Canceled"cram everything into a old case"

Status
Not open for further replies.

dany man

Limp Gawd
I'm a big sleeper guy, weather it be shoehorning a v8 into a pinto or Chevette or putting a new system into a old case. Its just my thing.

So for this build I'm going to be building something for myself. I tend to build things for others or to sell, but today its all about me. I only use my PC for playing older games, I keep it offline almost 24/7 and I have like 2 newish games I play, FalloutNV and M&B. So this build will likely turn some heads with my pick of parts.

The case will be a Legend 130CD Supreme
100_0926.jpg

Yeah its small for such a old system, its an LPX case too so yeah fitting a ATX system in it will be hard.

Most of the parts will be stuff I already had setting around.
For the motherboard I'll be using a MSI Z370M GAMING PRO AC. I bought it a ways back for a HTPC build and the buyer backed out. So why not put it to good use?
CPU, I got to go with the i3-8350k. I'm going with this CPU because I need the best single core performance one can get.
GPU, I'll be using a low profile 1650. If I can ever find two Id love to use 2 low profile 950gtx in SLI because why not?
For a monitor I'm defiantly going for a CRT. I have a 20 incher. Tops out at 2048×1536p at 70hz. Not to bad. Sad thing is, no modern GPU can drive it. CRTs are not like LCDs. You need a very good DAC to drive higher resolutions. So I'll have to spend big on a DP to VGA thingy. :(
PSU will be a simple 650w seasonic. Id say there is nothing to see here, but I'll be making custom cables for it.
The OS will be Linux and if I can make it work 7 and it will be installed on a 512gb M2 drive

Now on to the fun stuff. Id love to water cool the system. I have the parts. But Im on the fence for or or water

Personally I want to use my old gold koolance blocks as is would look really cool having all black parts with gold blocks.
For a rad I have quite a few to pick from. I have alot of 80mm and 92mm rads I use for sleepers, a 240mm and a few 360mm rads.

Id likely use a the scythe big shuriken 3 if I went air.

I'm not sure what I'll put the in the ODD and floppy bay. I was going to put a very early DVD-RAM drives and LS-120 drive in it, that would be cool But Id never use them. Id have to fight with old IDE drives if I used them.
I may put the cover from a 5.25 and 3.5" floppy drive in the bays. This will give me a tick of air flow.
But that is a detail that will have to wait.

Last edited:
Ok, so tonight I'll be making the custom sized cables for the PSU. I'm just going to cut and shrink wrap the cables. Will update with photos once I'm done.

Last edited:
Ok, so I couldn't find my wire strippers so I only removed the extra wires from the PSU that I knew I would not be using.
I did get the old koolance cpu-300 block to work. I was amazed that the sk478 mounts worked on with nothing more then drilling the screw holes and using a nut and bolt in place of the threaded Insert on the mounts.

Attachments

• IMG_20190904_223817546.jpg
    IMG_20190904_223817546.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20190904_223841835.jpg
    IMG_20190904_223841835.jpg
    597.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sounds sweet so far!
I vote water, bur that's mostly because it's not my wallet paying for it. :)

I think this is a really cool idea, I hope it turns out really well. Can't wait for some more progress pics.

I always wished one of the big mobo makers would do some sort of throw back series with old school looking green PCBs and as little heatsinks as necessary. That way I could get those swiftech mini copper heatsinks and stick them everywhere!
35-108-071-04.jpg

I think this is a really cool idea, I hope it turns out really well. Can't wait for some more progress pics.

I always wished one of the big mobo makers would do some sort of throw back series with old school looking green PCBs and as little heatsinks as necessary. That way I could get those swiftech mini copper heatsinks and stick them everywhere!
View attachment 185294
Asus's still has green pcb mobos. Nothing like a z390 or anything

Sounds sweet so far!
I vote water, bur that's mostly because it's not my wallet paying for it. :)
Well water will be cheaper as I have that parts. Going air I'd have to get a single slot card or low profile card and a air cooled heatsink for the CPU.

Last edited:
My worst work ever. I didn't even size the wires evenly. But to be honest I don't really care. So much will be cramed into this little case that making the cables look nice and fancy is worth less. And let's be frank, crimping wires sucks. Cutting soldering and srink wrap is far faster.

Anyway I only got the CPU 8pin done. Cut a little over half of it out.

Attachments

• IMG_20190905_232124577.jpg
    IMG_20190905_232124577.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 0
I started to shorten up the ATX cables the same way I did the 8 pin. I have to say, I really hate the way I'm doing this.
I cut cables like this before but I would have never knew they would come out so crappy looking in a small case. Now I wish I cut the ends off and recrimped them.

Well to late now :( but I an kinda doing it right, I'm soldering the splices together.

Well I'm am a idiot. I did all these measurements to make sure everything would fit in the case but I forget to measure my desk. The case is too deep for my desk.

Basically I will have to put it at and angle and put my keyboard off to the side, egh.

My worst work ever. I didn't even size the wires evenly. But to be honest I don't really care. So much will be cramed into this little case that making the cables look nice and fancy is worth less. And let's be frank, crimping wires sucks. Cutting soldering and srink wrap is far faster.

Anyway I only got the CPU 8pin done. Cut a little over half of it out.
I'm waiting for the "Worklog cancelled, I dropped something onto the socket and bent 99 pins" post/

haha, I did drop some flux on the board when shortening the cables. But thats cleans up well.
I'm still going to sorta finish it. But sadly no desk room is a deal barker for daily use. The hole point of using this case was to free up desk space.
It will free up a little, but having to put the mouse and keyboard off to the side and siting at an angle at my desk defeats the purpose.
I'll put the system in my mid 90s server case or get a 350d and paint it beige. I think the 350d would look good beige and its kinda has that early 90s square server look anyway.

What about under the desk?

Attachments

• 20180913_235947.jpg
    20180913_235947.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back