Canadian Anti-Piracy Coalition Calls For Website Blocking

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
For the first time in North America, a coalition of Canadian companies is calling for regulators to establish a piracy site blocking program. The coalition called "Fairplay Canada" consists of members including Bell, Cineplex, Directors Guild of Canada, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, Movie Theatre Association of Canada, and Rogers Media. The coalition calls for a block list to be maintained by a not yet established non-profit called “Independent Piracy Review Agency.”

I'm truly not a fan of censorship like this. In my opinion this is overreaching, and goes too far. And this just a day after research showed that piracy actually helps music sales.

“Bell is pleased to work with our partners across the industry and the CRTC on this important step in ensuring the long-term viability of the Canadian creative sector,” says Randy Lennox, President of Bell Media. “Digital rights holders need up-to-date tools to combat piracy where it’s happening, on the Internet, and the process proposed by the coalition will provide just that, fairly, openly and effectively,” he adds.

Doubt it will fly under our current government. This sort of initiative would fly much more easily if the conservatives get back in power.

If things keep going the way they are, I swear one of these days we'll be connecting to independent dial-up BBS systems again. And no I don't pirate, but I watch what large actors like China do and what other countries want to do.

Last edited:
blocking websites violates canadian net neutrality.

sorry bell you'll get fined AGAIN, like sooooo many times before.

also we have rules.

it's called notice and notice.

This just solidifies the fact that I've never been nor ever will be a Bell subscriber.

Did you miss the part it said "Rogers" too?
Well, I guess you will be fine if you lived in the west coast or prairies, where you will still have an option for Shaw.

And if you use someone like Teksavvy, who runs on the same network as Rogers or Bell, depending on location, then you are still screwed.

It's most annoying that this isn't in the news as much as it should be up here in Canada. I can't help but believe this will cause way more harm than good. First off, it is not the CRTC job to police the internet for copyright infringement, so what this CRTC Application is asking is for ISPs to provide a tool that copyright holders can use to file complaints against any website, which when "validated" (by the ISP) provides the authority to block all access to that site. I'm sure you can imagine ways for this to get abused.

There are already channels for reporting copyright abuse, but apparently holders are displeased with the response times of these systems. (e.g. a domain or IP might get blocked, but the content is merely redirected through another domain or IP... which is exactly what would happen with Fairplay regardless of how quickly it can respond.)

Fairplay is cheap, mildly effective rent-seeking method with the expense of additional censorship for all Canadians. It does nothing to encourage growth in the industry it claims to protect, and does not actually provide any improved solution to the problem it claims to solve.

blocking websites violates canadian net neutrality.

sorry bell you'll get fined AGAIN, like sooooo many times before.

also we have rules.

it's called notice and notice.

While I do consider this "Fairplay Canada" to be yet another uncouth and indefensible power grab, the notice and notice system is just as exploitable. (e.g. It provides a method for a foreign business to have phishing e-mails delivered to Canadian ISP customers by the ISP itself (abuse email), regardless of the legitimacy of the claim, along with options for out of court settlements. Easy revenue for a scam artist.) People need to realize that a certain level of copyright infringement will always exist regardless of what you do, and the best way to fight it is to grow the industry in ways to draw interest away from (or eclipse) any deprived activity.

Did you miss the part it said "Rogers" too?
Well, I guess you will be fine if you lived in the west coast or prairies, where you will still have an option for Shaw.

Maybe, I seem to recall Corus being part of this "Fairplay Canada" cabal and Corus is controlled by, you guessed it, Shaw.
Regardless, if just DNS blocking, most people will just use a different DNS server and maybe shell out for VPN.

It's when they inevitably start going after VPN that the shit will get interesting.

They mad because they apps only allow you to watch like three of their channels and other little providers let you watch all the channels on any device for 20-25% of the cost. Boohoo.

Canadian media providers know there's this thing called the Interwebs but they don't seem to know how to use it because they don't want to invest in some new switches and routers. Rogers, in particular, with thousands of people can't even make a proper streaming app to save their Canadian Bacon.

I'm surprised they're still not trying to peddle us DVD and Blu-Ray discs. And I thought Fair Play Canada was a new anti-cheating system for PUBG. Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

They mad because they apps only allow you to watch like three of their channels and other little providers let you watch all the channels on any device for 20-25% of the cost. Boohoo.

Canadian media providers know there's this thing called the Interwebs but they don't seem to know how to use it because they don't want to invest in some new switches and routers. Rogers, in particular, with thousands of people can't even make a proper streaming app to save their Canadian Bacon.

I'm surprised they're still not trying to peddle us DVD and Blu-Ray discs. And I thought Fair Play Canada was a new anti-cheating system for PUBG. Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

I still buy BluRays. Our crappy Internet infrastructure is the best argument against streaming, legit or otherwise! :mad:

Back