Canadian Forces Orders 500 Video Games

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like the men and women of the Canadian Forces will be busy getting their game on during the holidays. The Canadian Press reports that a delivery of 500 games is headed to the supply depot for the armed forces in Eastern Canada. Thanks to Wallace B. for the link.

"Gears of War." "Call of Duty." "Mortal Kombat." "Assassins Creed." Those are among some 500 copies of popular video games that Canada's military ordered this week, many of them shoot-'em-ups for combat-loving gamers in uniform. The list also includes distinctly unwarlike titles, such as "Guitar Hero 3," "The Beatles Rock Band," and "Tiger Woods 2011."

If they get black ops it will be detrimental to their armed forces. Theyll think you can complete missions without firing weapons :D

Oh great. So now our highlanders will be all like "FOR QUEEN AND COONTRAY", and then smack Timmy in the head. While Timmy is standing there dazed, an omnipresent voice will shout out "FINISH HIM" and the highlanders will perform the regimental FATALITY. Then they'll go to Tim Horton's.

Actually, that doesn't sound so bad.

It is about time we do something good for our men and woman in the armed forces.

Pinksen_B.jpg

Corporal Brian Pinksen

Hometown: Corner Brook , Newfoundland and Labrador

Unit: 2nd Battalion , Royal Newfoundland Regiment

Deceased: August 30, 2010

Incident: Improvised explosive device, Panjwa'i District, Afghanistan.

And the rest:
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/news-nouvelles/fallen-disparus/index-eng.asp

just wait until this gets fully out... and the public / news points out how much of our tax payer money went for this.

just wait until this gets fully out... and the public / news points out how much of our tax payer money went for this.

This is news is from last week, so it's fully out in the media. (see link)

$50 x 500 = $25,000? *Shrugs* Sounds really cheap by military standards. If it helps our deployed soldiers relax, then I'm all for it!

As a PR move, game publishers development should really donate them though. (It would be tax deductible anyways).

Y.

As a serving member of the Canadian Forces in the Air Force (extremely proud of wearing the uniform), I can say that these games are probably headed overseas to the various troops stationed here, there and everywhere.

Our Canex doesn't give us sweet deals like the American's PX, and our ID's don't get us squat in civvie world except for 1-2 days a year in random locations,so I see no problem in the government footing the bill for some of my comrade's entertainment :)

Oh, I may add that although you see articles that the "Canadian Military" buys this stuff, often it's the Canex that does. Every purchase we make donates a small amount to a fund that they use to support the troops.

Looks like a good QOL (Quality of Life) initiative, wonder if its public funding vice the usual non-public funds (an NPF purchase this big though also has to be tendered out and when it hits PWGSC it shows as government).

It would be nice to know if these games are indeed on the way over to the guys in the sandbox. If you got DIN access you might be able to find more specifics here -- (not for public distribution or posting here) project database including funding source.

http://otg-vcd-webs018.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/Cid/project-home_e.asp

CID home, Level 1 Sponsors, CLS, Implementation, Project Type, Equipment??

Finally, something new to play other than Minesweeper and Pinball here in Cold Lake, AB

Go Riders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back