Cannot hear line-in when using SPDIF out (onboard Realtek HD)

saiyan

n00b
Hi all.

I have recently built a new system and I noticed that I cannot hear anything plugged into line-in on the back of the motherboard if I use SPDIF out for sound output. However, I can hear line-in just fine when using analog speaker output.

The motherboard in question is a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P with onbaord Realtek HD Audio and I am running Windows Vista Ultimate x64.

Does anyone know if there is any known problem with Realtek's line-in and SPDIF out?

Thanks.

No problems. Just set digital output as default audio source.

No problems. Just set digital output as default audio source.

Sigh.. Let me describe my problem again in a different way.

When i want to hear sounds using analog speaker output, I do the following:
-Set "Speakers" as the default device in control panel.
There is NO issues. I can hear the device connected to line-in just fine.

When I want to hear sounds using SPDIF out, I do the following.
-Set "Realtek digital output" as the default output device in control panel.
This is where I have the problem. I can hear MP3 playback, Dolby/DTS audio output from DVDs but I can NOT hear anything from the device connected to line-in. Please remember that I can record sounds from line-in just fine but I can NOT hear line-in in real-time.

Perhaps the mixer of the onboard Realtek unit does not mix sounds from analog line-in when using SPDIF digital out.

Not 100% sure of this answer because I've been doing so much reading over the past few nights... however... I remember reading some info on a Microsoft site that stated if an application uses the sound card in exclusive mode that the inputs can not be "shared". I believe the application your talking about forces the sound into an exclusive mode condition and there by disables the other streams.

Like I said, I can't quote the source but I do recall reading this from some Microsoft papers.

Highlander

I don't think application and "exclusive mode" has anything to do with the line-in issue.

Even without any desktop applications running, line-in can not be heard through SPDIF output.

Mixer problem? Driver problem? I don't know.

I will probably buy a sound card to end my suffering.

I'll have to try this myself, I've never heard of this issue before, then again it may have never been tried either..

Wow, I figured I would never find someone again with the exact issue I have. I have a MSI P6N motherboard. (Same Realtek HD audio) I have the Logitech Z-5500s hooked up to that over an Optical cable. This works fine and everything can be heard when the digital is set as the defualt.

I then have my Wii plugged in using the Line-in (blue). When I start this up, no sound comes from the speakers and there does not seem to be any way to make them do so. I've gone through all settings, nothing fixes the issue.

the solution that I found is to hook the Z-5500s up over Direct 6-channel audio. I then can set up DSCaler (capture program) to output over the speakers, and it will then play fine. Although, for this to work I do have to set the Z-5500s to Direct, and then back to Optical when done.

I have kind of concluded this has something to do with the signal being analog. It takes the analog signal and the card does not have any way to output it or convert for output on the digital. I'm not sure why they did not think of this, but it is annoying.

Anyone have a solution, maybe this extra information helps?

I have kind of concluded this has something to do with the signal being analog. It takes the analog signal and the card does not have any way to output it or convert for output on the digital. I'm not sure why they did not think of this, but it is annoying.

My thought exactly. I don't think the Realtek sound unit can mix analog line-in and output sound through SPDIF out. My 5 years old SBLive has no problem doing that so I don't know why this latest Reatek HD audio processor can not do the same thing. Too bad I gave my SBLive away already. Now I just need to decide what to buy; Auzentech X-Fi Prelude or HT Omega Claro+?

Hmmm, so this is not an issue found in a nice sound card. There are no specifications, and few people have the stuff to test it out.

You know this works on other cards?

I've found a workaround for this problem, since this is the first google hit I am going to post ist here.
to use this Workaround you need either Media Player Classic (HC) or the Video Lan Client.

First you have to select the right input at the recording settings.
in XP you can find them under Control Panel->Sounds and Audio Devices->Audio->Sound Recording
here select Realtec HD Audio Input
press Volume...
in this menue you can find the audio input channels.
Feel free to mute the channels you do not want to hear.
If you are missing a channel select options->properties

Instrictions for the MPC(or MPC Home Cinema):
1. Start MPC
2. select File->Open Device
3. Leave Video empty
4. in the Audio box select Realtec HD Audio Input
5. press OK

Instrictions for the VideoLan Client
1. Start VideoLan Client
2. select Media->Open Capture Device
3. in the Video box select None
4. in the Audio box select Realtec HD Audio Input