a purchase order at work for a new graphics card once you know it works.

Last edited:
Right, I already posted this earlier in the thread. Next time read a bit? :D

Most low-profile versions of the card shipped like this, which provides TWO single-link DVI ports in the space of a single DVI port:

4100G81YH9L.jpg

I am SO glad we ditched this mess for DVI plus HDMI.

Obviously this can't do dual-link DVI. I already solved that mystery yesterday, so keep the thread on-track.
Read the whole thread. If we want to get technical, your post was only talking about the DMS-59 connection itself, and I was just clarifying what exact hardware the OP has. Agree with all your points, though.
You need a powered active adapter to get dual-link bandwidth. A powered adapter will require a power source, USB or otherwise. As defaultuser said, you're better off just replacing the video card. Since you say this is at a business, I think that you have enough information at this point to put together a justification if you really need to use this monitor at its full resolution.

I'm seeing DP++ on the adapter so they should be active
So you drop the cash, or you toss the monitor in the dust bin. I don't see why this is my fucking problem all of a sudden. I told you what you need to get things working, and $35 is not a lot of money.

You do know you can purchase a card from Best Buy and then return after you've confirmed that the thing works, right? No money out of your cheap pocket, and you can justify putting in a purchase order at work for a new graphics card once you know it works.

It's not your problem. I was thinking that this may be something simple I'm overlooking. So, you don't need to make it yours. Thank you for your help.

Some of the adapters I have are Active, some are Passive. I'm testing with the Active adapters and the Display port on the back of the PC (it's built into the motherboard). It seemed there is no reason this option shouldn't work. Often it's a case of trying to make something from what's available first. I'm not in control of the budgets and how things get spent as that's out of my control.

Again, thanks for your help.

Read the whole thread. If we want to get technical, your post was only talking about the DMS-59 connection itself, and I was just clarifying what exact hardware the OP has. Agree with all your points, though.

You need a powered active adapter to get dual-link bandwidth. A powered adapter will require a power source, USB or otherwise. As defaultuser said, you're better off just replacing the video card. Since you say this is at a business, I think that you have enough information at this point to put together a justification if you really need to use this monitor at its full resolution.

Agreed. Appreciate the help you've both provided.

To be 100% clear this is the card being recommended: Y103D 0Y103D CN-0Y103D | Ati Rsdeon HD3450 DMS59 Low Profile Card, correct?

Agreed. Appreciate the help you've both provided.

To be 100% clear this is the card being recommended: Y103D 0Y103D CN-0Y103D | Ati Rsdeon HD3450 DMS59 Low Profile Card, correct?

No, I didn't link you to that card. That's the same card you have, with that same annoying as hell DMS-59 adapter.

You need to get something more recent to get out of that hell. Like this card I linked earlier:

Or if you must have AMD, get this (but not low-profile):

Amazon.com: MSI ATI Radeon HD6450 1 GB DDR3 VGA/DVI/HDMI Low Profile PCI-Express Video Card R6450-MD1GD3/LP: Electronics

Last edited:
I've owned a 3007 since they came out. The only display port adapter I got to work was the ~$100 apple unit, and even then I had weird problems with the monitor randomly going black.

I would stick to DVI and get a newer video card as others said.

At this point I am worried new cards might eventually go to only HDMI/DP.

I just picked up one of these GT 710 cards as well for a very similar thing. I have someone using an HTPC that needs HDMI out for audio, and none of the older cards I have kicking around support it. AFAIK, that HD3450 won't do HDMI audio either because of that splitter. If you have a non OEM version you can get the normal DVI -> HDMI adapter and I believe it will work. (The HD2xxx series had a "special" adapter and used a different one, just for reference)

Card seems to work well enough and should have plenty of power compared to the 9600GT it was replacing. It's rated for a 4K display so I'm guessing it must have HDMI v2.0 on it. Not to mention the max TDP of only 19W.

SBMongoos: Did you try the onboard graphics for the heck of it? Afaik there should be a Display Port connector on the back of that tower connected to the Integrated graphics. The GT 710 is no doubt a faster card than the integrated that's in that pc, but it's definitely not a card for gaming. (The memory bandwidth is severely stripped otherwise I think the card would be faster than it is.) You probably didn't even see it because it's covered by a black plug next to the parallel port. Also, on those models, I'm pretty certain you have to remove the dedicated video card for the integrated graphics to enable. You cannot use both at the same time in those models.

-> bman

As for the built on displayport. Yes, it's been mentioned previously (above). And yes I had to take out the ATi card to get it to work. But the resolution also doesn't go any higher than 1280x800 on that
Dell 3007WFP.

Snip snip

EDIT: It were not the 980's which needed other GPU's. Our 980's do 1440x2560 fine... I don't know about 1600x2560.
What driver do you have installed? Even in Win10 it works for us.

Last edited:
Back