Cannot adjust XFX 8800GT fan setting. Help! =(

Sherlock2101

Weaksauce
Hello guys.

I really need your help.
Well, I bought XFX 8800GT Video Card from newegg recently and received it yesterday.
When I turned on the computer, the gpu fan sound quite loud - so I'm suspecting that it's
running at 100% speed. I tried adjusting the fan speed using ntune & rivaturner... but
there's no luck ( meaning I don't see any changes. ) Is there any way for me to fix this
problem? I can't stand it if it's this loud all the time... Its getting on my nerves. =/

Welcome to my life :p I think XFX was cheap and didn't bother with any sort of fan controls
because my 8600's fan is 100% all the time too and it's damn anoying.

I don't see where the fan setting problem would lie on a hardware level, especially if the XFX card is of the reference design. I tend to have problems with Rivatuner regarding capable options if my drivers were not up to date or are acting funky...that must explain the issue of not being able to find fan control settings on Rivatuner.

So... does anyone know how to fix this problem? I really want to put rma as my last solution because if I had to do that, I would be computer-less for a week or so and that's a torture! :(

You have many options. Describe more clearly what happened when you attempted to change fanspeed. Rivertuner should work. Editing the bios also works.
xfxfb8.jpg

Sherlock2101..calm down first then read on..

Just follow this guide to the word and you are set. Make as many fan profiles you want to suit your need. I'm using fan duty cycles of 45%<60'C, 65%>60'C, 80%>65'C, 95%>70"C and 100%>75'C. I usually reach 65- 80% while gaming.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/article/449/

Note: This works for me only when i have the record temperature button clicked in Rivatuner. Think its cuz Rivatuner does not support my driver revision.

Here's your probable issue. My solution follows after the picture. There must have been a batch of them, because this is the third thread that I've seen in the last week.

I posted a thread about this exact thing last week. I bought a XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog Edition card from NewEgg and it was doing the exact same thing. Once I pulled the cooling assembly off the card, I was able to see that the wires to enable fan speed monitoring and adjustment were not connected, like so:

_DSC0774.jpg

XFX tech support told me that some of these cards made like this. I decided to just install a Zalman VF1000 cooler on mine.

Here's your probable issue. My solution follows after the picture. There must have been a batch of them, because this is the third thread that I've seen in the last week.

So is it connector on the end of the yellow/black wire that needs to be hooked up? If so, where does it plug in to? My Alpha Dog Edition is having this same problem: i.e. Fan is at 100% CONSTANTLY. Is there any chance NewEgg might allow me to RMA this and exchange it for an 8800GTS?

Though to be honest I am not in love with the idea of being without a video card for however many days it takes it process a return to either XFX or NewEgg then await reply of a replacement. Here is my thread for reference. Is this a user-serviceable problem? Meaning can I fix it without hacking up the card or voiding the hell out of my warranty?

The blue and green wires need to be run to the connector. Those control fan speed and monitoring. I didn't try to RMA the card; I just bought an aftermarket cooler.

or you can just get a zalman fan mate 2 and control the speed from there. i believe

I've had the exact same problem, the control/speed sensor cables are just inexistant. XFX is ready to RMA them though.
img1188rszty7.jpg

I would toss an S1 on it... cooler and quieter.. strap a low rpm 120mm fan to it and your good to go. I personally hate having to do RMA's.

I've had the exact same problem, the control/speed sensor cables are just inexistant. XFX is ready to RMA them though.
img1188rszty7.jpg

Hmm at least XFX has nice pink memory pads instead of the squished white stuff everybody else has.

Did you ever resolve this issue? I'm having the same problem on my new XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog

i am going to try Riva tuner.
I just got a 8800gt alpha dog as well and the fan is stuck on high.
This is to much sound.

Back