Cannot browse DirecTV.com; router issue?

zero2dash

Supreme [H]ardness
I think I've tried everything possible but wanted to throw this out there and see what suggestions I get.

• Charter Internet 100/3
  • TP-LINK Archer C7 AC1750 router

I cannot browse www.directv.com.
I can ping it from both a command prompt and the router itself.
I can traceroute it.

Whether on wired or wireless, I cannot browse it. I get a page that says "Access Denied".
hYL0bJb.png

I've tried:
  • Flushing DNS
  • Using different DNS (use OpenDNS; tried using Charter's and Google)
  • Rebooting the router/computers
  • Shutting down my Tor relay
  • Different browsers (Exploder)
  • Resetting Chrome
  • Disabling all extensions
  • Clearing browser history/cookies
  • Viewing page by IP rather than name

I thought at first maybe Charter was blocking it for some reason, but I can view it from work (we also have Charter). I've checked with DirecTV and of course get the "problem on your end, the site is up". I can view the site from AT&T & Sprint cell service on my smartphones.

If I start my VPN (Private Internet Access), I can browse it.

The one thing that makes no sense to me is that I can ping and traceroute it from home, yet I can't browse to it....that is what really has me baffled. I would say "maybe my IP is blocked" but then I wouldn't think I'd be able to ping or traceroute it (as well as obviously not being able to browse it).

I'm going to try another router when I get home, but I don't see anything set in the C7 that would be blocking the site from loading. Also, I'm having no issues with any other sites.

If you've got any ideas/suggestions, please pass them along. TIA

Last edited:
When you ping it from work or over the VPN, do you get the same IP address as when you ping it from home?

I don't think a company like DirectTV would use the default Apache "Forbidden" error document, they'd have their own custom one. It looks like your traffic is getting redirected somewhere.

I get the same IP pinging from home and work -
If I ping www.directv.com, I get Pinging e6691.g.akamaiedge.net [23.197.17.9]
If I ping directv.com, I get Pinging directv.com [147.21.65.14]

While on the VPN, pinging www.directv.com I get Pinging e6691.g.akamaiedge.net [23.207.35.153]
Pinging directv.com is the same as above (Pinging directv.com [147.21.65.14])

I would assume the change in Akamai is only because I'm on another server and it's picking the closer Akamai one. (Not picking what server to connect to in PIA usually gets me the US Texas server, which it was in this case)

I haven't had anything happen that would make me suspicious of a redirect/infection. (Running Avira Free, have seen no detections pop up.)

What about trying with your phones on your routers Wifi?

No bueno....doesn't load.

I ran Wireshark to check the packets; I don't see anything out of the ordinary when I try to go to the site. It looks like the DNS queries and everything, but then just doesn't load.

I'm running MBAM now for shits n grins....I dunno, just doesn't make any sense.

I'm on DHCP, so I get a different address based on my MAC address. (I know when I switched from an N750 to the C7, my external IP changed.) I'm wondering if my external IP is somehow blocked by DirecTV but again, I would think if my IP was blocked on their end, I couldn't ping or traceroute it either. I'm still a 97.86.x.x. (This wasn't an issue for sure with the N750)

Last edited:
No bueno....doesn't load.

I ran Wireshark to check the packets; I don't see anything out of the ordinary when I try to go to the site. It looks like the DNS queries and everything, but then just doesn't load.

I'm running MBAM now for shits n grins....I dunno, just doesn't make any sense.

I'm on DHCP, so I get a different address based on my MAC address. (I know when I switched from an N750 to the C7, my external IP changed.) I'm wondering if my external IP is somehow blocked by DirecTV but again, I would think if my IP was blocked on their end, I couldn't ping or traceroute it either. I'm still a 97.86.x.x. (This wasn't an issue for sure with the N750)

Run MBAM all you want but its not an issue with your computer if the phone wont work either.

Its something between your router and directv.com

Edit: Hook your computer directly up to your cable modem removing your router from the mix. Let us know.

do you have a static IP? If not, reboot your modem and router and see ig you get a new IP address. Retest if you do.

If you get the same IP address, log into your router, spoof the MAC to something else and again reboot the router and cable modem. This should definitely get you a new IP.

The IP that your router currently has is blocked on their web servers. It is likely just a deny statement in the htaccess. Turn off your router and modem for 35 minutes and then turn it back on. In that time someone else will likely grab the IP that you had. If that does not work call Charter and have them force an IP change.

Yeah, removing the router and going modem -> computer gave me a new IP and I was able to get the site to load.

I hooked back up the router and did a release/renew and it was able to grab a completely different IP and now can browse it.

Thanks for the tidbits guys :)

I had tried doing so before but it kept grabbing the same IP....I guess since some time had elapsed, the DHCP (on Charter's end) finally gave me a new one.

the cause is b/c your WAN IP address is on a blocklist and classified as an anonymous proxy.

I have been dealing with Directv support for the past couple days because I continue to receive an 'Access Denied' message when trying to access their website and was told by their support that because I'm also acting as a Tor relay, that's why I'm blocked. See directv's response:

"After giving the network engineers all the information you provided they sent this response back they stated they are working on a solution but for the time being to not use Tor to access DTV.com
XX.XX.XX.XX is the IP that was blocked. It was blocked due to the “Block Anonymous Proxy rule”.
Specifically this IP address is associated with the Tor Network. it still appears the best option is for the customer to not use the Tor network to accesswww.directv.com and to remove their IP Address from all Tor exit node lists."

I followed up with a couple questions (like the fact that i'm not an exit relay and only a middle relay and what i have to do to have my IP reinstated). Something about this feels wrong since I only receive TV from them and receive my internet access from a different ISP. Should they be allowed to place these restrictions upon their users?

Back