Canadian VOIP provider and recommended hardware

MetalDwarf

[H]ard|Gawd
I just canceled my Telus phone and DSL, switching to TekSavvy Dry DSL.

I want to start using VOIP, for phone calls, I am looking for unlimited long distance as i call Vancouver and Edmonton frequently.

I would like a "pick up the phone and dial" experience, i do not want to make calls from the computer. i also do no want to have the phone connect to the computer, but directly to my router. (in case i turn the computer off, it crashes yadda yadda)

I am willing to buy a Voip adapter or voip phone hardware. i essentially want the normal landline experience but using VOIP. what is the best way for me to achieve this? hardware and service provider are where i need the most help. i also dont want to roll my own astrix server or the like.

thanks!

edit: im in victoria bc

Im not exactly sure if this is what you are looking for but i use a company called voip.ms and it works well, Not sure if it will do what you are looking for as i use it on pay as you go terms. Also i got a unlocked linksys voip adapter and just use a regular phone.

I would recommend voip.ms also. I pay $7.95 for I think 3000 minutes or something like that and a local number.

May I suggest freephoneline.ca? You get a free phone number that's local in major cities, free voicemail and free calling to all major cities in Canada. The only thing that isn't free is the config file and setup to be able to use a hardwired phone, as they use custom software that runs on your computer if you'd like to use it for free. The upside to this is that its only a one time $50 fee. Anyone can call your number and you can call basically anywhere in canada, they even offer long distance services too, but those have monthly charges.

i bought a cisco/linksys PAP2T voip adapter. $60
signed up with voip.ms
transferred my telus landline number and so far so good
$1.99/month and about half a cent per minute anywhere in the world.

Back