Cannot get the hang of Xbox's controller sync

Rurik

Supreme [H]ardness
This is driving me up the wall. There are times when I just want to switch controllers, but the Xbox 360 won't let you.

My son has a blue controller, and it's HIS ONLY. OK, fine. But, if we want to switch so that I get first player and he gets second, we can't do that. Even if you turn off all of the controllers and re-sync them, they always revert back to their previous slot.

I didn't mind much until I got into Guitar Hero. Now, if I'm playing a game, then switch to GH, I'm screwed. When the wireless guitar comes on, it's player 2. I have to use the controller to do everything in the game. If I turn off the guitar, turn off the controller, wait two minutes, turn JUST the guitar on, the guitar goes back to player 2.

The only way I know to get around this is to manually turn off the Xbox and turn it back on. There HAS to be an easier way?!

Get a third controller, I believe if you power down the first player controller and then power on the third one it will take the first slot. I do this when the battery runs out on one so I just start up a new one. Other than that you have to restart the 360 I guess...

This is driving me up the wall. There are times when I just want to switch controllers, but the Xbox 360 won't let you.

My son has a blue controller, and it's HIS ONLY. OK, fine. But, if we want to switch so that I get first player and he gets second, we can't do that. Even if you turn off all of the controllers and re-sync them, they always revert back to their previous slot.

I didn't mind much until I got into Guitar Hero. Now, if I'm playing a game, then switch to GH, I'm screwed. When the wireless guitar comes on, it's player 2. I have to use the controller to do everything in the game. If I turn off the guitar, turn off the controller, wait two minutes, turn JUST the guitar on, the guitar goes back to player 2.

The only way I know to get around this is to manually turn off the Xbox and turn it back on. There HAS to be an easier way?!

From what i know, the only way to change the order of how wireless controllers connect is to indeed restart the xbox. In the three years i've had my 360 that's the only way i've found to do it, and im pretty sure there isnt any other way around. Sry but i guess you just have to restart your box every time, unless someone else here knows otherwise :(

Yup, turn the xbox off and use the controller that will be 1p to turn the xbox on (press the silver button). Always works for me when playing with friends.

Back