Cannot connect to domain "The specified domain either does..." W10 and W Ser 2008 R2

doug_7506

2[H]4U
Weird problem when I am trying to connect to the server.

Server: Windows Server 2008 R2
Client: Windows 10 Professional

This same problem is happening on 2 separate computers.

Whenever I go through the normal setup options to add a computer to the domain, After being prompted for my username and password to add the computer to the domain, I get the following error: "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted."

What is weird is that i can access the server fine by just entering //serverXX. I can also see the server fine. If I go to network, I can see the other clients on the network and the server.

I've tried to go into TCP/IP settings and Enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP. Didn't work.

I ran nltest /dsgetdc:<domain name> and ipconfig:

DCqOM0V.png

Let me know what you guys think.

Have you successfully joined Windows 10 Machines to the domain? What is the Domain Functional level? I've had issues with IPV6 causing resolution issues if it is not configured properly on the domain.

^ What he said. As a test. Let's try disabling IPv6 on the Windows 10 machine temporarily and see if DNS resolution stabilizes.

also try doing FQDN for domain name.
domain.local or whatever it is.

I've occasionally had that issue, and using FQDN worked.

What DNS server is the client machine pointing at? If it is anything other than the IP of the domain controller, then you will have problems.

What a bunch of great info/suggestions. I will post back tomorrow once I'm back at work and have the comp in front of me.

Uh, I've had this problem on my work network that none of the boxes upgraded to Win10 will reconnect to the Samba Ubuntu server domain. I tried loads of things, adding settings in the registry for netlogin strength and whatnot, but none of it worked. However I just tried again after disabling IPv6 in the network adaptors for each box - and now I can add them just fine!

The sad thing is I'm the sysadmin at work, but my only qualification for the role is "generic nerd". Anyway, thanks guys, you solved my problem by proxy!

Back