Cancer Death Rates Dropping Fast

Pocatello

DC Moderator and [H]ard DCOTM x6
Staff member
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20071015/D8S9L9LO0.html

My grandfather died of colon cancer. Fold on for the Cure!

While it remains the nation's No. 2 cancer killer, deaths are dropping faster for colorectal cancer than for any other malignancy - by almost 5 percent a year among men and 4.5 percent among women.

_Cancer mortality is improving faster among men, with drops in death rates of 2.6 percent a year compared with 1.8 percent a year for women.

_Lung cancer explains much of the gender difference. Male death rates are dropping about 2 percent a year while female death rates finally are holding steady after years of increases. Smoking rates fell for men before they did for women, so men reaped the benefits sooner.

_Overall, the rate of new cancer diagnoses is inching down about one-half a percent a year.

_New breast cancer diagnoses are dropping about 3.5 percent a year, a previously reported decline due either to women shunning postmenopausal hormone therapy or to fewer getting mammograms.

This question has probably been asked before, but have our DC efforts contributed to any measurable improvements in the human condition as yet?

I am overjoyed to see that rates for these types of cancers are dropping, but it sounds as if early diagnosis and lifestyle changes were the driving forces behind these latest numbers. I would love to hear that some nubbin' cranking away out there, turned in a WU that helped unlock a potential cure, or perhaps the last link in a miracle medicine.

Anything like that happening?

This question has probably been asked before, but have our DC efforts contributed to any measurable improvements in the human condition as yet?

I am overjoyed to see that rates for these types of cancers are dropping, but it sounds as if early diagnosis and lifestyle changes were the driving forces behind these latest numbers. I would love to hear that some nubbin' cranking away out there, turned in a WU that helped unlock a potential cure, or perhaps the last link in a miracle medicine.

Anything like that happening?

I asked this question about a year and a half ago, and BillR was kind enough to point me to an improved prostate cancer test based upon protein detection. Apparently FAH was useful there.

Edit*** found a news article today that makes me suspect they used FAH data as well; and developed at Stanford as well: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7041192.stm

Back