cannot get my mic on headset to work

dragnandy

Limp Gawd
first off, i have an NZXT Tempest computer case, Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy SE Card, and a GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L motherboard. here are the products for more info.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=creative_suond_audigy-_-29-102-003-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128337

It is said that there is a mic port on the sound card, the blue circled port. However, when i plug in my mic, windows and steam does not detect them. So, i plugged them into my motherboard mic, the one in the back and it does not work. I plugged in the connector to the front mic port and that also doesn't work. im not familiar with this stuff and do not know where to start.

Is it possible to enable just the onboard mic in while still using the sound blaster for my speakers? i would be okay using speakers for sound and just using my headset for the mic as my headphones arent that great..

Last edited:
go into the audio control panel, make sure line in/mic isn't muted, also make sure whatever option that resembles "Boost Mic Gain" is enabled (and that the volume slider for this channel is decently turned up), you'll also need to make sure that your default input/recording/etc device is the Audigy SE

in Steam you'll want to go into audio properties and select the Audigy SE as the audio input device

thanks obobski. i was able to fiddle with the audio control panel and get things to work. the problem before was that i had to set the device to default before i could hear anything. because the Audigy SE is in the back, i decided to use the front panel headphone/mic ports for convenience.

i was also able to set the mic in the front to default. The only problem is that if im playing a song (or in a middle of a game), and i switch from headphones to speakers, i have to stop the music completely (or restart the game). I know prebuilt PCs have a thing where the audio goes straight to speakers from mic once you unplug the mic. is there a way to achieve this?

I know prebuilt PCs have a thing where the audio goes straight to speakers from mic once you unplug the mic. is there a way to achieve this?

If any do, it's probably the result of a sloppily-coded jack sensing driver...

If any do, it's probably the result of a sloppily-coded jack sensing driver...

what? :confused:

most pre-builds, and a lot of onboard solutions, have jack-sense, and I've yet to encounter a problem with it working, most modern receivers have the feature too, is this what you're talking about, or are you talking about something else? (I'm confused)

to the OP:
no, I doubt you can enable this with the Audigy SE, your onboard might do it if you use that overall, check the user manual though, it'll tell you (before you waste time changing a ton of settings/wiring)

otherwise, deal with what you've got, or find one of the very few soundcards that have jack-sense (I think a few Asus boards do, I know my Audigy 2 ZS Platinum does if you have the front panel wired in, the X-Fi Titanium F-Pro might/should, that Onkyo might, etc)

thanks guys. This has made my gaming experience overall, a thrill! i have been using my integrated monitor mic and it hasnt been that good. I guess i can deal with this little nuance. Not that big of a deal anyways

Back