Canadian Water Cooling idea .... but I need help

bonkrowave

2[H]4U
Thoose in the know, Please Answer

While we are on the subject ..... I have a question about watercooling !

I am about to make my foray into watercooling and I have an idea that I would like to try. I am worried about one thing tho. Condensation

Since I live in Canada, I thought it would be a good idea to use the Canadian climate to my example. I am looking at the Swiftech H220 kit But I would like to make some alterations to increase cooling. The idea I have is since my computer is so close to a window ... why not stick the radiator in the window to cool down the water. It only seems logical that cooling water further would increase performace, much the same way a cool day gives a noticable increase to my 944.

So since I work at a metal Place I am already in the process of having a shroud for the raditor that will fit in my window (kinda like thoose plates for window air conditoning. Although this one will have a hood to prevent the elements from getting directly on the rad. It will also be foam backed to keep the cold from bringing my apartment to sub-zero temps.

This all seems logical to me .. except with very cool temperatures I am worried of condenation building up around CPU socket. Will this happen and is there a way to get rid of it. Also if I mix antifreeze in the water I would suspect the ice will not block flow through the rad.

Also would it be a good idea to locate the resevoir near the window as well ? to cool holding water ??

Anyway let me know I am just a huge asshat ... or if I really have something here.

Thanks

haha i'm up north too and once considered doing that, but i didn't want my room to freeze all the time. that and condensation will happen it's almost garaunteed. you can insulate your socket etc... guys with pelts know all about it. you can get some neoprene and put it around the socket (on both sides) and also some non conductive gel that they use.

just fyi though, you won't be able to move your system anywhere and it might not look so great. also it might be a lot of maintenance since you'll have to change your overclock weekly to vary with the temp if it gets warmer haha

I dont know how much effect putting the rad out there would have. If it brings the temp in the tubes far enough below ambient condensation will occur. if the temp is low enough you will need to insulate not just the waterblocks but all of the tubes. The rad will have to have the fan outside as well to blow from outside to outside or would you not use a fan?

One thing people consistantly fail to realize is that colder ambient air will not hold as much moisture. Therefore, it takes much colder temperatures to cause condensation. Anyone who has spent time in a cold climate and had chapped lips because of it, knows how dry the air is. Unless he's running a humidifyer, he should have no problems if it is that cold outside. Relative humidity is a function of the regional climate, as the temp drops outside, so does the air's ability to hold moisture. I use a window AC unit as a waterchiller (this is in high humidity FL BTW) and with 17*C water temps, I have never had an issue with condensation as the AC drys the air in addition to cooling it.
Like I said, unless your humidifying the indoor air, using outdoor air to cool a system should never cause condensation.

dont assume condensation wont appear
i thought the same thing, i live in Colorado which has normally fairly low humidites
i had bad condensation once, cpu pins started rusting, LOL causing weird behavior

if youre below ambient insulate, be safe, its just some time and very little money

But the ambiant air is not cooler. The air inside the room will be warm still and is not being dryed by any air conditioner. When the cold water comes into the system inside the room there will be condensation. Depending on where in Canada he lives he may be looking at outdoor temps hitting the -15 to -25c range in the middle of winter. I lived in Edmonton Alberta for a winter . It hit those temps regularly. He may be way more below ambient than just 5-10c. The moisture in the air from just his breath will condense on the tubes if the diff in temps is big enough.

Theres also the question of what happens to the water if you turn your comp off. The water in the rad may freeze.Theres a reason you have to plug in your cars rad out there. a 60% antifreeze mixture can turn to slush and crack your block so a comps 5-10% mix wouldnt stand much chance.

Bonkrowave, whats the warmest temps you guys see up there? I grew up in MN and the summer temps actually get pretty hot. During winter, (sub 32*F temps) I would not expect to see any condensation unless you are somehow introducing moisture to the air inside your home. However, during warmer months, the warmer daytime air will accumulate moisture and if the night time is significantly cooler, the moisture can condense back out of the air and form on anything no matter what it's temp. This shouldn't be a problem indoors, but it's something to think about.
Since your original question was in reguards to using cold climate air to cool a radiator, I posted about not having issues with condensation. But if you do experience warmer weather as well, then doing this as a permanant fixture may have it's issues. If that is the case, then insulating would indeed be a good idea.

Back