Cannot Get i7 4790K to stop Throttling under load

Lord_Exodia

Supreme [H]ardness
Trying to overclock my Haswell cpu on the setup in my sig.

I've tried tweaking settings from some guides on the internet and for some reason I can't get this cpu to stop throttling.

There are a million options in the bios but I can't seem to narrow down the ones that stabalize it.

Temps are good but cpu-z says 4.8ghz until I put a load on the cpu then it begins to throttle all over the place. It's like it has a new frequency every 3 seconds. If I set everything to stock it boosts to 4.4 and stays stable which right now is a better bargain since My overclock settings throttle me to as low as 3.3 ghz at times.

I'm on the latest bios on my motherboard. This setup is brand new (less than 30 days) and I'm finding it very challenging to get this setup to give me a stable overclock. Someone told me that this is a thing on the Asus Z97 chipset motherboards and it has to do with a specific settings or set of settings which for some reason somebody in Asus decided would be great to enable as a default :mad: /endrant

My brother has his 4770K on his Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 board stable at 4.4ghz but he can't remember what setting stabalized it in his bios and has been super busy at work to look into it further for me. (We each live apart have our own families and shit)

I'm currently posting with a 4.8Ghz overclock using a multiplyer of 48 a voltage of 1.347 and when I get home I can give more specifics etc... link to the guide I'm trying to follow (outdated)

Is there a helpful guide you have used or found for my motherboard or at least the series Z97-A that explains all the bios settings and can help me find the one responsible for my cpu throttling under load so that I can disable that? Comments are appreciated more than links but right now I'll take what I can get. I'm very tired of reading but that's what this stuff is all about.

Any help will be appreciated. Questions that need answers for you to help will be answered ASAP. Thanks for any help :)

There should be a option in bios to lock all cores to the same multiplier, or change per core to 48x on all cores.

for Asus Z97s, they call it Asus Enhanced Mode. If you set your Memory to JDEC 2400 mode in EZ-Setup, it should ask you if you want to enable it.

what you are seeing is the stock intel behavior for turboboost.

48x when only one core is loaded, 46x when 2 cores are loaded, and 44x when 3+ cores are loaded.

or something to that effect, i made up those numbers.

As the cores load, the mulipliers change.

It not really throttling, 48x denotes the max single threaded multiplier.

Last edited:
Are you under the impression your cpu can do 4.8ghz without throttling?!

You are giving it a LOT of voltage. Throttling is what happens when you supply too many volts causing too hot of a temp in there...

What are your temps?

What are you using to present this load?

What if you ran it at 4.7ghz with a vcore of 1.3 - do you get any throttling?

Mine is currently at 4.8GHz, vcore 1.293. I have the h100i cooler. I can run the Aida64 stability test (with GPU checked) for a very long time and I've never seen it throttle. ANYTHING past this point voltage-wise results in A LOT of heat

Last edited:
Okay so I'm back. I had to move my components to a new case. I have my multiplier set by Per Core and set each to 48. Still Throttling.

Anyone know at what temp these cpu's begin to temperature throttle? It's strange though because if I leave the cpu at stock it boosts to 4.4 consistently and gives me better results than if I overclock because of the throttling

Damn these CPU's are hard to overclock, much harder than sandy bridge.

I've lowered my voltage to 1.295 just for testing and when I'm stressing the CPU using Aida 64 FPU test I'm hitting 1.3-1.32 volts still and my temps are in the lower 80s. This is with a new cooler installed as well. Before I had a Corsair H60 and now I installed a Silverstone Tundra TD03. Going to lower my voltage to 1.215v to see if that helps any.

I set an option in the bios for temperature protection OFF to see if that helps and it doesn't appear to help.

When I get home I'll get back on the forums and answer each question here. and list a bunch of bios settings I'm curious about since I needed to adjust them for my P67 overclock but currently they are at stock.

Anyone with Specific ASUS Z97 motherboard bios tweaking experience here that had this issue and resolved it? Don't get me wrong, Anyone's help is appreciated but I think this issue may be specific to Asus Bios settings as I have heard this is a common issue on Asus Z97 motherboards.

Last edited:
dont forget they are basically already overclocked to 4.4 out ot the box.

4.8 is about as good as anyone has done.

try locking all cores to 4.5 and see if the behavior continues.

dont forget they are basically already overclocked to 4.4 out ot the box.

4.8 is about as good as anyone has done.

try locking all cores to 4.5 and see if the behavior continues.

Ok I'll try that when I get home. For that I'd imagine the stock voltage (whatever that value is) should suffice. That would be a good way to see if there is some setting causing it to throttle or if it's temp, or voltage, power delivery etc...

Okay I'm back. Man I got no time to make any progress on this yesterday.

At 4.6Ghz I AM NOT throttling. I should also note that I set my voltage to 1.2V and that gets me to 1.215 reported by Asus Ai Suite 3.

This was stable for over an hour in Aida 65 FPU test and temps maxed out at 85C.

Now as I understand it Aida 64 FPU test is the most strenuous load you can possibly put on a cpu and more than likely in real life scenarios my temps will probably not pass 60c or so. Is that safe to assume?

I'm thinking that I was being temp throttled because of the 1.347 voltage I had set may have been pumping about 1.39V into the cpu. I may have misread the temps and they may have been in the 90s (assuming)

I'm wondering what voltage I can stabilize 4.8Ghz. I'm scared to pump more voltage into this chip so hopefully I can keep it tame at 1.250 or less.

EDIT I went for 4.8 and I kept going up in voltage increments of 10 and got to 1.230 and no throttling. However huge temp increase. I was floating around 93 and then it throttled down to 4.7. It looks like my throttling all over the place before was because I was using such a erroneously high voltage. I got that advice from a Asus guide LOL http://pcdiy.asus.com/2014/06/6-497...ns-of-devils-canyon-on-asus-z97-motherboards/.

So my new mighty Tundra TD03 120mm push pull enclosed AIO loop cannot tame my proc at 4.8. There are a ton of other bios options though. I'm thinking if I can get my power delivery bios settings set better I can lower my voltage and find some kind of sweet spot.

anyway I've said a lot tonight and want to see what you guys have to say about the info I'm providing tonight. Tomorrow I'll post a list of the tweakable bios settings that may help. On my old p67 I had to set some to Extreme and they're at auto now etc...

Last edited:
It looks like you're going to need to tame that temperature.

Delid and/or apply a better TIM (assuming you aren't using Gelid GC-Extreme or one of the Coolaboratory Liquid Metals)

It looks like you're going to need to tame that temperature.

Delid and/or apply a better TIM (assuming you aren't using Gelid GC-Extreme or one of the Coolaboratory Liquid Metals)

Haven't touched the proc yet. Has Delidding been helping the 4790K? I'm not sure if it was all marketing propeganda but intel swore they got it right this time and delidding and reapplying better Tim wasn't necessary on this cpu. I know that delidding did miracles for the 4770K but if I'm not going to net much more of a temp decrease I'd rather avoid the risk. The only Tim I have in my home is Arctic Cooling MX-5 and that's what I applied between the proc and the Tundra TD-03. Hmm, maybe I'll download realtemp (if I remeember correctly) to see each core's individual temp. If not what sw is recommended for monitoring to see if I have bad temps on only some cores?

Thanks for all the replies so far BTW. Stuck at work now until 5pm est when I get home to look at this again.

Use Aida64, they tweak all the hardware sensors to be as accurate as possible.

Use Aida64, they tweak all the hardware sensors to be as accurate as possible.

Hey The Mac, I noticed you got a similar setup to me. How hot does your 4790K run in games and benchmarks e.g. Heaven, 3d Mark Fire strike etc?

I'm thinking that if 1.230 stays stable temp wise and for gaming (which is my primary use) then I'll leave it at 4.8 and just not push it with FPU test in Aida.

When I get home I'll do some logging and run heaven and 3d mark firestrike @ 4.8Ghz 1.230V to see if my temps are acceptable. Most interesting will be during the physics test in 3d mark to see how hot it gets.

Something tells me it's going to end up 20c cooler than when running a FPU stress in Aida and for me that's fine. I'll take 73c 24/7 for 4.8Ghz Stable w/o throttling.

Regardless of this (if it's the case) My gut tells me there are some bios options I can tweak to get my cpu more stable and actually require LESS voltage to my cpu. I may get away with 1.215 or something and that would probably stabalize my temps a bit.

Thanks again, I'm making progress and that's good

Okay so I'm back. Monitoring and running some benchmarks it appears that I don't hit 75C while running my cpu at 4.8ghz. I'll need to fine tune the voltage more. I ended up having to boost it a little more to 1.235 as 1.23 was just at the cusp of being stable but not quite there. I was able to run some heaven 4.0 and 3d mark firestrike benches with that voltage. More than likely in gaming it'll be the same for the cpu. Temps should be tame at 4.8Ghz. It seems Aida 64 Extreme just kicks the cpu right in the nuts as it taps into some serious shit that puts the cpu right at its knees.

I'll post below in a little bit some of the bios settings and what I have them set to. BRB :)

i run unlocked cores, and Asus otimized with an antec Kuhler CLC.

I get:

48x on single thread loads
46x (and sometimes 47x) on double thread loads
45x on 3+ threaded loads

i run unlocked cores, and Asus otimized with an antec Kuhler CLC.

I get:

48x on single thread loads
46x (and sometimes 47x) on double thread loads
45x on 3+ threaded loads

Hmm. that's an interesting setup. What option did you change in the bios to set them unlocked like that?

unlocked like that is intel speedboost 2.0 default behavior.

reset everything.

only use ezsetup.

select your ram speed with the jdec profile, when it asks you if you want ot use "Asus Enhanced Cores" say no (saying yes disables speedboost and locks them together)

select optimized on the Gage on the right (its red with a stylized flame on it)

save, reboot.

Fiddling with anything except devices on advanced will most likely disable the optimization, im not sure what you can and cant play with.

also, make sure you dont have any of the AI software installed.

Last edited:
Some of these were set from a guide I found online and could very well be why I'm running so hot under load. Please feel free to quote this and edit what you think I should change the value to. Currently I'm only overclocking using Multiplyer, I'm not touching Bclk now

AI Tweaker Menu:
PLL Selection = Auto Options Avail are LC PLL/ SB PLL
Filter PLL = Auto Options Avail are Low Bclk Mode/High Bclk mode
Asus Multi Core Enhancement = Auto Options are Auto/Disabled
Min/Max CPU Ratio = 39
Internal PLL overvoltage = Auto
OC Tuner = Ratio Tuning Options are Keep Current Setting/Bclk + Ratio

AI Tweaker > Digi VRM
CPU Load Line Calibration = Auto Options Avail Level 1-Level 9
CPU VRM Switching Frequency = Auto On P67 Motherboard had this set to Manual & 350
CPU Phase Control = Auto On P67 Motherboard had this set to Extreme
CPU Power Duty Control = T.Probe On P67 Motherboard had this set to Extreme
CPU Current Capability = Auto Options Available 100-140 (140 in red)

(I Set all of these Below from guide are any of them too high/low?)
AI Tweaker > CPU Power Management
CPU Cache Voltage 1.300
CPU Spread Spectrum = Enabled
CPU System Agent Voltage Sign = +
CPU System Agent Voltage .300
CPU Analog I/O Voltage Sign = +
CPU Analog I/O Voltage = .050
CPU Digital I/O Voltage Offset Sign = +
CPU Digital I/O Voltage Offset =.10
CPU Input Voltage 1.88

Advanced > CPU Power Management
CPU C-States = Enabled
Enhanced C1 = Disabled
CPU C3 Report = Enabled
CPU C6 Report = Enabled
C6 Latency = Short
CPU C7 Report = Disabled
C7 Latency = Long (dunno if matters since disabled)
CFG Lock = Disabled
Packet C-States Support = C3

Last edited:
you are asking the wrong dude.

lol

i leave everything on default like i posted above.

lol

i would start from scratch and let it auto PLL and voltage

disabling Cstates can adversely effect the power management.

probably not, devils canyon is basically already OCed to the tits.

Anybody got any ideas on my bios settings in post 17.

Quite a few things there that may be causing the overheating but I'm not sure. Somebody on [H]ardOCP gotta know something :D I mean we started the CPU overclocking lists. Help a brotha out Please.

Back