Canned Air for Cleaning ur RIG?

mr. nails

Limp Gawd
if u use a can of air to clean out ur rig. what is the best way to do it? just shoot the air from the can and clean? lol, i know, but not sure if that's all there is to it or not. i used to simply just blow into it with my own air, but figured this would be better? is there a better way? is the can air bad for system? is it good? anything else i missed? thx!

lol Yup.. Just take the can, and spray stuff with it. Just don't hold it upside down, or it comes out as a liquid and freezes stuff, and that's not good...

Yes, definitely just spray and watch the magic. The values of the contents are very interesting, as the outside of the can will get extremely cold if you hold it down. Use the can in short bursts.

Dark Assassin

Hello Mr. Nails. I"m Mr. Face.

One word of advice, do not hold the can upside down and spray it upon your testicles, it hurts.

Signed,
Mr. Face :eek:

Also, unless you are running intercooled turbo fans, don't try to hit 15K RPM with your CPU fan with the compressed air. Well, OK, not more than once.....:D.

B.B.S.

One last tip

Compressed Air cans are fine to use on anything inside the PC BUT please for the love of god DONT use a high pressure compressor.

I have seen one person want to remove ALL dust from their PC. They used a compressor and wound the presure up as high as it would go (thinking that the higher the pressure the cleaner it would get it). Upon using the attached high presure nozzle he saw some of the electronic components come flying off the mobo at great speed. It realy cleaned the mobo, along with his wallet.

Ill reitterate - CANS ARE FINE, COMPRESSORS ARE NOT

Originally posted by qwakrz

I have seen one person want to remove ALL dust from their PC. They used a compressor and wound the presure up as high as it would go (thinking that the higher the pressure the cleaner it would get it). Upon using the attached high presure nozzle he saw some of the electronic components come flying off the mobo at great speed. It realy cleaned the mobo, along with his wallet.

Ill reitterate - CANS ARE FINE, COMPRESSORS ARE NOT

pwned. ;) :p

Just regulate the pressure and a compressor is fine. Cranking it up and close range = bad. The other risk from a compressor is some moisture in the air.

a vacume works well expecialy if you have one that will blow the air out with out empting the contents. also helps to keep it all clean have it running when using the can air so the dust just does not just lay aroung and end up back in the computer.

BE careful, frozen propellant on superheated surfaces = damage

Short burst indirect methodology.

let every thing cool down befor you clean it so nothing is hot if it is room tempeture letting it get realy cool will cool the processer down when you start it up might alow some cool effects and every thing warms and you keep it cool witht he air. just dont stop wonce you start.

air alone doesnt work
most of the time if you clean at an angle, the dust will collect in 1 spot
i do that, then when all the dust is at the back of the case, i hoover it out.
takes me 30 seconds to clean out the whole thing.

I normally bring the comps outside on a breezy day. This way as the compressed air blows the dust free, it doesn't settle in or near the case. Plus by the breeze getting the dust the hell out of my face, there is a lot less coughing.

Originally posted by BlownFuse
I normally bring the comps outside on a breezy day. This way as the compressed air blows the dust free, it doesn't settle in or near the case. Plus by the breeze getting the dust the hell out of my face, there is a lot less coughing.

And then it starts raining....:D
Actaully, this isn't a bad idea. Just be sure where you're doing it.

I use canned air for regular cleaning. Follow the instructions on the can: short bursts, and don't tilt the can.

Another GREAT cleaning product is CRC's Quick-Drying Contact Cleaner (from Home Depot). I smoke, and my Audigy had a nice thin layer of dust/tar that I couldn't blow off. I took the card out, sprayed it with contact cleaner and let it drain onto a paper towel. Looked like new. Just follow the directions and don't get it in your eyes.

Originally posted by Pixeleet
And then it starts raining....:D
Hehe ... yeah, that happened one day.
Spend 45 minutes disconnecting everything and getting them set-up outside on the steps ... halfway done cleaning, and one freaking cloud comes through and starts tinkling on me.
My wife thought the commotion I raised getting everything back inside was quite humorous - considering the tinkling only lasted about 5 minutes. :rolleyes:
I guess mother nature needs a good laugh sometimes too.

I use a thing called ReAir it's a reusable can with a hand pump. It works good. I leave my comp on when cleaning and start at the front and work to the back so the dust gets blown out the back.

Originally posted by Mike Williams
I use a thing called ReAir it's a reusable can with a hand pump. It works good. I leave my comp on when cleaning and start at the front and work to the back so the dust gets blown out the back.

how exactly does that work? vacuum? ...huh?

after cleaning your case. turn it on your keyboard. and be sure and get good down and deep inside the keys.

The vacuum idea isn't that bad of an idea.

If you have a vacuum that has a hose, keep the hose half-into the PC while you shoot short bursts using canned air. The dust will go everywhere, but the vacuum will suck it in.

Not only does it keep you from coughing, but it also keeps that same dust from going back into the computer.

Originally posted by HRslammR
after cleaning your case. turn it on your keyboard. and be sure and get good down and deep inside the keys.

good idea. so worried about dust in pc i prob would had forgot about this. thx.

How long do these compressed air cans work for? I mean they seem pretty expensive, like $10-15 for a can of.. .air? I would hate to see it be finished within one cleaning of the computer...

I personally have a can sitting right next to me and I've had it for over a month now. I cleaned my rig thoroughly within this month, down to the hard drive removable bays and each individual case fan/heatsink. I still have well over half the can left and I've used a steady supply of it.

Trust me, it's worth the investment.

Dark Assassin

I dont know if you guys know this or not but vacuums are a good way to cause serious ESD damage to your hardware lol.

There are special ESD vacuums that industrys use to prevent ESD damage because they have conductive path-to-ground that eliminates most chances of ESD damage and they are used in electronics like computers.

If your vacuum isn't rated as ESD safe then dont use it around your computer.

I wouldn't be sticking a vacuum up in your case unless you wanna build up enough static electricity to try and run it without a power supply lol.

I was just thinking about the static with the vacuum thing when I got to Burningrave101's post. Good to suck up the stuff you blow loose but try to keep the vacuum away from the case unless it's one made to do this sort of work. Air compressors without coalescing drying units tend to put out small amounts of oil. Not the best thing to spread around the inside of your case either. I'm sticking with canned air thanks.:D

well you don't use the vacuum brush attachment...

you just use the open end somewhere near where you are dusting to suck the dust into the vacuum.

Also, best buy had a can of air on clearance for $3 for awhile. Now they are like 2 for $12 or something.

Back