Cannot DELETE an ICON in Windows Vista?

vilhiem

Weaksauce
I have a shortcut icon on my desktop that I cannot delete.

What happened is that I installed the game Battlefield 2 recently. Then, I realized that I installed an incorrect patch so I had to un-install the game. The un-install however did not remove the original icon. When I re-installed BF2, I un-checked the box to include a new desktop icon (figuring the old one to work). It did not. Upon clicking that old icon, nothing happened. So I went to the File Manager and made a new shortcut for BF2 onto the desktop. Then, realizing now that I still had my old icon out there, I went to delete it and got this message: "Could not find this item. This is no longer located in C:\Users\Public\Public Desktop. Verify the item's location and try again."

And it's true, that icon is no longer in that folder.

So why can I NOT delete this darn icon?

good idea plasma, ... however I did try that and got the same error message :-(

Found this at lockergnome.com, although I would back the file up before deleting it, just in case ;) .

Launch an elevated CMD window, ie Right click, Run as Administrator...
Shutdown Explorer Process from the Task Manager
In the CMD window go to C:\Users\<ProfileName>\AppData\Local
Do the following command: attrib -H IconCache.db
Do the following command: del IconCache.db
Do the following command: start explorer

This should rebuild the Icon Cache..

original thread....

http://help.lockergnome.com/vista/Corrupted-Icons-Windows-Vista-ftopict37419.html

Found this at lockergnome.com, although I would back the file up before deleting it, just in case ;) .

Launch an elevated CMD window, ie Right click, Run as Administrator...
Shutdown Explorer Process from the Task Manager
In the CMD window go to C:\Users\<ProfileName>\AppData\Local
Do the following command: attrib -H IconCache.db
Do the following command: del IconCache.db
Do the following command: start explorer

This should rebuild the Icon Cache..

original thread....

http://help.lockergnome.com/vista/Corrupted-Icons-Windows-Vista-ftopict37419.html

glad to see they made Vista much more user-friendly and easier to accomplish simple tasks :rolleyes:

It was allot easier in XP using the power toys application. Is there a similar tool for Vista out yet?

glad to see they made Vista much more user-friendly and easier to accomplish simple tasks :rolleyes:
Sarcasm misdirected. That's pretty much the exact same manual procedure as existed for XP.

Perhaps you came along long enough after XP's early release period and had the benefit of add-on tools to perform all your tweaks though, and never actually had to do anything manually?

Back