Cannot connect to net, P2P networks fine.

JBaker4981

Weaksauce
Hey everyone. I have a friend who cannot connect to the internet, but however can connect to and use Bearshare (gasp!). It is probably something simple but I am not sure what it is. All of the connections are hooked up right and there are two laptops currently connected to the router, which works just fine, using the internet on my laptop for this now. It is the desktop that is connected that is giving the problem.

I am guessing that it has something to do with Port 80. It is not blocked by the firewall and is enabled in the router. Not sure what to do.

what have you tried to connect to such that you cannot connect to the "internet"? if you are connecting to a p2p network, you are connecting to the internet just fine.

Sorry, Im tired and not thinking. IE7 nor Firefox will connect, thats the problem. I figured that P2P uses a different port than the web browsers.

I forgot to add that I just installed Firefox 20 minutes ago and it doesnt work. Same problem as Internet Exploder 7. I tried repairing IE7 by resetting everything and it didnot work. I checked the firewall and nothing is blocked.

try to do an nslookup on www.google.com or any other common website. if you don't get any response, it could be a dns issue. the p2p network is connecting to the other users via IP, not dns name, so it will still work if dns isn't working. i'd check that first.

alright. been looking on google for awhile now. Would it be a DNS issue if all the computers but that one are online?

I assume you're getting dhcp? if so, check the dns settings on all computers to make sure they are all assigned the same dns server.

1. download dig and mtr for windows. nslookup and traceroute are obsolete and inaccurate technology. windows os is only os that still uses it for diagnostic.
2. use dig to check your DNS server is solving the name of site you are trying to reach.
3. test your route with MTR. one of the route might be slowing you down
4. if everything seems to fine. try telneting to the site. telnetd runs at port 23. you will not be telneting to a telnet server. you want to see if you can reach a http server, which runs on the port 80.
5. type "telnet www.sitename.com 80"
6. if it connects without any response. type in few basic http command such as
HEAD / HTTP/1.1
If it makes any response, you are connecting to the server. Now, the issue lies on the browser application.

I hope this helps.

1. download dig and mtr for windows. nslookup and traceroute are obsolete and inaccurate technology. windows os is only os that still uses it for diagnostic.

.... yeah, that's were 99% of this board stopped reading anything you wrote.

nslookup, traceroute, and ping even are just fine for their intended purpose. Basic network connectivity.

In this case you have someone who is having trouble explaining the situation they are dealing with and the first this you suggest is to download software off the net. How about basic pings to a website and see if it returns an IP address regardless if it times out or not. How about on the above mentioned nslookup what was the IP address of the DNS server that was being queried?

3. test your route with MTR. one of the route might be slowing you down
Love this one. Two parts, how would they know what a slowed "route" looks like, second - what would you have them do about a slow "route"?

Back to the original poster:
To check the DHCP settings mentioned above, from the command prompt type:
ipconfig /all
The line you are looking for to be the same on both systems is:
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : <IP address of DNS server/router>

.... yeah, that's were 99% of this board stopped reading anything you wrote.

nslookup, traceroute, and ping even are just fine for their intended purpose. Basic network connectivity.

In this case you have someone who is having trouble explaining the situation they are dealing with and the first this you suggest is to download software off the net. How about basic pings to a website and see if it returns an IP address regardless if it times out or not. How about on the above mentioned nslookup what was the IP address of the DNS server that was being queried?

Love this one. Two parts, how would they know what a slowed "route" looks like, second - what would you have them do about a slow "route"?

Back to the original poster:
To check the DHCP settings mentioned above, from the command prompt type:
ipconfig /all
The line you are looking for to be the same on both systems is:
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : <IP address of DNS server/router>

If you can't help others, I think the best idea is stay quiet. I think giving helpful suggestions are the best behavior. Also, we should always try our best to clearly format our statements. I can't even understand what you have written. Anyway, Mike I don't know who you are, but let's try our best to help Baker.

By the way, if his p2p is working it is probably nothing to do his DNS setting in Windows. I am leaning this issue to unusual http proxy settings. Your suggestions of ping and nslookup are irrelevant to help Baker out. They wouldn't show the proper correct information. Anyway Mite, the simple search with your favorite search engine will show, why many developers were trying to phase out nslookup, and traceroute for the last 10 years. Anyway, let's not get personal and focus on Baker's issue.

Why not, the results of ping would let you see if DNS was working or not.

Not everybody responds to ICMP “echo request” packets. Technically, you can even change the setting, so you can even slow the echo requests through firewall. Most sites don't use home routers. :) Commercial and higher end open source routers have more flexible features. Anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread. Let's focus back to Baker.:D
not really, most p2p use IP's, not URL's

It has to logon or find the tracker server. If DNS setting was the issue, he wouldn't even logon to p2p.

Not everybody responds to ICMP “echo request” packets.

Doesn't matter if the remote server responds, it'll show if the URL resolves in a format that is somewhat less confusing than nslookup. If you ever had to troubleshoot an issue like this over the phone with a complete non-technical user, you'll know exactly what I mean

I had this problem before.. there was some error with winsock. I could ping sites and connect through p2p, but websites wouldn't work.

Try a winsock reset::
In command prompt type: netsh -> winsock -> reset. Reboot after the success message. Hope this helps.

Doesn't matter if the remote server responds, it'll show if the URL resolves in a format that is somewhat less confusing than nslookup. If you ever had to troubleshoot an issue like this over the phone with a complete non-technical user, you'll know exactly what I mean

Right. I know help desk people have procedures how they respond to users issue for a long time now. However, there are many changes took place in the networking world. Anyhow, icmp echo request manipulations are very common these days. Sometimes, they don't tell us much. I didn't want to get too technical with that issue. Microsoft needs to start updating some default tools for their OSes. Ms really needs to start making their developers read about the open standards. Surprisingly, Apple is a lot better at it than Ms.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with using ping to test DNS :rolleyes:

:D Never mind. I don't think you understand how new DNS servers are configured after everyone went nuts over it for the last four weeks. This is too long to discuss over this forum and thread will get hijacked. When trying to find errors, it is better to test from the source to destination on application level tester. I don't expect users to understand. Anyway, let's wait for how far Baker has went.

Honestly, Im not sure how to check that.

let those other guys argue amongst themselves.... to continue testing your issue, do the following:

start -> run... -> cmd

from there type:

ipconfig /all

look for the line that tells you the DNS server

once you verify all PC's have the same info for DNS, you know that it's not a configuration issue.

if they are all the same, try doing this from the command prompt:

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\[username]>nslookup
*** Can't find server name for address <your-default-dns>: Non-existent domain
Default Server:  UnKnown
Address:  <your-default-dns>

> www.google.com
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  <your-default-dns>

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    www.l.google.com
Addresses:  74.125.47.147, 74.125.47.99, 74.125.47.103, 74.125.47.104
Aliases:  www.google.com

> server 4.2.2.1
Default Server:  vnsc-pri.sys.gtei.net
Address:  4.2.2.1

> www.google.com
Server:  vnsc-pri.sys.gtei.net
Address:  4.2.2.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    www.l.google.com
Addresses:  74.125.47.147, 74.125.47.99, 74.125.47.103, 74.125.47.104
Aliases:  www.google.com

>

the first will test your default dns server lookup. then you change the server (not for your pc, just for the nslookup) to a public dns server. this will test your ability to lookup servers from anywhere outside your network. if this works and the first one doesn't, you have a problem connecting to your local dns server. perhaps try the netsh command someone else mentioned above.

post your results so we can go from there.

It has to logon or find the tracker server. If DNS setting was the issue, he wouldn't even logon to p2p.

in his first post

Hey everyone. I have a friend who cannot connect to the internet, but however can connect to and use Bearshare (gasp!).

ummm... bearshare does not use a tracker. Hence it requires no DNS.

JBaker, try this http://majorgeeks.com/download4372.html
since he apparently uses bearshare, it's possible he got something that pooched the winsock, which CAN affect DNS.
I've used it many times to fix issues.

and I skipped through a lot of the damn bickering, so I'm not sure if he was able to ping anything? I mighta skipped through it.

Oh god... I guess routing isn't important in Windows OS.
Right. Sniffer will NOT tell you anything.
I guess you boys know exactly what you doing. I will hand this off.
Yea, you don't need DNS for anything. Everything is hard coded in the application, because the networks in the Internet never changes. Yea, apps automatically finds the Gnutella network. Make sense to me.

</ends sarcasm>

I guess you boys know exactly what you doing. I will hand this off.

thank you, come again.

it's called basic troubleshooting.

please re-read post:

I did nslookup on google in command prompt and it timed out

hence, he obviously needs to make sure this isn't his problem before you blow it off and start looking elsewhere.

one step at a time. once we rule this out, feel free to add something constructive.

Digging this up. I use Comcast and they are actively blocking and redirecting packets.

Download Wireshark and you can see it with your own eyes.

Bearshare worked fine until three days ago and now won't connect. Called Comcast and they deny any packet manipulation, even thought I talked to an IT person there after the third supervisor I spoke to.

This is censorship of a service that I pay $50 a month for. Whom are they to say what I can and can't see, download, etc?

They are supposed to be a service provider.

Back