Cancer sucks

Pocatello

DC Moderator and [H]ard DCOTM x6
Staff member
My maternal grandfather had prostate cancer when he died. But he died of other causes in his mid 80's.

My father has prostate cancer and is getting some low level treatment. However, he is 82 years old and so aggressive treatment is not necessary.

What really sucks is that my brother, who is 50 years old, had surgery today to remove or treat his prostate cancer. I don't know how serious it is... and I am no expert on any cancers, let alone prostate cancer. But having cancer surgery at age 50 really sucks.

I am a few years younger than my brother. I hope the prostate cancer demons avoid me and my son. {at least my daughter will be spared prostate cancer!!!}

p.s. I had surgery today on my shoulder. Arthroscopic surgery to repair and reduce the bursa. The bursa is some fluid filled pillow in your shoulder. Bursitis is when the bursa is swollen and inflamed. It is a pretty simple surgery and the recovery time is short. I am filled with some good pain meds right now. If you ever have trouble elevating your arm above your shoulder and the pain keeps you awake at night and/or lasts a long time, then I would suggest going to your doctor for treatment. This is my second time I have had this surgery... the first time was on the other shoulder about 5 years ago.

I have had pain in my dominant shoulder (I am right handed) for about a year. Over the winter I assumed that the pain would go away because I stopped most physical activities like swinging a hammer and moving lumber around. But as the weather improved I started to work on my folding/server room and I found that I was in constant pain. Swinging a hammer overhead was really painful! I would feel pain for days and days later. It was especially painful trying to sleep at night.

Rather than slow my project, I decided to go ahead with the surgery so that I can finish my folding/server room sometime this calendar year so that I can get my folding room up and running.

I need to update my folding/server room thread with some new pictures. My project is coming along well. Depending on my recovery time I may be able to finish it this year. I have the money... I just need the time and the ability to work in the garage on my folding room.

Wow, some heavy stuff in there.

Hope everything turns out OK with the fam.

Fold on brothers and sisters!

my prayers go out to you and your family :)

it's recommended to men around their 50s to have prostate cancer check-up at least annually, so... ;)

Fold for the cure!!!

Pocatello - sorry to hear about all that, really. It is very common among men. My dad is 66 and had his prostate out a 1 1/2 years ago. Doctor says I am 4x more likely to get it. I got checked right away back then but didn't bother to schedule this year's appointment. Any man over 40 or with a family history should have regular check ups. I should listen to my own advice and I hope some of you will too.:eek: Best wishes for a healthy future for you and your family.

Sorry to hear about that. My thoughts and prayers are with your family. Good luck in the future.

After reading this I launched a third instance of the uni-processor client to run tonight and tomorrow during summer I finals.

My maternal grandfather had prostate cancer when he died. But he died of other causes in his mid 80's.

My father has prostate cancer and is getting some low level treatment. However, he is 82 years old and so aggressive treatment is not necessary.

What really sucks is that my brother, who is 50 years old, had surgery today to remove or treat his prostate cancer. I don't know how serious it is... and I am no expert on any cancers, let alone prostate cancer. But having cancer surgery at age 50 really sucks.

I am a few years younger than my brother. I hope the prostate cancer demons avoid me and my son. {at least my daughter will be spared prostate cancer!!!}

p.s. I had surgery today on my shoulder. Arthroscopic surgery to repair and reduce the bursa. The bursa is some fluid filled pillow in your shoulder. Bursitis is when the bursa is swollen and inflamed. It is a pretty simple surgery and the recovery time is short. I am filled with some good pain meds right now. If you ever have trouble elevating your arm above your shoulder and the pain keeps you awake at night and/or lasts a long time, then I would suggest going to your doctor for treatment. This is my second time I have had this surgery... the first time was on the other shoulder about 5 years ago.

I have had pain in my dominant shoulder (I am right handed) for about a year. Over the winter I assumed that the pain would go away because I stopped most physical activities like swinging a hammer and moving lumber around. But as the weather improved I started to work on my folding/server room and I found that I was in constant pain. Swinging a hammer overhead was really painful! I would feel pain for days and days later. It was especially painful trying to sleep at night.

Rather than slow my project, I decided to go ahead with the surgery so that I can finish my folding/server room sometime this calendar year so that I can get my folding room up and running.

I need to update my folding/server room thread with some new pictures. My project is coming along well. Depending on my recovery time I may be able to finish it this year. I have the money... I just need the time and the ability to work in the garage on my folding room

Interesting. I had that Bursitis in one of my knees around 8/9 yrs ago and could hardly walk.
My regular doctor tried to treat it with Vicodin and physical therapy but it didnt help.
I finally went to an Orthepedic surgeon and he gave me a cortisone shot in the knee. I havent had the problem since then.

I lost both my parents to cancer so it scares me too. Besides the prostate exam we are supposed to get the colonostrophy exam too which Im really trying to avoid.

Yeah brother Pocatello, my prayers are with you and your family :). My heart felt condolences for the loss of your Grandfather :( I honestly hope your father gets some appropriate treatment and whips cancers a$$ :) I kind of know where you're coming from because I lost my real mother in '67 to that f*cked up disease called breast cancer and lost my Dad to heart disease in the early '80's :(. I'm kinda' in a double jeopardy thing here, where I might croak from a heart attack while having a sorry sex life. (only kiddin', only the good die young and I missed the good boat many moons ago) :rolleyes:

Please take care of your shoulder problem and sweat your server room last (I know easier said than done :mad:)

Thanks for DCing :p

My dad had surgery for prostate cancer a few months or so ago. He's had a few checkups since then and so far everything looks good and it seems they got it all.

Hopefully your brother will end up with the same news my dad did.

Back